• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is Yamaha building sleds for 2021??

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
I follow all the brands and have seen NOTHING on 2021 Yamaha sleds. Are they going to build any or did they just fade off into the sunset?? I've owned all the brands and don't currently ride Yamaha, but the ones I have owned have liked a lot about them. Just curious if anyone has heard anything?

1madbird

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
West Bountiful, Utah
If you go to the Yamahaspecs.com website you can read some of the theories. It sounds like they are cutting there line up drastically and don't what to release any info so that dealers can get rid of there old stock. As we can see with the other manufactures once a new model comes out that is better then the old it becomes very hard to sell the old stock.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
If you go to the Yamahaspecs.com website you can read some of the theories. It sounds like they are cutting there line up drastically and don't what to release any info so that dealers can get rid of there old stock. As we can see with the other manufactures once a new model comes out that is better then the old it becomes very hard to sell the old stock.
Thanks.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Seems likely to me that Yamaha is just done. At least in the west, but likely the end seems near for their complete lineup. Sad sad story. Once upon a time they were my favorite brand to buy - by quite a wide margin.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Seems likely to me that Yamaha is just done. At least in the west, but likely the end seems near for their complete lineup. Sad sad story. Once upon a time they were my favorite brand to buy - by quite a wide margin.
I'm with ya. I love Yamaha products and have owned many over the years. In fact, if I still lived in the Midwest, I would certainly have a Sidewinder crossover. However, for the past 28 years, I have lived and ridden only in the Western mountains and the days of "only" point and shoot are minimal. Yamaha in my mind, made a poor decision in only producing four stroke sleds. I would argue they make the best four strokes in the World, but that's just not what 99% if Western riders want. It's all about weight and technical riding, and the current lineup of mountain four strokes take more effort to ride. There are those that would argue otherwise, and I appreciate and respect their opinion, but for me, I want lighter. If Yamaha came out with a new two stroke mountain sled, I would probably own one. As for Yamaha and their future, I think they have a strong following on the trails and will continue to sell strong in that market. I would love to see their total sales and how they break down. As with any large company, it comes down to dollars. Is it profitable? The Japanese are proud people. I don't expect them to give up on over 50 years of building snowmobiles, however, I think they need to swallow their pride and allow some outside thinking when it comes to developing a mountain sled. Of course this is just my opinion. Others will disagree and I welcome their opinions.

1madbird

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
West Bountiful, Utah
Ya I agree. I think if you live in the flat land they are great machines that will last for thousands of miles with little maintenance. I think if they could come up with a lighter chassis and lighter engine package with a turbo they would be the manufacture to beat.

A
Oct 14, 2019
I'm with ya. I love Yamaha products and have owned many over the years. In fact, if I still lived in the Midwest, I would certainly have a Sidewinder crossover. However, for the past 28 years, I have lived and ridden only in the Western mountains and the days of "only" point and shoot are minimal. Yamaha in my mind, made a poor decision in only producing four stroke sleds. I would argue they make the best four strokes in the World, but that's just not what 99% if Western riders want. It's all about weight and technical riding, and the current lineup of mountain four strokes take more effort to ride. There are those that would argue otherwise, and I appreciate and respect their opinion, but for me, I want lighter. If Yamaha came out with a new two stroke mountain sled, I would probably own one. As for Yamaha and their future, I think they have a strong following on the trails and will continue to sell strong in that market. I would love to see their total sales and how they break down. As with any large company, it comes down to dollars. Is it profitable? The Japanese are proud people. I don't expect them to give up on over 50 years of building snowmobiles, however, I think they need to swallow their pride and allow some outside thinking when it comes to developing a mountain sled. Of course this is just my opinion. Others will disagree and I welcome their opinions.
And of course, this is just in their snowmobile segment. They are still one of the leading manufacturers of motocross bikes and ATV's in the United States. Oh, and uh... what's that I hear? A guitar?

Premium Features