• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Inreach Troubles

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
I was really reluctant to post this. But I'm very upset about how this was handled by Garmin. I have an Inreach SE bought in 2016, it has worked well I have had a yearly plan for almost all that time. Last Jan. my Inreach shut off while riding didn't know it till back at the truck. I was unable to turn it back on or anything like a dead battery however, I knew that was not it. I returned home e-mailed Garmin they instructed me on how to reboot it and gave me some ideas of why it may have done this. They were thinking possible cold mostly the Inreach was in my coat so No. I rebooted it worked fine for the rest of the season and all summer while out fishing etc. Hunting season second day out fully charged tested updated it does the same thing, shuts off. I e-mail Garmin with the old e-mail attached. I get a response that being how old my unit is to either buy a new one or a repair for $150. I then proceed to tell them that this is a survival unit and that those opinions are not very good and ask for a discount for a new one. They tell me no and will do the repair for $100 as a one-time courtesy and that my unit will be 4 years old in Jan. and out of warranty. I ask about the repair process and if I can get details of what is wrong with the unit after repair. I'm then informed that it is not a repair at all you get a repaired unit that someone else had repaired, remember this survival device Basically the only thing I can do is repair it or throw it out and get a new one? I'm not very happy with how this was handeled by Garmin. The noted promblem started a year ago and they were notified by me. A new Inreach SE is $289 at almost all retailers on the Garmin site $399. The Se is all you need with Earthmate Bluetooth to your phone you have and Explorer and then some. Not trying bash or anything just hope nothing goes wrong with your unit if it does you get someone else's problem or you can shell out another $300-400 for new. Either way, I'm not happy, this will be my last Garmin product and I may just throw this one in the trash and cancel my service and look for other options. It's a trust thing with a refurbished survival unit. I do understand that they can not warranty something forever that would not be possible. I really think a trade-in or a discount on a new one would be ok? I really don't know what the best options are. However, the way the e-mails are worded and the responses I have got it is pretty cut and dry buy new or repair that's it. Your unit is old.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
When you ship your unit to us for repair we do not fix your particular device. Your unit will get sent to the factory to be gone through and repaired if possible. We will send you a unit that someone else sent in for repair previously. So it is impossible to give you a detailed report of what is wrong with your unit. The system is set up this way to make sure you are not without your device for weeks or even months.

Given your request for a detailed report, I have not yet set up the repair order. Do you still want me to do that given I cannot comply with your request?

Thank you for choosing Garmin,
Matthew
Product Support
Garmin International
For 24-hour access to support videos, manuals, FAQs & more, visit the Support Center.

>> Original Message ...
>> From: brianb@vcn.com
>> To: Product.Support@garmin.com
>> Subject: RE: Inreach SE/ Turned Off << Reference ID: 13391387K1 >>
>> Sent: 05/10/2019 12:14
>>
>>
I guess I have no other choice but to repair it. I have one request with the repair. Can I get a detailed report of the repair and what was found wrong?

From: Product.Support@garmin.com [mailto:product.Support@garmin.com]
>> Sent: Saturday, October 05, 2019 10:52 AM
>> To: brianb@vcn.com
>> Subject: Re: Inreach SE/ Turned Off <Q#:1003700> << Reference ID: 13391387K1 >>

Hello Brian,

Your device will be 4 years old in January. The warranty period was for the first year. I cannot give you a discount on an upgrade but I can discount the repair for you. I will set up the repair for $100.00 instead of the normal $150.00 as a one-time courtesy. If you would like to take advantage of this, just reply back with the info I outlined in my previous email.

Matthew
Product Support
Garmin International
For 24-hour access to support videos, manuals, FAQs & more, visit the Support Center.

>> Original Message ...
>> Sent: 05/10/2019 11:17
>>
>>
Would there be any type of discount on a new unit? This unit is only 3 years old I bought it in 16’ if I remember right. For the cost of these items I would think you could do more than just $150 repair? Or sorry buy a new one? That doesn’t seem right. I have told lots of people about how great this product is and know I’m thinking not. I own other Garmin products and at my place of work we have 4 GPS Oregon’s and will be purchasing others. I have heard this type of story from the Spot devices also, that once you have trouble with them your SOL. I really did not think Garmin would be that way. I’m not sure what to do?

>> Sent: Saturday, October 05, 2019 9:49 AM
>> Subject: Re: Inreach SE/ Turned Off <Q#:1003700> << Reference ID: 13391387K1 >>

Hello Brian,

Due to the age and the fact that this seems to be a recurring issue with your device, I would advise you to replace the unit or you can send it in for repair. The repair price for an InReach SE is $150.00 US.

If you would like to repair the unit, I can set up the repair order for you. I will need you to verify your Full name, Billing address, Email, and Phone number. Once I have this information verified I will set up the repair. Then you will receive 2 emails. The first is instructions for sending in your old unit and the other will be a secure link to make payment.

Matthew
Product Support
Garmin International

>> Original Message ...
>> Sent: 05/10/2019 10:26
>>
>>
CAUTION - EXTERNAL EMAIL: Do not click any links or open any attachments unless you trust the sender and know the content is safe.

This same thing happened while Hunting on October 3 2019, Temp. was around 40F not very cold and was inside my jacket. I’m starting to not trust this equipment. I did the reboot that was instructed and that did work, however in a survival situation will I remember this? I have also read of others units that have failed them. Is my Inreach starting to fail me? I really hope you have some better answers then just the reboot. Any advice or help would be great. With snowmobile season coming I will be using this during that time. Thank You for your time.

>> Sent: Monday, February 11, 2019 7:28 AM

Hello Brian,

>>
>> I am sorry to hear that your device did not perform as it should while in the field.
>>
>> I do not necessarily think that the temperature was a factor in this instance but because you were participating in an outdoor winter activity I thought it might be worth mentioning.
>>
>> • Operational temperature range: -4 F to 140 F (-20 C to +60 C)
>> • Storage temperature range: -40 F to 185 F (-40 C to +85 C)
>> • Battery charging temperature range: 32 F to 113 F (0 C to +45 C)
I have heard of instances where the device shuts down if it gets too cold.
>>
>> If this happens again, follow the steps in the following link to do a soft reset on the device in the field.
>> Garmin inReach SE or Explorer is Unresponsive, Frozen or Behaving Abnormally

>> Thank you for choosing Garmin,
Matthew
Product Support
Garmin International

>> Original Message ...
>> To: product.support@garmin.com
>> Subject: Inreach SE/ Turned Off
>> Sent: 10/02/2019 22:28
>>
>> Web Self-Service Email Form Submission

>>
Description:While snowmobiling today my Inreach turned off and was not able to restart. I was able to restart when I returned home and checked the support site and reinstalled the firmware. This has happened once before. What can I do to stop this? What if I would have had an Emergency and needed my Inreach? How do you restart it in the field?

This is the e-mail response from Garmin read from the bottom up it copied that way.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
More on this topic:

Call Garmin this morning explaining everything. Was offered 20% of there retail price of $399.00. You can buy them for all of there retailers for $289 so no deal there. I spoke may case about customer service. I was informed that the old units have troubles and new don’t. I’m not looking for free or anything just fair treatment. If your giving 20% and your retailers sell 100 less no. They also do not compete with there retailers. Said I may as well buy a Spot. Answer back that’s an option also. They do not care about there customers. I think I’m canceling everything and will go without it. I caution anyone on looking at these hope it doesn’t fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
I'll give my input but it's just my opinion so do what is best for you. I read through the emails and their responses seem reasonable. They made some good offers on an out-of-warranty item. I'd go ahead and have them send a repaired unit for the $100. If you are more comfortable, get the new unit. The wording of their emails seem reasonable and like good customer service considering it's out of warranty. When one is upset, it's easy to read inflection into an email. That's the hard part of reading written word. In any case, the two options seem reasonable for an out-of-warranty unit. I have an Inreach from that time period and so far so good and I love it. Much better network than SPOT so don't let this push you to an inferior satellite network.

It does suck when electronics stop working and it costs you. But think of how many years and use you got out of it (sounds like 4 years) and for not much money when you consider the value. In those same 4 years, how many times does a typical person replace their cellphone and spend how much? Two phones and total cost of twice the price of a new inreach? I'd get the repaired until for $100, but getting a new unit is a good option as well as you'll get the latest and greatest electronic internals and firmware/software. And even if it's the same price, I'd buy it direct from them and then perhaps you can negotiate an extended warranty on the new one (which you could pitch to them that it will cost them nothing unless there are issues which they are saying there shouldn't be).

In the end, things like this end however you get it in your mind they will end (good or bad). Decide that it's reasonable and enjoy the new unit is my best advice. Otherwise you'll look at it every time you use it and think of it as a bad experience and even though you are on to enjoying a working unit, it will bug you. It's all how you decide to frame it so in the end it's up to you. And please take all this in the most constructive way as that is how I'm offering it.
Hope it all works out good for you whichever direction you choose.

Last edited:
A
Dec 23, 2018
I've got to agree. Garmin acted professionally and made the effort to accomodate as best as they could through a couple options...and then offered more. Nothing wrong from Garmin's end from what I read. Not many electronics companies that would even offer what Garmin has presented for you. I'd be happy, all things considered.

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
I tried Spot when they first came out, and then again with their 2nd generation device. I wasn't happy with either, so switched to the inReach. I've been using the inReach for quite a few years now and remain pretty happy with the device itself. Last season I switched from the older full-sized to the mini. I've used them both several times in non-emergencies ("gonna be late, don't worry," etc), and maybe 2 or 3 times for actual emergencies.

I haven't had to deal with customer service for problems. Once, my device self-activated the S.O.S. button but the dispatcher saw I was still moving around a lot, so they didn't initiate a SAR (communicated to me by messages on the device that I saw once I took it out of my pack). I appreciated this level of thinking on behalf of the dispatcher.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
Again it’s a Survival Device. When you can buy an Inreach from almost every retailer for less than 20% off. There price $399-20% $320 most every other retailer $289. No one in there right mind would pay that you guys shop to save a dollar on a sled. In my opinion that’s not doing very much. And replacing it with someone else’s repair item. Again a Survival Device not a good option. They have also admitted to problems with older units. I have read many stories of these failures. Either way I canceled my service and most likely will go with out. The funny thing is in my research and reading replies other companies offer up to 7 years and free replacements if used. Again it’s a Survival Device people are depending on them. Either way I’m not happy with it. And my opinion is they didn’t do much or care after you pay for a service for the last 3.5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tap

Last edited:

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Sounds like you had made up your mind to stay mad about it before posting. No question that it sucks when failed electronics need to be replaced. Think about it more black and white (like when your refrigerator is out of warranty) and maybe their handling of it will sit better.

That other companies choose to sell the Garmin product for less than MSRP is irrelavent as is the fact that it is a "survival device" or what other companies do after a warranty expires. The pertinent and factual parts of this thread are your 4 year old device has some issues, it is out of warranty, you contacted them about the issues, they offered some remedies that were more than they needed to under the warranty. The rest of this thread seems to be an emotional reaction to their offer with justifications as to why that reaction is warranted.

I've found that when i set my expectations of a company to do more than they say they will do, i set myself up for hard feelings. Go into it expecting them to do what their warranty says. If they offer more, they have gone above and beyond. In this case, they offered more than what the warranty required. It didn't meet the expectations you held going into that conversation so the outcome feels unsatisfactory to you.

Again, I mean all this as helpful. Hard to read that and get the inflection with which I'm typing it so please take all this opinion as answering your request for our opinions and know it's meant to come from a helpful place.

Last edited:

CISC0

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2010
PNW=WA
I lost/dropped my in reach in the backcountry back in January. Got home and sent it a locate signal. It responded with its gps cordinates. After that multiple storms came in......... was July before I could get back in there. Found it at exact cordinates. Charged it and its been working fine since. Also have a spot.........cant give that thing away

Premium Features