• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: Skinz Protective Gear "Air Frame" Boards

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The only thing left for me to do is to install the suspension on my sled and re-attach the wheel hanger and rivet them onto the Boards.

Should happen in the next week or so.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Had to wait on my suspension to get the last bit of this install done!
But with the suspension back in place it was time to rivet the Wheel Support Brackets to the Boards.

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The new boards re-use the 4 pre-existing holes from the OEM mount.

picture.php

4 holes drilled from below.
picture.php

4 Rivets and the install is FINISHED!!
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
FIRST RIDE REVIEW.

Yesterday was my first chance to take out the sled with the new Skinz Air Frame Boards on it and give them a try.

As I was riding I was trying to come up with words to describe these boards..

AWESOME
AMAZING
PHENOMENAL

The boards were WAY BEYOND my wildest expectations!!!

Lets look at some photos.

Mid-Day, deep in the snow, tunnel is running DEEP in the powder with the snow nearly touching the bottom of the boards. And there is nearly NO SNOW on the boards where your boot would make contact!
picture.php

#1.
Snow Retention was for all intents and purposes ZERO.
As you can clearly see there is NO ICE and NOT any meaningful snow at all on the boards.
The only real snow that adhered to the boards was along the inside edge where the board attached to the tunnel and where my boot never touched the boards.

Traction was simply UNBELIEVABLE.
There was ZERO slippage or movement of my boot on these boards.
NONE!!
When you planted your boot, it felt like it was RIVETED TO THE SLED.
You and the sled were BONDED together on these boards.
No matter where I placed by boot, it had a ROCK SOLID BITE on the boards.

#3.
Rigidity of the sled/tunnel was significantly increased.
There is absolutely NO FLEX AT ALL on these boards.
They are rock solid, and I weigh in at 230lbs!

#4.
Weight Transfer was greatly enhanced, and this was TOTALLY UNEXPECTED.
The rear of these new boards have a small section where the board rivets to the upper wheel hanger.
This small flat spot and the support bar that attaches to the tunnel, once studded, allowed me to place a boot there and transfer my weight to the very back of the sled which significantly improved my ability to turn!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Right Foothole.
picture.php

Right Rear.
Notice this is the only FLAT spot on the boards, and the only place that had snow on them.

picture.php

picture.php

T

teamthunderf**ked

Jan 11, 2009
cherry point ab
:smash::boink::boink::boink::boink::face-icon-small-hapnice work i hope u like them and no wonder it took u all summer everytime u popped a rivet u came and posted it and put a pic up thats funny right there i dont care who u r.ha ha ha ha ha

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I took my time doing this project.
I expect someone who knew what they were doing could have knocked it out in a single long day. But this was all new to me and I was having fun doing it.

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
How are these doing after the season?
Do you have the part# for the rivets "good ones"

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
How are these doing after the season?
Do you have the part# for the rivets "good ones"

Happy to say my season is NOT OVER WITH YET.

As for the boards.

I have lost ONE traction stud so far, just snapped off.
Need to drill that out and replace it.

Otherwise.

I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER WITH THESE BOARDS.

STILL GIVE THEM A MAJOR ENDORSEMENT!

So far, this is THE single best modification I have made to my sled.!

freak485

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2011
Billings, MT
Thank You!

Great job Chris,

After reading this I am going to order a pair of skinz Air Frames for my 2012 pro!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have NO DOUBT at all but that you will be VERY happy with them!

I will get some photos posted of what they look like with a full season's riding on them.

D

Dmill

Sep 14, 2009
great falls / snow slip inn
too bad every single thing i order from skinz is back ordered for 5 months..
they make seriously good products..

i ordered my air frames in february... still not here backordered three different times

my can i ordered in november didnt get here until february... f'n ridiculous ... i really want my boards so i can put them on this summer and be ready to ride at the begginning of winter not the end.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just requires plenty of advance planning.
They are a SMALL COMPANY making some seriously great products.

Just like you, I order from them MONTHS in advance and just wait for it to arrive.

But in the end, it is WELL WORTH THE WAIT!!

D

Dmill

Sep 14, 2009
great falls / snow slip inn
well after my original post i got an email from jeff at skinz.... as of yesterday my delivery date was september 20th, the third time the had been backordered again... might i add i ordered them in february!!!

he had a set shipped out to me today! thats great customer service if i have seen it and i appreciate all the effort to get me a set..

jeff is a stand up guy plan on doing more business with them.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
For those reading this thread about installing Air Frames, I'd like to add the follow in regards to obtaining the Lords 406/19. I ordered from Ellsworth Adhesives, www.ellsworth.com
This is what I ordered (it took one 50ML tube for each side of an '09 RMK 155"):
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=400><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100 align=left>LORD 406/19 Modified Acrylic Adhesive 50ML</TD><TD vAlign=top width=100 align=left>$14.37</TD><TD vAlign=top width=100 align=center></TD><TD vAlign=top width=100 align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100 align=left>SULZER MIXPAC System 50 Manual Gun 50ML 1:1 / 2:1

</TD><TD vAlign=top width=100 align=left>$36.97</TD><TD vAlign=top width=100 align=center></TD><TD vAlign=top width=100 align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100 align=left>Sulzer Mixpac STATOMIX MA Static Mixer EA6.3-21SA 6.3 X 21</TD><TD vAlign=top width=100 align=left>$9.84</TD><TD vAlign=top width=100 align=center></TD><TD vAlign=top width=100 align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100 align=left>SULZER MIXPAC System 50 Plunger 4:1</TD><TD vAlign=top width=100 align=left>$4.27</TD><TD vAlign=top width=100 align=center></TD><TD vAlign=top width=100 align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The item in red was an extra bag of the mixer tubes.

Premium Features