• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

intake,belt,and suspension questions 08 m1000

J
i have a 08 m1000 snopro 162
i just got it and it has a slp can, y pipe,alot of venting ,aftermarket secondary, fox floats,newer seat, bar risers,gauge cage, ecu update
thats all the mods as far as i can tell

i was wondering if i can ditch the hood intake and keep the stock air box with a k&n filter with a pre filter over it it has lots of vents and im ordering a big hood vent so im not to worried about hot air under the hood
wondering if i can run that without a fuel controler and lose a few pounds and not have to worry about the powder bog

also i took the sled out last weekend for the first time and i noticed that the belt makes a bit of a squeak when going down a steep hill i inspected it and it seems to be in good shape mite be rubbing the pan slightly under the primary ?

and i noticed it has a bit of sag in the suspension i weigh 260 so im assuming it was set up for a guy 100 punds lighter

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
i have a 08 m1000 snopro 162
i just got it and it has a slp can, y pipe,alot of venting ,aftermarket secondary, fox floats,newer seat, bar risers,gauge cage, ecu update
thats all the mods as far as i can tell

i was wondering if i can ditch the hood intake and keep the stock air box with a k&n filter with a pre filter over it it has lots of vents and im ordering a big hood vent so im not to worried about hot air under the hood
wondering if i can run that without a fuel controler and lose a few pounds and not have to worry about the powder bog

also i took the sled out last weekend for the first time and i noticed that the belt makes a bit of a squeak when going down a steep hill i inspected it and it seems to be in good shape mite be rubbing the pan slightly under the primary ?

and i noticed it has a bit of sag in the suspension i weigh 260 so im assuming it was set up for a guy 100 punds lighter

As for the belt is the clutch engaged when going down the hill? Its perfectly normal that when the clutch disengages and just kinda idles to a role that it does that. Nothing to be worried about. I cant tell you about the intake thing but why not buy a BDX intake and be done with it? Relatively cheap and from the people saying they get a powder bog that from them having a mistake and some comeing in somehow, I have no issue with mine. If you choose to go with your own homemade intake though I cant help, but the Powder bog you can avoid as long as you make sure no snow is getting in, People make the excuse that the intake sucks or something like that, when actualy its their mistake and snow is somehow getting in, if properly done you will have no issue, also I have seen a few right ups about how to do your own intake, I saw one recently on arcticchat if you want to look around a bit.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
With a Y and a can you need to add fuel either with a controller or a pressure regulator. Not only are you at risk of burning it down you are not getting the goody out of the mods. Add fuel and it will run like it should with way more power.
after that I recommend the bdx intake.

put 150psi or more in rear shock

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
With a Y and a can you need to add fuel either with a controller or a pressure regulator. Not only are you at risk of burning it down you are not getting the goody out of the mods. Add fuel and it will run like it should with way more power.
after that I recommend the bdx intake.

put 150psi or more in rear shock

To add to that, check your plugs at all RPM ranges as all sleds are slightly different and although I do agree buy a controller to be safe, some sleds honestly just dont need them until you get further into mods. Contact the company and see what they say, but no matter what checking your plugs is the best thing you can do no matter what they say, as once again all sleds are slightly different

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
To add to that, check your plugs at all RPM ranges as all sleds are slightly different and although I do agree buy a controller to be safe, some sleds honestly just dont need them until you get further into mods. Contact the company and see what they say, but no matter what checking your plugs is the best thing you can do no matter what they say, as once again all sleds are slightly different

I don't care who says what, the only guys that get away with it are the ones that don't ride that hard. Give me any 1000 with a y and can and no controller and I'll burn it down in a few minutes at his elevation. throw in a controller and I'll show you some power. On these you have to be careful in the mid range at 6-6200 and WOT thats it, don't ride 6-6200 on the trail, keep it out of that range. Check plugs at wot and your good.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
I don't care who says what, the only guys that get away with it are the ones that don't ride that hard. Give me any 1000 with a y and can and no controller and I'll burn it down in a few minutes at his elevation. throw in a controller and I'll show you some power. On these you have to be careful in the mid range at 6-6200 and WOT thats it, don't ride 6-6200 on the trail, keep it out of that range. Check plugs at wot and your good.

Yeah I dont ride without a controller either, and I would recommend to everyone to buy one, find a used one or something on swap meet. But depending on the brand or Y pipe, Can, Pipe ect. It will be different, he might not need one if he pulls his plugs he could be fine. But not trying to start an argument here, and I do recommend finding a used controller.

B
Mar 23, 2008
Vancouver Washington
Elevation

Every one knows the 1000 luvs the y-pipe to wake it up so it beats a M8. Theres a reason for that.Yes it's making more HP !!!! Mine went from not pulling the stock orange secondary above 7000 ft to doing wheelies after Y.Any good y pipe adds 10 plus hp.slp/d&d/speedworks.Maybe on a m8 you can get away with it but good luck on the m10.At WFO the pigs are drinking more fuel.Period.
Why make your sled into a yard ornament ?Anyone who tells you different must be a high elevation rider who doesn't hold down the flipper for long..
As far as the intake goes good luck.I think you can get away with it stock .But with y-pipe after that don't think it'll work as good. I tried a few diy intake mods and it needed more air after the full slp pipe set-up.
I did the same thing you want to do by trying to get more air under hood to cool off clutches.Add a ton of vents and rip out stock under hood intake to free up my big middle vent.
I ended up with bog down low but haven't had a chance to tune my PCV on the mountain since my install.The vents do keep it way cooler under the hood and the weight savings was noticeable. But I did a diy intake.polaris black spring and a diy linderman mount and went back to the 060 belt.So 4 things coulda contributed to a low end bog.It's not bad it's just not as snappy as it was before.
The belt squeal is normal mine does it on some steep down hill long decents.
Do the geo mod and add a diy canister to your rear shock. Makes a huge difference.
With your weight your sled is going to be pulling harder taking more fuel.Brain boxes are cheap.Besides after the y-pipe you'll be going to a full pipe set up.
Good luck.
And I'm not saying some guys have never done the y and got away with it.My sled has 48-49 psi on the fuel pressure so depends if you got a rare one like mine that is just high.Elevation and warm temps will give you a better chance of not killing it but why chance it.Nothing worse getting towed off mountain with a damaged piston.Just read all the pain from the poo guys.All kinds of controllers in the swap meet for under $200

And yes wyob gave me some info before I started messing with my stock m10 a yr ago.Throw stones at him but I never burnt down my sled. Free info never hurt my feelings.And he talked me into running my slp pipe and have never looked back.

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
My testing on a slp y and can was from 3500-11000ft and in that range I was hitting egts way to high and letting off. Not only that the power just wasn't there. Added fuel (49psi) and it was a huge power jump and way more torque.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
So WYO,,, if I understand you right the stock fuel regulator reduces the fuel pressure lower than 48/49? So if you go adjustable you can ( with psi gauge ) raise the fuel pressure to a high enough level to be safe?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
So WYO,,, if I understand you right the stock fuel regulator reduces the fuel pressure lower than 48/49? So if you go adjustable you can ( with psi gauge ) raise the fuel pressure to a high enough level to be safe?

Stock spec is 42-47 both of mine where at 43psi stock, with a reg you can increase the fuel.

J
set the rear to 140 and the fronts to 70/74 on clutch side
sled seems to spin the track alot more now but doesnt sag anymore i do love how it pulls the skis a foot off the ground all the way up a hill climb tho :) and how easy it is to stand it straight up in a wheelie

i also forgot to mention im usually riding around 6000 to 7,000 elevation
asked the dealer about intake mod with my y and can and he said i should be fine without a controler
also it says rk-tek on my clutch is that a good aftermaket mod?

think it is worth doing the diy intake mod ? i just want to get rid of the stupid under hood intake and not pay a bunch for the bdx,slp,firebreather or any of the other ones people seem to argue about constantly on here

also got rid of the belt squeak it was rubbing on my pan like i thought but now coming down a steep hill when i grab the bake it seems to make a bit of a clunk sound sounds like it coming from the clutch

snow was pretty hard when i went and on the trail it seemed like the skis were grabbing every rut and sending the sled all over the place i have a set of powder pros on one of my old sleds and wondering if i should throw them on?

sled is also kind of a pain in the *** to turn around but i think i just need to get used to it i do love how u can play with the throttle up hills with the skis up and just lean and turn
still havent been able to get this thing stuck and theres nothing i cant climb i love it!

Premium Features