• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: High-Jacker Deep Powder Snowmobile Jack

W
Dec 16, 2009
What would be nice is to have a strap that is permanently attached to the sled and just left in place.

That's what i've done. Just tied some rope around the rear bumper and it is always there.

I also did not mount the base plate to the tunnel like you did because it rattles too much. Mine is actually sandwiched between the tunnel and jack on the side of the tunnel.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
That's what i've done. Just tied some rope around the rear bumper and it is always there.

I also did not mount the base plate to the tunnel like you did because it rattles too much. Mine is actually sandwiched between the tunnel and jack on the side of the tunnel.
Ya, I don't know how long the base plate will live there. It may end up in a tunnel bag at some point in the future.

Lococoin

Lifetime Membership
None that I took any notice of.
Are you saying that the aluminum is not strong enough to stand up to use??

I have the powderjack which is the cheaper lighter version of this and it really cuts grooves in the aluminum rod. I'm thinking of buying this one and putting the other one on my summit. If i was to do it over again I wouldn't have purchased the powderjack.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
The powder jack is a joke compared to the highjacker.

Seen several of the PJ's break in the field...hows that 100$ you saved treating you now?

you can see the shaft getting rings cut into it on the PJ...oh and the broke off handle!
010-4.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Here is a closeup of the Jackshaft after two lifts.

There are many rings around the shaft that show discoloration, but when you run your finger over them, they are utterly smooth.

There are 2 long minor flat spots on the shaft itself that I am guessing are dragging the lifting mechanism up or down the shaft without holding the release lever fully down to disengage the friction plate from the shaft.

I could see if you were lazy and did this repeatedly over time that you could abrade the shaft. But that looks to me to be little more than User Laziness, rather than bad design.

picture.php

T
Dec 20, 2007
Minturn, CO
Pics

Here is how my jack is mounted along the tunnel. I actually find myself standing on it from time to time on tough sidehills. Notice how parallel it runs to the tunnel It does not create an impediment to movement from side to side on the sled.
IMG_0790.jpg

This is how I mounted the front of the jack in the footwell area.
IMG_0791.jpg

This is the biggest difference between my rig and yours, the rear mounting point.
IMG_0796.jpg

Top view.
IMG_0793.jpg

Here is the jack mounted in the rear stay.
IMG_0792.jpg

I think that the rear stay I have looks more secure than the new design. Mine is 3 years old.

As for the abrasion along the shaft, mine is loaded with nicks and doesn't interfere with the operation of the jack when I need it. I remember reading one could use steel wool or light sandpaper to knock down the ridges, if you feel like it.

As for the baseplate, I was carrying mine in a bag until the straps/clips on my lame Yamaha bag failed, so now it's in my backpack until I find a tunnel bag that I like.

T
Dec 20, 2007
Minturn, CO
jack dislodgment

As for your jack coming off the sled, I can only guess it wasn't locked down as tight as possible, as I've rolled mine (violently) a few times and the jack hasn't ever come loose. I also think that part of this is how tightly it is tucked against the tunnel, and how it does not stick up above the bumper.

If it's hanging up high off the bumper it looks like it would be a lever which could cause it to torque and come loose in an impact. The aluminum shaft does flex, as you will see sometime when you're in a weird, off-camber stuck. It flexes A LOT.

I have not experienced any marring of the tunnel (not that I care) given the soft composite plastic used where the jack contacts the tunnel or bumper while in use.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This is the biggest difference between my rig and yours, the rear mounting point.

Top view.

Here is the jack mounted in the rear stay.
IMG_0792.jpg

I think that the rear stay I have looks more secure than the new design. Mine is 3 years old.
Ya, I would have to agree with you, that little side tab there would make a HUGE difference if the lifting mechanism lost just a little bit of pressure, it would NOT pop off like mine did.

T
Dec 20, 2007
Minturn, CO
Yeah, I have to wonder why the rear mounting point is now so high up on the tunnel, by design. I do know that the system design is constantly evolving, but this might be a devolution.

It's interesting, you can see the small horizontal tab that rides right along the running board, and was intentional, allowing for a very low, secure mount point. I wonder why the new mount, which is obviously designed to be higher up on the tunnel, is as it is...

Last edited:
T
Dec 20, 2007
Minturn, CO
I find it hard to believe that round shaft with a washer at the end is more stable, but having the release point for the jack higher up may make it easier to get the jack released from the tunnel, when you dump the sled on the side with the jack.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I talked to bill about the different mounting bracket and he said he changed it for two reason. One was because it is more stable with the new bracket and the other is to get the jack up higher for easier access when the back of the sled is buried.
That does make some sense when you think about it.
Getting the rear end UP would make it easier to use when the tunnel is deeply trenched.

arcticman31

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Colorado
Harmon Highjacker

Great review Christopher. I met bill years ago riding our area and have been good friends and rode with him countless times since then. When he first approached me with his first prototype of the Jack I thought he was nuts....Actually I was pretty sure of this already due to the leather bomber hat he used for a helmet and the fact that his sled was missing about half of the parts it came with!........However, Bill told me to take one of the jacks and give it a try and see what I thought. I was reluctant to try it but decided to give it a shot anyway. My riding partners nearly laughed themselves to death when they saw it mounted to my sled. However as the next few rides went by and I was getting unstuck in half the time and exerting far less energy then the rest of them....In no time they all had one and never leave the truck without it. Bill is a great guy and backs his product like no one else. The jack is hands down still the best thing I have added to any of my sleds.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Thats pretty much my story as well.

Everyone laughs themselves silly over this thing, UNTIL they use it for the first time and realize just how FAST you can get out of a BAD DEEP STUCK and not end up totally winded.

While I may do a little tinkering on the mounting, I am 100% SOLD on the concept and use of this tool.

It is worth both the money and the weight if you tend to get stuck and don't like heavy duty digging.

Premium Features