• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: T.S Fabrications HD Nytro Oil Tank

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Back in January of 2010 SnoWest member Sledhead162 started up a thread discussing a new prototype replacement oil tank for the Yamaha Nytro.

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200231

Over the next 18 months or so I followed that thread and his ongoing development. This summer I decided to take the plunge and order one of his "HD Oil Tanks" to put on my own sled and report back to the rest of the Nytro owners on just what Tim had come up with.

My new Tank arrived this afternoon, so I am firing off a new thread on what came in the box.

The install will have to wait a few days as I am still working on installing my Supercharger first...

Oh, and as always.
Anything worth doing is worth doing in YAMAHA BLUE!! :face-icon-small-hap
Tim was kind enough to indulge me and had this tank powder-coated just for Nytrocity!!! Your color may vary...

One small box arrived in the post.
picture.php

Its a silly thing, but I noticed he had a commercial Stapler and sealed the box really well.
picture.php

The tank was well packed and did NOT rattle around inside the box at all.
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The box included only 2 items.
The bubble wrapped tank and a 1 page installation sheet.
picture.php

picture.php

The tank arrived without ANY visible blems or scratches on it!
VERY CLEAN!
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This is the front of the tank as seen from the bottom looking towards the top
picture.php

RIGHT side of the tank
picture.php

picture.php

BACK of the tank.
picture.php

TOP of the tank.
Notice the notch all along the front.
This is the cut out so it will be compatible with the MPI Supercharger I am installing. I do NOT know if this will be a standard cut/notch on all of his tanks.
picture.php

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
All of this beautiful craftsmanship does come at a small weight price though.

The OEM tank, with all external attachments removed weighted in at 29.7 ounces.
(- Lower bolt, Lower Hose Connector, Oil Level Indicator)

The T.S. Designs Nytro HD Oil Tank weighted in at 75.2 ounces

That is a net increase of +45.5 ounces or nearly 3 pounds!

But what do you get for that extra 3 pounds?

Massive Structural Strength, from what I can see.
I have no doubt whatsoever that this Oil Tank is massively over engineered.

My guess is that is a catastrophic crash where the sled is totaled, you will be able to retrieve this oil tank and use it again! :face-icon-small-hap

When Tim says its "Heavy Duty" he isn't kidding.
He has gone the extra mile on all the metal walls and on the welds.
This Oil Tank does a Yamaha Proud!!

What I do NOT know yet is the Volume it holds?
It is certainly going to hold MORE than the OEM, but I can't tell how much more just yet.

In a few days I should be ready to mount it, and then I will offer comments on FIT.

Finish wise, well, I will let the photos speak for themselves.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So, am I the only guy on the forum with one of these tanks?

Surely there must be a couple other Nytro Riders that bought one and have some comments to offer up??

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Ya, I have "heard" of seam failures as well as punctures.

This tank is going to stand up to some serious abuse.

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
christopher - I think you are sinking the value of a new nytro AGAIN in to your sled in mods this year!! It will be a sick sick unit. Love your reviews. Thanks

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I admit it.
I am totally smitten with this sled.
She is my baby.

And I am having a total blast modding her out.

Never thought I would end up with a FULL MOD SLED when I started this process.

Reminds me of what Bilbo Baggens said..
It's a dangerous business going out your front door.

Once you make that FIRST MOD, your doomed!!!!

Heck, it keeps me busy and out of trouble.
Gives me something to do every night.

And LOTS of opportunities to LEARN.

And...
If I didn't do all these mods, we wouldn't have nearly as much to talk about in our little Yamaha forum!!:face-icon-small-hap

sledhead162

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2008
No christopher you are not the only one out there with my oil tank there's 30 plus tanks out there on various nytro's around the US and Canada. Have not heard of any problems with any of my tanks this far. Would love to hear reviews and comments to further perfect the tanks if needed. THANKS Sledhead162

K

KJFarmer

Aug 24, 2009
North Dakota
Thanks for doing the review on the tank christopher, i sure would like one and almost ordered one but i think my big budget is big enough for this year haha, will surely have one on next year.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
You know that means something is going to happen to your OEM tank that is going to make you groan and say "I should have bought that" :face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Murphy saw your post.

irondave86

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
N.W. Washington
You not the only one, this will be my second season running my HD oil tank. Craftsmanship on this tank is top notch, and he has the customer service to match. Definitely a must have for any nytro owner.

irondave86

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
N.W. Washington
You know that means something is going to happen to your OEM tank that is going to make you groan and say "I should have bought that" :face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Murphy saw your post.

My oem tank started leaking BAD mid ride last year on a Saturday, had to cut the day short, and ended up not being able to get it fixed for my Sunday ride.:face-icon-small-fro My advise to anyone would be to be proactive and get one of these tanks.

K

KJFarmer

Aug 24, 2009
North Dakota

Murphy saw your post.

Probably jinxed myself by posting that, i guess ill just have to see how the rest of the year goes, might as well have everything on the sled aftermarket haha

sledhead162

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2008
My oem tank started leaking BAD mid ride last year on a Saturday, had to cut the day short, and ended up not being able to get it fixed for my Sunday ride.:face-icon-small-fro My advise to anyone would be to be proactive and get one of these tanks.
Hey Dave did you get your sled yet? I was just checking back seeing if you were wanting to do that tank swap before the snow hits? let me know thanks Sledhead162

irondave86

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
N.W. Washington
I picked up my sled today, I'll get the tank off by weeks end. If you could PM me a return address that would be great. Thanks id86

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
I have one of the original "prototypes" of this tank.

My impressions... I never think about this tank until the covers come off and I get to look at a beautiful piece of craftsmanship.

I used to pull the cover and check the OEM tank for leakage after every ride - no longer needed. I have bashed trees, poked branches thru the cover, and even smacked rocks - the only thing that bends are the mounting tabs on the subframe.

PS: Chris, Mine was the very first SC application, and that "relief" built in for SC applications was a forward thinking inventor acting on positive feedback from OFT Racing and others. Great Product, great value.

Hopefully, these will be the next item on the list of "Over the Top" Yammi parts offered on our site!

Thanks Tim!

Last edited:
Premium Features