• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation pictures required C3 thermobob heated handlebars for 2015 KTM 450 SX-F

R
Oct 20, 2020
The generic installation pictures are not correct for my 2015 KTM 450SX-F and C3 Performance have yet to provide the corresponding documentation after many requests.

Hoping someone has done this already and has the pictures to show the correct installation sequence. I have the correct kit based on C3 Performance
they just don't seem to have the drawings to support it, or the inclination to help me as they should.

This is what I purchased from a dealer:
CATH1440ORG90.BORG.TTO C3 :: HEATED BARS + THERMO BUNDLE
13-15

R
Oct 20, 2020
You are using the wrong instructions. Use the installation guide, not the generic guide.
https://c3powersports.com/products/thermostat-kit
go to the bottom of this page and look for the installation tab
I actually do have the installation guide, when I said generic guide I was actually referring to the main installation guide. The generic guide, which I didn't see up to this point, actually has some good information that I required in order to understand the flow of coolant. Now I just have to figure out the flow for my bike in relation to the same, this is the part I'm missing and I'm nervous about interrupting the flow of coolant. The actual installation guide does not refer to my bike in any way, it's ports are not like any shown in the documentation provided. Pictures of my bike and the kit purchased from C3 attached.

IMG_3480.jpg IMG_3481.jpg IMG_3482.jpg IMG_3483.jpg

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Roxiedog13, I'm not sure i understand what your asking but i will offer this. The flow of coolant for the bars comes out of the thermostat via the bypass port and is pushed into the bars and then generally returns to the lower hose from the left rad to the engine block. But, the return could be plumbed into the system anywhere in the return hoses. Regarding coolant flow, the hot coolant flows out of the highest point on the right side of the head/cylinder where the thermostat connects and is pushed up the center hose and into both rads. The cooled coolant falls and returns to the engine via the hoses from the bottom of rads. The coolant pump is at the low point of the system on the right side on the engine. The pump pushes (pressurizes) the coolant from the pump into the engine and out to the rads via the thermostat or fitting on the right side of the cylinder. A low pressure (vacuum) is created on the return side of the pump and is feed by the coolant entering the engine block via the lower rad hoses. So, the feed to the bars comes off the stat routed into the bars then routed out of the bars and into any part of the return which includes both lower rad hoses or dumping into one of the rads. Hope this helps.

R
Oct 20, 2020
I pretty much figured it all out to be honest, the generic instructions did show how the direction of coolant flow, all I needed to know was where the flow exits the engine, now I have clarification on that
and the rest kind of falls in place. So thanks for additionally identifying the coolant flow from the engine originates on the right side and highest port on the cylinder( as seated on the bike). Tonight this
will get done.:giggle:
Thanks again

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
roxiedog, how did you route your lines to the bars? And where did you put your flow control valve? I'm doing an 18 KTM 450 like yours.
I put the flow control valve on the (sitting on bike) r/h side of the bars, so it was easy to access when the engine blanket is in place.
my concern, however, is if the hose from the thermostat block springs a leak, it's just going to whiz fluid out until it's empty. So I purchased a second
flow control valve, and thought I would run that off the thermostat housing as well. at least if it leaks at the hose, I can shut the flow to the bars off, and preserve the bikes system.

R
Oct 20, 2020
The valve can go on the bars, I think most do so for easy access but to be honest, there is no reason not to put it on the thermostat housing as earlier installation show. If you have stock bar risers or the lowest C3 bar riser, you will not be able to mount the valve under the bar, with the taller bar risers , you can put it anywhere convenient. I'm not sure it really matters if it's on the positive( in flow) or outflow side either, the valve simply stops the flow from circulating.

I went down the front fork upper post and over the top rad mounts following the other hoses and electrical cables. As long as it doesn't bind or pinch or anything sharp, your good. Be sure to leave enough of a sweep to allow the front fork assembly to turn full lock in both directions without binding or pinching . In my case I left enough extra just in case I add taller bar risers or if I have to pull out the ends at some point, I could cut the end for a clean install and still have enough hose to do so.

I can share my pictures if you like, don't have any just yet. I'm still in the build process, so pictures can be taken if you require the same.

Premium Features