• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Indy Dans Turbo Clutching

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Forgive me for the dumb questions to follow...I'm still learning.

When we say "gear down", are we talking actually increasing the ratio.. for example, going from a 2.33:1 to a 2.53:1? This then by theory would create less load on the engine/clutches, & lower top speed, correct?

So, "gearing up" would be going from, say a 2.53:1 to 2.33:1, thereby increasing the load on the engine and increasing the top speed?

Am I following this correctly? Would it be ideal to gear up as high as possible while still maintaining the proper power curve? My thought behind it is, if the track is spinning, you might as well spin it as fast as you can (mountain riding).

Yes you were mentioned examples of during our correct....

When I say most are geared to low....... I mean that in a way that properly loads the turbo hard enough.

But there is an exact contradiction to what I mentioned when I say ( most ) gearing also has a lot to do with writing ability.

Example....... And please don’t take this out of context or let it go to your head
If you’re not very experienced rider...

If you’re fairly tall and/or really strong ( both is good )and can really manhandle the sled and jerk it around.....

Then the stock gearing is to low ( especially for climbing )

Boondocking only and low to mid experience then low gears not a big deal.... easier on belts.

We have been finding the guys that ride a lot like taller gears and more helix like
Our turbo 3 or our Turbo Extreme

A@ron

Premium Member
Apr 16, 2017
Wisconsin
Hole #2 raises the engagement and low to mid throttle response.

Try #1 full and the other hikes empty for what explained.

ended up being some bad gas. was too excited for the first ride and i forgot to pump out old fuel and replace. After two new plugs and burning through that old stuff she then came alive. ran 8350+/- for the rest of the trip and pulled great!

Just picked up the turbo 3 helix cant wait so see what she does now!

Last edited:

A@ron

Premium Member
Apr 16, 2017
Wisconsin
purchased the Indy Specialty kit came with the M1 helix, weights and springs

I installed it as it was shippied, bottom end response was incredible, very impressive.

after riding it a few days i felt i could use more top end pull

phoned IS about my findings and was given direction as to use the M3

M3 pulled every bit as ahrd on the bottom and harder on the mid and top end
Dan warned me that things happen quite a bit faster with this helix so be prepared he wasnt lying!!

my set up as of now is red primary, 1-3-1 weights 75 grams black spring with the M3 helix

8400 +/- 100

very impressive

how much boost are you running and at what elevation do you ride at?

NapaMatt

Matryx 850 Pow Slayer!
Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2009
Stewartville, MN
www.napaonline.com
?

42 - 48 .36. Is this a faster shifting

40 - 46. .36

Using on 2011 pro 800

. 5.2 boost.
100LL fuel 100%
1200 ft

Indy Dan's.

Red spring
Turbo T3 74.40 grams

Have the 42 - 48 .36. Installed
Stock sec spring 155/222

Don't really have any good test snow.. going to the deep this weekend.. first ride!!

Should I change my secondary grove

As of now primary weight holes full 0 3 1

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
we have messed with dans weights some , they work pretty well. I do not remember what magnet where.

One thing I noticed is it appears you are trying to mix and match. Springs helix and weights. I would run what Dan recommends with his weights. That helix looks like BD or Silber numbers. Unless Dan has changed his program. Your best results will come running all of Dans set up.

NapaMatt

Matryx 850 Pow Slayer!
Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2009
Stewartville, MN
www.napaonline.com
?

42 - 48 .36. Is this a faster shifting

40 - 46. .36

Using on 2011 pro 800

. 5.2 boost.
100LL fuel 100%
1200 ft

Indy Dan's.

Red spring
Turbo T3 74.40 grams Found a cracked Y pipe!! ops! 81grams last night, going to try 83's next

Have the 42 - 48 .36. Installed
Stock sec spring 155/222

Don't really have any good test snow.. going to the deep this weekend.. first ride!!

Should I change my secondary grove

As of now primary weight holes 2 4 2

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
16 axys silber @ 7
complete indy specialties Turbo clutch kit @ 72.9 grams.
Pulls 8350rpm +/-

One thing I am a little unsure of, what engagement RPM should I be seeing? I normally see around 4200 Rpm. Is this right or should I be seeing higher?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
16 axys silber @ 7
complete indy specialties Turbo clutch kit @ 72.9 grams.
Pulls 8350rpm +/-

One thing I am a little unsure of, what engagement RPM should I be seeing? I normally see around 4200 Rpm. Is this right or should I be seeing higher?

Pretty normal.

Use the backside hole to adjust engagement. (More weight = higher engagement)

Move to heel to lower engagement and raise high early trackspeed.

What elevation?

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
Pretty normal.

Use the backside hole to adjust engagement. (More weight = higher engagement)

Move to heel to lower engagement and raise high early trackspeed.

What elevation?

I should have mentioned with the silber clutching, I was running 76 grams. Still pulling as high as 8650, maybe higher. I was afraid to hold it to the bar. Seemed too high of RPM. So the Indy specialties clutching definitely allowed me to run a lot LESS weight which kept the RPMS lower(8350+/-). They had me dialed out of the box on the weight setup up 72.9.

I wouldn't mind a higher engagement if that would further better the low end snap/turbo lag. Even with this setup its still no NA motor as far as low end snap. That's my biggest complaint of having a turbo sled(low end snap is lost), but once its moving, the power is addicting and FUN!

I am usually 9-11000ft.

Right now, I have Heel hole 1- Has 2 magnets in it, center hole 2- has 1 magnet, 3rd hole- 0 magnets. Pretty sure thats how they set me up. I could try moving 1 magnet from the hole next to the heel, which has 2 magnets, and put that in the 3rd hole. That may increase engagement and give me a little more low end snap?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I should have mentioned with the silber clutching, I was running 76 grams. Still pulling as high as 8650, maybe higher. I was afraid to hold it to the bar. Seemed too high of RPM. So the Indy specialties clutching definitely allowed me to run a lot LESS weight which kept the RPMS lower(8350+/-). They had me dialed out of the box on the weight setup up 72.9.

I wouldn't mind a higher engagement if that would further better the low end snap/turbo lag. Even with this setup its still no NA motor as far as low end snap. That's my biggest complaint of having a turbo sled(low end snap is lost), but once its moving, the power is addicting and FUN!

I am usually 9-11000ft.

Right now, I have Heel hole 1- Has 2 magnets in it, center hole 2- has 1 magnet, 3rd hole- 0 magnets. Pretty sure thats how they set me up. I could try moving 1 magnet from the hole next to the heel, which has 2 magnets, and put that in the 3rd hole. That may increase engagement and give me a little more low end snap?

Move a magnet from #1 to #2

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Well the 2020 riding season is almost here ?

Have not been on this great forum all summer ....( We have been business all summer designing several new Clutch weights.)

I heard Boondocker has been flapping their mouths about their new Turbo weight ( they claim they tested, and they are the next coming of Christ ). Truth be told they copied Indy Specialty Turbo 3 weights as close as they could.

imitation is the best form of flattery.

( Notice how many shops have moved from forums to Facebook ??? .....to push their stuff With no cost advertising.....Rather then pay expensive forum marketing,......Or Snowest Magizine )

Facebook is great for pushing products at no cost advertising ..... it’s cheap, and most often free...... Unlike a forum where the content is more stable. It has to be deleted by a Moderator. ( And forums also have watched with an Iron eye. ) Follow the money as they say.

Not so many years Ago Moderators we’re Protecting ( Power Addiction Products ) Or PAR ..... Then massive failures happen and lots of buyers had a garage full of junk.

Take all the Axys pages on Facebook started by a certain Sled shop ( Anytime any bad press hits their page ( POOF ! DELETE ).

Just Like the Durability Kit ( The Biggest Scam / Polaris Engine failure product of all time. ) And this Failure is why RK-Tech ( RKT ) Kelsey had to leave the Forums and head to Facebook. And came back as an Imposter as ( ADDY ) he has his Facebook Page also ( One bad post on His page and POOF ! DELETED within hours if not minutes.

Just Like Boondocker pushing Turbo Weights On Facebook ( anyone complains ) and poof the powers at be delete any bad press..... it Seems funny..... all the Turbo Companies for the last 10 years have not been able to clutch their own products.

The Indy Specialty Turbo weights hit the market 4 or 5 years Ago and the Turbo companies say our weights don’t work....

Poof ! Now they are offering very simlar Geometery weights.

We are way ahead of them again, The 2020 Season we will be releasing 2 New Polaris Turbo weights at more competitive prices to help people out With all this Covid Bullchit going on.

Turbo 4 , And Turbo 5 , weights will be ready Soon.

The Turbo 4 will have more Fine tune adjustability and More low end throttle response then any other Turbo Clutch weight on the Market.

The Turbo 5 Is designed for the Absolute BOOST Maniacs ! Designed for the guys running 12 to as much as 26 pounds of Boost.

Also Releasing a New Patriot Turbo Weight for extremely High Boost guys..... With very Aggressive Engagement with softer Springs.

There are server all other New weights we have that are not Polaris turbo related, They are for Arctic Cat And the New Ski Doo Turbo P-Drive

Support your snowmobile forums ( Facebook is the death of honest advertising ) Facebook sled shop content is control by the stroke of the DELETE key now days.

With Facebook .....you only get to see what they want you to see.( Do your research people ) Never any complaints and no bad press.

A Big Thanks to all Past, Present, And future Customers.

Indy Specialty will never Stop Trying to build the Best Snowmobile Motor’s and Clutch Products in the World.

Just Remember this.......With Facebook you will never see the REST of the story. All the content is controled.

This post might be a bit controversial even being I pay a fair amount money to advertise here and in their Magizine. ( If I didn’t advertise this Post would be Deleted in less then an hour )

I suggest copying and pasting this post ( or quote it ) Mark my Word Boondocker Will go crying to Harris Publishing like the whinny Cry babies they are. Just like they did about their 850 Head machining that they didn’t even doin In house.

Boondocker claimed they had solved all the DET problems with the 850 and gained power with the ( IDAHO HEAD ) Another massive failure ....Motors made less power Then stock With that head and we’re absolute cows to drive.

Made In America !

Dan[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

go-on-two

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
bc canada
Thanks Dan, love your passion for this amazing sport....only second to your honesty and commitment!!
This better not be deleted, its your right to have an opinion on something you are so invested in.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Well the 2020 riding season is almost here ?

Have not been on this great forum all summer ....( We have been business all summer designing several new Clutch weights.)

I heard Boondocker has been flapping their mouths about their new Turbo weight ( they claim they tested, and they are the next coming of Christ ). Truth be told they copied Indy Specialty Turbo 3 weights as close as they could.

imitation is the best form of flattery.

( Notice how many shops have moved from forums to Facebook ??? .....to push their stuff With no cost advertising.....Rather then pay expensive forum marketing,......Or Snowest Magizine )

Facebook is great for pushing products at no cost advertising ..... it’s cheap, and most often free...... Unlike a forum where the content is more stable. It has to be deleted by a Moderator. ( And forums also have watched with an Iron eye. ) Follow the money as they say.

Not so many years Ago Moderators we’re Protecting ( Power Addiction Products ) Or PAR ..... Then massive failures happen and lots of buyers had a garage full of junk.

Take all the Axys pages on Facebook started by a certain Sled shop ( Anytime any bad press hits their page ( POOF ! DELETE ).

Just Like the Durability Kit ( The Biggest Scam / Polaris Engine failure product of all time. ) And this Failure is why RK-Tech ( RKT ) Kelsey had to leave the Forums and head to Facebook. And came back as an Imposter as ( ADDY ) he has his Facebook Page also ( One bad post on His page and POOF ! DELETED within hours if not minutes.

Just Like Boondocker pushing Turbo Weights On Facebook ( anyone complains ) and poof the powers at be delete any bad press..... it Seems funny..... all the Turbo Companies for the last 10 years have not been able to clutch their own products.

The Indy Specialty Turbo weights hit the market 4 or 5 years Ago and the Turbo companies say our weights don’t work....

Poof ! Now they are offering very simlar Geometery weights.

We are way ahead of them again, The 2020 Season we will be releasing 2 New Polaris Turbo weights at more competitive prices to help people out With all this Covid Bullchit going on.

Turbo 4 , And Turbo 5 , weights will be ready Soon.

The Turbo 4 will have more Fine tune adjustability and More low end throttle response then any other Turbo Clutch weight on the Market.

The Turbo 5 Is designed for the Absolute BOOST Maniacs ! Designed for the guys running 12 to as much as 26 pounds of Boost.

Also Releasing a New Patriot Turbo Weight for extremely High Boost guys..... With very Aggressive Engagement with softer Springs.

There are server all other New weights we have that are not Polaris turbo related, They are for Arctic Cat And the New Ski Doo Turbo P-Drive

Support your snowmobile forums ( Facebook is the death of honest advertising ) Facebook sled shop content is control by the stroke of the DELETE key now days.

With Facebook .....you only get to see what they want you to see.( Do your research people ) Never any complaints and no bad press.

A Big Thanks to all Past, Present, And future Customers.

Indy Specialty will never Stop Trying to build the Best Snowmobile Motor’s and Clutch Products in the World.

Just Remember this.......With Facebook you will never see the REST of the story. All the content is controled.

This post might be a bit controversial even being I pay a fair amount money to advertise here and in their Magizine. ( If I didn’t advertise this Post would be Deleted in less then an hour )

I suggest copying and pasting this post ( or quote it ) Mark my Word Boondocker Will go crying to Harris Publishing like the whinny Cry babies they are. Just like they did about their 850 Head machining that they didn’t even doin In house.

Boondocker claimed they had solved all the DET problems with the 850 and gained power with the ( IDAHO HEAD ) Another massive failure ....Motors made less power Then stock With that head and we’re absolute cows to drive.

Made In America !

Dan
[/QUOTE]

100% true.

I just was laughing while listening to boondocker talk about the weights. (John ferrian live)

“Used CAD to make the geometry more complex”

Lol, more like used cad to copy.........

Keep it up dan.

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
Move a magnet from #1 to #2
Elevation around 10,000ft

Was 2 2 1
Changed to 1 2 1, heel to toe. on silber 7lb spring.
I did notice it snappier down low, along with the pro quick drive gears I added. I think I can drop 1 more magnet to make it even snappier because I never once seen it go over 8300 in the deep pow. On the trails when I pinned it, I seen 8400 max.

Looking at additional venting as well for the intake vents. Guys I was riding with, had additional venting. They pointed this out right away. My sled was running very rich at idle due to this, boggy as well. It was a fight to keep the stock vents clean enough to get enough air in. We we're in handle bar deep snow, and the stock vents, with even a little bit of clogging caused issues. Hopefully that will help someone.

Premium Features