• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ignition cables curing plug fouling for eight fities

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
All - as the owner of a 19' that has been struggling with fouling plugs - I'm hearing some folks are having success in curing this with replacing spark plug caps and possibly replacing or unplugging ignition switch.

I will do some research and see if the ignition switches have been superseded with an improved part number.

Question - is there an avenue for assembled ignition quality cables for the 850? I see SLP has a set - but looks more like a universal fit. Does anyone have any input and or links for quality assembled cables?

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
You can purchase 7mm wire. It’s copper core, I purchase 50’ at a time.
It’s common for the Polaris wires to fail.
You can cut to length, and replace your stock wire.

17C97828-20C8-40C8-9BB5-A0D499C6709C.jpeg

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
So which flash are you running? The 2020.5 has been great on mine. It was rich before that but still was not fouling plugs. Rich tunes are more likely to cause the fouling. If you have a sensor that is faulty and pushes the map to a rich condition it could be to blame.

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
So which flash are you running? The 2020.5 has been great on mine. It was rich before that but still was not fouling plugs. Rich tunes are more likely to cause the fouling. If you have a sensor that is faulty and pushes the map to a rich condition it could be to blame.
It was flashed last in Feb of 2021. When they replaced the engine they also replaced the injectors as well.

C
Jan 14, 2020
Thank you
A bit delayed, but heres my take.

Two stroke personal watercraft use the shiny thick twisted plug wires like above, and they are garbage. They corrode from moisture (because boat) and break, and get crappy conductance, will work when cold but not hot, etc.

Sleds amplify these failure causes as boats aren't ran in zero degree temps, and engine bays stay cool with fully jacketed exhaust systems, whereas sleds start out sometime subzero, with ice everywhere, heat up kinda quickly, thermally shocking everything, and then start blowing hot steam everywhere also in powder, along with hots and colds from stopping and starting all day doing videos, chutes, whatever.

I replace worn out jetski plug wires with 8mm MSD super conductor wires and caps, and they have the little cages that hold caps onto the hex part of the spark plug. all you need for install is crimpers (or be very careful with needle nose pliers) and a razorblade, dielectric grease and some 600 grit sandpaper. I sand off the black insulation from the core before I crimp the cap on, and then coat everything in dielectric.

Summit racing has everything and its less than $50 for everything to do a twin. 4 foot of wire, 2 packs of caps, 1 set for practice crimping if you suck, etc. ez-pz

Premium Features