• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is there and easier steering ski?

rmk stu

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2008
Roseburg, Oregon
I know this is a bit of a rehashed question but......I am looking for a ski for my Nytro that is lighter steering. I currently have Simmons Gen2 and was wondering what the easiest steering ski would be? Stock? Gen3? any help appreciated. :face-icon-small-ton

grizzly7

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I tell ya, I really love my Curve xs skis!! Have them on my XTX and have used them mountain riding, considering putting them on my MTX.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
The MT9 ski off the 2012 nytro mtx steers easy. It has a very shallow keel compared to the previous mtn skis. I like the older skis better overall, but if you are looking for easy steering try the MT9.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Gen III are out. They are awsome in light powder but in any kind of setup spring conditions they are almost as hard as the Gen II's do to the dual keel design Anything with a single keel will be easier to steer. I keep reading posts from people going back to the stock 08-09 OEM mountain ski for all around performance. I have read some people did not like the new style found on the newer nytro sleds but skies are a very personal choice. Heard good things about Curves i heard that C&A are a little too aggressive for most people. Since the OEM ski is loosely based on the very popular powder pro ski which is praised for its all around performance, I hate to say it but I think the stock ski go blamed for the poorly designed geometry of the front end of the nytro. You might want to look into tweaking your rear suspension to see if you can take some weight off the front end of the sled to make it turn easier if you dont already have one get a steering relocator. it puts the steering into a more natural location making it easier to turn as well.

TRIPLESWILLNEVERDIE!

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2008
Northwest, MT
I know its not the same sled but I had a RX-1 turbo with yamaha MTX skis and was looking for less sterring effort. I ended up with a set of slydog powderhounds and it was night and day difference in steering effort.
I would not hesitate to run them on a Nytro.

turboyammy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Billings
My 2012 nytro skis r the easiest steering I've found. The push a lot in slow, off camber stuff but I don't mind since I have arthritis in my left shoulder and the other skis were tearing my shoulder up

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Skidoo pilot skis feel like power steering, I was surprised when I tried them on a turbo apex that was setup very nose heavy for chute climbing

clatla

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
MN
I could not be happier with my 8" Powder Hounds. They really seem to carry the heavy front end in the powder. They work very well on the trails also.

C

cjjeeper

Jan 31, 2012
curves

I going to say x2 on the curves. I have the C&A mtx skis too, had the stock mtx skis, the curves are much, much better ski in anything but powder.

Having said that, It is much more important to setup your suspension correctly on the front and the rear. It makes a night and day difference.

rmk stu

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2008
Roseburg, Oregon
I have done very little setup on the suspension and will have to do some homework on the subject. I believe the limiter strap is about in the middle position, the tighter the strap the more weight you take off the front end, right?

S

SNWMBL

Feb 14, 2010
AK
Other way around. Sucking up the limiter will put more weight on the skis. I run RMK Gripper skis and like them. They steer super easy and weigh 4 lbs less than a pair of factory MTX skis.

rmk stu

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2008
Roseburg, Oregon
Thanks SNWMBL for straightening me out on the limiter strap. You guys have given me some great options for skis, how do the handle on the trail? My simmons are a bear to steer but hold the trail well.

C

cjjeeper

Jan 31, 2012
preload

I have done very little setup on the suspension and will have to do some homework on the subject. I believe the limiter strap is about in the middle position, the tighter the strap the more weight you take off the front end, right?

Most trail guys run the second hole, I run my straps in the first hole.

Your front spring preload on the Nytro is most critical. There is a great thread on this already but basically you want to reduce your front spring preload from the stock setting (a lot).

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
i ended up going back to the stock skis on my 08. tried simmons gen 2, gen 3. way too hard to steer. Keep in mind the stock skis off a 2008 are different than the 2012 skis i believe those have the blow molded skis (look like crap imo) but may work

harrysmith500

Lifetime Membership
2u4a8epa.jpg

I put 50 miles on my gripper skis today. I loved them!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features