• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is the blast to small for a beginner/ wife?

P
Dec 15, 2018
They look cool and are reasonably affordable new. Would it work for small adult 5 foot 115lbs. Iam trying to figure out a safe easy cruisy no overheating sled for her and me too that can go off trail at least a little. Guys on you tube are going on them pretty good. I also was looking at an 550 indy Voyager 155 but why not save some money if I can? I dunno?

Z
Jan 26, 2011
That is exactly who this sled was made for. The smaller person or an older person who does not need a sled that will go 100 mph.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Not like you guys but we would experience roads and trails with deep snow. Were in Montana so a trail sled seemed bad. Was looking at a Polaris 550 155 but these are so cool lol. Iam new to snowmobiles and riding and I like it but I need to get everyone out there so when I come home they arent pissed I was gone. Shes 44 and fit but not a gear head . Seems snowmobiles are like biats...you need 4 or five different kinds.

deanross

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Cody WY
I’m 6’1, 180 lbs. I started out with some old late70’s sleds about 15 years ago so I was 46 years old at the time. The first mountain sled I purchased was an Arctic Cat 500 143” track. It took me lots of places, even off road. But CA. Powder is usually heavier than Montana but it would do fine if the powder was only a foot deep or so. It was leaps and bounds over the older sleds, but once my son bought an M1000, I had to get something bigger. I purchased an M8 and glad I did. If you are pretty sure you won’t be going off trail much it would probably be fine. You can always upgrade in the future it you find out it’s needed. Whatever you end up with, have fun!

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
I think she'll like the Blast. I am really leaning toward getting one for my wife, who's about the same size. We have her on an M6000 now, and it's just too big for her to ride well.

As for a Blast in the mountains, I think with your wife on it, it'll be fine. If you plan to put a 200lb guy on it and then keep up with your kid who rides a turbo M8, you're probably not going to like it...

My first mountain sled was a 570 Mountain Cat. It had a 136x1.4 track, about 65hp at sea level, and weighed about 460lbs dry. I took it a LOT of places you wouldn't think it would go, but I was about 150lbs at the time, and my buddies were 200lbs on 800's with 144ish tracks. It kept up with them pretty well, and I had a lot of fun learning to ride. For comparison, the Blast is ~50lbs lighter, same hp but probably makes better use of it with EFI, and has more lug and more track. Plus Alpha.

Get one! If you don't like it, I'll come buy it from you next year! :)

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
i think the blast LT would be a good choice, its got a 146 track for off trail but its shorter lugged than the blast M. also its a twin rail, and its got the rotating rear idlers that would help if stuck off trail to back up.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Just got this off the truck and trying to sort out our scale. It’s for my 14yo that’s 120lbs. She rides a 600 but hopefully she can learn how to handle this and that translates to riding the 600 better. And it’ll be the transition sled next year for my 8yo boy coming off a mod 120 this year.

aa17d48a3b0cb57763346dc68f0e03c5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
My wife is 43 and an experienced rider and she fell in the with the Blast M last year. First sled she felt in total control of and not intimidated by. 5’2” and fit. Fits her perfectly. They still will go over 70 mph with the m gearing and me on it.

CE68C229-FCC5-4A9D-AF9D-794D3FFD426F.jpeg

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
It looks like he is handling it very well and he looks confident! That is great to see. the nay-sayers will continue to say it say it's too heavy, etc but I am contemplating buying one for my GF and other family members to beat around on. Putting it on a diet won't be too much coin or much work.

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
Weight is only one variable and can be addressed like it always has been with aftermarket parts if that is your main concern. Maneuverability, stability, power supply and ease of use are all on these machines. No use putting someone on a 120+ hp sled if it intimidates them or they can’t handle it or use it. The sport is about having fun and this will be a very fun machine for many, many people!

P
Dec 15, 2018
Bad news is they are really hard to find! I did find one...a blast m and the dealer said I could have it but it was 9,800 ?. Said it was an unclaimed snowcheck so they could mark it up how they saw fit? I dunno ? Part of it makes me feel like a kid ! The other part is ...that's quite a bit of money in comparison to the larger snowmobiles? Iam going to go look just for fun lol! I watched your kids! That is fun! I love how they will just let go and plop into the snow. Seems like half the fun! Dudes actually ripping if you ask me!! Fun stuff!! My wifes an odd duck she could be scared of something then not scared of something scary. Just dont want her to think it's a go kart. I wish they had two so I could have one too!

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Bad news is they are really hard to find! I did find one...a blast m and the dealer said I could have it but it was 9,800 ?. Said it was an unclaimed snowcheck so they could mark it up how they saw fit? I dunno ? Part of it makes me feel like a kid ! The other part is ...that's quite a bit of money in comparison to the larger snowmobiles? Iam going to go look just for fun lol! I watched your kids! That is fun! I love how they will just let go and plop into the snow. Seems like half the fun! Dudes actually ripping if you ask me!! Fun stuff!! My wifes an odd duck she could be scared of something then not scared of something scary. Just dont want her to think it's a go kart. I wish they had two so I could have one too!
Should be around $8,000 USD.

I've seen some Yamaha Venoms available over the last few weeks, seems like more of those around than the Blast.

I know that you Cat guys are awfully brand loyal... but another "budget" option for a wife/teen would be either a Renegade Sport or a Backcountry Sport. About $1000 more than a Blast/Venom. Lot of value there IMO. 600 Efi in the 80-90HP range. Full size sled though- but still should be much less intimidating than a 130HP sled.

P
Dec 15, 2018
So I just put my name on one! Sure hope it comes in before the snow! Standing next to one they are really awsome. Alot bigger than I thought. Not a go kart really! So fun ! my wife will be smiling ear to ear after shes mad about it. And if I take good care of it my 7 year old could ride it in a few years!!! Haha . Merry Christmas everyone!!

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
It looks like he is handling it very well and he looks confident! That is great to see. the nay-sayers will continue to say it say it's too heavy, etc but I am contemplating buying one for my GF and other family members to beat around on. Putting it on a diet won't be too much coin or much work.
Yeah he is was able to handle it quite well. I have been one that says weight is a big deal. Yes it is still heavy but with the Alpha rail it does help him pull it over. I think I will want to get the narrower front end rather than the wide front end these come with. I still think that is stupid on the mountain version. Trail sled sure that's fine but not mountain sled. Yes there is some room to get the weight down a little. I will tell you that he was very sore the next day and that is why I still think its a little too heavy. He was exhausted at the end of the day. But it will help him get stronger right.

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com

Yes they are hard to find. If you did not snowcheck you probably aren't going to find one this year. Karl Malone Powesports in Heber Utah might have an extra 1 so hit them up if you are serious. So sticker on it is $8,500. After dealer and set up fees, tax license registration and extra warranty (if offered from your dealer, I got a 4 year warranty) I was over 11K. So yeah not cheap. My boy has some work to do to help pay this thing off.

So the reason he falls off is because there is a point to where he can't get it back up and so he jumps off in hopes that the sled goes back up on the skis. If it falls all the way over he can't lift it back up by himself. So there is some thought to that process when it looks like he just falls off on purpose.

Your wife would be fine on this sled. It does not have enough power to scare her I am sure. It's literally a full size sled with short handle bars, less power and a shorter track.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Oh awsome! I wasnt making fun hope it didnt sound that way sorry. I thought he was just having fun ! That's cool he figured that out. That's smart. My parents did not do these things with us so I can only imagine how stoked and exhausted he is!! I have two daughters and i get them into everything! My youngest ran her first class 3 rapid last year at six! Well dealer called me today said both people backed out so iam going down there today with my check book to buy the m4 for my wife and daughters. I want one for me too kinda but I bought a m6 used and feel kinda like a wus-pus doing that lol. Were literally brand new to snowmobiles even though we've lived here our entire lives lol. Iam very very excited. My buddy does avalanche saftey courses here and he said he would do a refresher course for us. Good news. Bad news is around here the backcountry avalanche forecast is really bad. Anyway merry Christmas everyone

Premium Features