• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ideas for restricting for beginners?

N
Mar 30, 2020
I will be taking alot of new riders out this year. I have an 01 RMK 700, power special 600s, and an 06 rmk 700 as loaners.

However I am concerned with people hurting themselves. Would I be better off adjusting the clutch to engage low, or restricting the throttle? Or both?

The cats engage pretty high, and it seems like throttle restriction might be difficult to ride.

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
It's definitely easier to ride a sled with lower rpm engagement but how much time and money are you going to spend on 15+ year old loaner sleds? I would just have a few wood wedges and electrical tape on hand to put behind the flipper until they get the hang of it or are in a more open area.

N
Mar 30, 2020
I like the idea of tape! Thanks. This year I will be taking alot of new people out, last year I took out about 10 beginners. 5 of them went out and bought a sled for this year. I'm probably going to take out 3x as many new riders this year.

It's not too much to put a new spring in the clutch, just looking for ideas I might be overlooking.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Hockey tape around bars behind throttle. Take one wrap off after each ride. Keep it simple.

If the sled is ever in a real bind.. You can rip tape off to get it out of there.

I
Dec 21, 2016
1” chunk of heater hose, split to fit over the bar/grip, then a hose clamp with the mechanism positioned behind the throttle block.

My wife’s first time riding a snowmobile ever was on my Mach Z 1000; that was my solution.

Premium Features