• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I can't get used to expert small grips

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
I was having a similar conversation with a friend the other day about their grips. They had moved from a 19SP to a 21 expert turbo.

They were complaining about their hands hurting and such, much like many here.

I asked how tight are you hanging on to the bars. Answer was “tight”. I suggested to try a “looser” grip. Now after spending time riding with the “looser” grip they would not switch back to the old style grip. In fact the comment was made that the old style grip feels like grabbing Coke cans.

Food for thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diggler

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Kalispell, MT
has anyone tried putting the odi grips on the expert bars, will they work or is the id to big?

D
Dec 2, 2011
Hate the new bars. Hands hurt. Put the deep snow grips on. I dont feel they are much better. I hop on my 16 doo with aftermarket bars and grips(cause I bent stock bars) love em. My hands are big and it hurts to grab small stuff now as I get older. So I guess I'll have to eventually replace the bars unless u guys have an idea to fix this issue with larger grips with a link lol to purchase

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
So, if big hands means a big schlong.
And Doo provides small grips for the small hand Doo riders....
What is the average size of a Doo weiner?

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Hate the new bars. Hands hurt. Put the deep snow grips on. I dont feel they are much better. I hop on my 16 doo with aftermarket bars and grips(cause I bent stock bars) love em. My hands are big and it hurts to grab small stuff now as I get older. So I guess I'll have to eventually replace the bars unless u guys have an idea to fix this issue with larger grips with a link lol to purchase

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
I have used the cork insulation and odi grips. Very fat. Perfect for spring riding with thin gloves but with thick mittens she’s a bit of a safety issue. Hard to hang on to.

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
just a thought... how tight are you hanging on? Like dirt bike riding, I try to keep my hands loose on the handle bars.. and honestly did not feel any difference from my XM to my new Expert..

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I thought you found your soul mate on hardcore sledders. Guess your still looking.
I thought you were going to buck up and buy a lifetime Snowest forum membership and support a great source of information for the sled community.
But then I saw that you are a taker of self benefitting info and non contributor of any worthwhile info.
As you were.
Bahahahaha.

T
Nov 29, 2007
Wuhan, WA
I was thinking of putting the Odi grips over the stock grips but I was worried about not feeling the heat through them?
I have ODI grips on my '17. I can tell you that the heat transfer is not as good as the stock paper thin grips. They are still warm, but not hot like they were with the stock grips.

sledMXer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2007
Helena, MT
I have big meat hooks and I didn't think I'd care for the smaller diameter, but so far it hasn't been a problem. The short riser on the other hand - F that! All of the Ski Doo Ambassadors are little sawed-off dudes. I think the riser and bar size should be an option to choose at time of ordering. I would hazard to guess that your typical rider is taller than 5'6-8" tall, and would choose the taller setup. I swapped risers with a guy so mine are 2' taller. Much better. I don't have enough time on the skinny bars to make a final decision yet.

S
Feb 24, 2016
WA
On the skinny bars try gripping more with your fingers and less with your palms. It's hard to get used to but I like it now. I don't tear my hands up as bad when my gloves are soaked either (yeah, us cascade range riders have to deal with wet gloves all the time).

It's definitely not for everyone though.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Humm, Im 5’11.
My brother is 6’2.

We both enjoy the lower riser and the smaller bars.
Its all what your willing to get used to, I grip with my fingers, not my hands.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Lower riser makes for more of a moto feeling. When I am pounding bumps I am hunched like on a bike, legs bent. When I want to cruise, I just move feet forward and stand up straight. All depends on torso and arm length though. When sidehilling, lower is better. Love the 4.5 riser. Put one on my Freeride this year.

Premium Features