• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: Roest Racing Skid Plate for Yamaha Nytro

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I just received my new Roest Racing Skid Plate for Yamaha Nytro, and was impressed with what arrived and wanted to share some impressions with everyone.

The kit arrived via US Mail, Priority, all sealed in one small neat box.

NOTE:
All photos are raw, untouched, shot in ambient light, with a hand-held camera on a white background. So you can see the color/white balance has NOT been corrected.

picture.php

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Upon opening the box I found it well stuffed with crumpled newspaper to protect the Skid Plate in shipping.

picture.php

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Removing the packaging revealed my brand new custom YAMAHA BLUE Skid Plate.

It should be noted that I ordered this in a custom color for my sled as I wanted to have more contrast than the stock BLACK plate both for show as well as for photography.

Roest was more than accommodating in my request!

The package contains 3 items.

The Skid Plate

The Nuts/Bolts pack

The mounting instructions.

picture.php

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
First shot of the skid plate.

Having been in the marine business for years, I have done a ton of powdercoating and know the game very well.

I was happy to see that whoever Roest is using has done a competent job. There were NO runs, NO drips, NO missed/thin spots, NO bubbles on the metal. This tells me the metal was properly cleaned and prepared before the electrostatic charge was placed on it and the powder applied before going into the oven. It also says that the sprayer did not apply too much powder as there were no runs.

I also detected NO burrs under the powder. This all suggests a good job in prep!

In this image you can also see where it has been run through a CNC milling machine to remove some metal to make it fit better. The cuts on the milling "feel" very clean and smooth.

picture.php

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
In this image you can see 5 small mounting plates that have been riveted to the skid plate.
The rivets at the bottom are countersunk into the plate, while the other 4 sets are surface mounted.
They all appeared/felt Tight and looked solid.
Alignment on all of the plates was very clean, and not off.

picture.php

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This is the outside of the plate that will see the rocks, where you can see the other side of the rivets.

picture.php

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
While my intention was to have this mounted on my sled this afternoon, the package didn't clear my local post office early enough for me to get that done.

So it will be installed next week, with the rest of this review to be posted then.

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
In this image you can see 5 small mounting plates that have been riveted to the skid plate.
The rivets at the bottom are countersunk into the plate, while the other 4 sets are surface mounted.
They all appeared/felt Tight and looked solid.
Alignment on all of the plates was very clean, and not off.

picture.php

The rivets used for assembly are 3/16 stainless rivets. Tough to say the least.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Installed the plate this afternoon.

Had NO problems at all installing it and it fit great.
The plate is almost invisible to the naked eye unless your really looking for it.

The tech that did the installation of the plate for me at Rexburg Motor Sports did have one interesting comment to offer.

When installing on a 2008 Nytro, it called for 1/2 inch holes to be drilled into the frame of the sled and then to use rubber bushings around the bolts to mount the plate.

The 2008 frame on the Nytro is NOT as strong or reinforced as the 2009/2010.

Had my sled been a 2008 he would not have been willing to mount the plate as he was afraid that the diameter of the holes "might" compromise the integrity of the frame.

On the 2009/2010 is it a NON-ISSUE though.

It bolted up TIGHT and fit PERFECTLY.!!

Will get some photos of the finished install tomorrow.

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Glad that you got it installed Christopher. It will protect your sled like nothing else out there. We are just becoming aware of another problem with the OEM piece of plastic. The aluminum stiffeners integrated into the panel are starting to wear into oil filters and engine sumps. This occurs when the panel in deformed upwards slightly. This is usually the result of an impact or by installing an accessory skidplate on top of the OEM panel.
The Roest skidplate can be installed on an 08 subframe without drilling the 4 holes into the frame tubes. Just use the 2 inner holes with longer screws, running the longer screws through a piece of flat bar that sits on top of the frame tubes. I will say that I have an 09 and used the 4 outer holes. No probs and makes for a very well fastened skidplate. I just wanted people to have options.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The Roest skidplate can be installed on an 08 subframe without drilling the 4 holes into the frame tubes. Just use the 2 inner holes with longer screws, running the longer screws through a piece of flat bar that sits on top of the frame tubes. I will say that I have an 09 and used the 4 outer holes. No probs and makes for a very well fastened skidplate. I just wanted people to have options.
That is the best possible solution for customers.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just wanted to post a short followup to this.

Have had the skid plate installed for a couple months now, and have had NO problems or troubles of ANY KIND with it.

Could not be happier with this product.

Its nice to get something mailorder that is EXACTLY as advertised.

Premium Features