• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How to Fix a small crack in Sled Hood

S
Nov 26, 2007
Hi all

I had a bit of an upset this past weekend and crack in the hood. Problem is it is close to the tie down on the hood, so I think it will get worse with time.

What is the best way to stop this crack and strengthen that area?

My sled is a 03 polaris if that makes any difference.

Thanks

P
Nov 26, 2007
Oregon
I had this same problem with my hood earlier this year where the front of the hood attatches. (High stress type area) And I just drilled 3 small holes on each side of the crack, just large enough to stuff a really small zip tie through. Snugged the zip ties up tight. Then I heated a small sharpened piece of wire and melted each end of the crack to prevent it from getting any larger. It's definatly Not the most eye appealing approach, but it worked really well. I have also stitched up some larger cracks like this and it seemed to hold up. Lots cheaper than buying a new hood!!!! Hope it helps!!

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Fiberglass.... hands down the best way to fix any cracks in your hood. You can pick up everything you need from an Ace hardware store for under $20. Simply clean the inside hood area with an abrasive tool and mix up your Fiberglass sheet and resin. Apply the sheets and use a paint brush to spread extra resin on the sheet after application. Let it sit overnight and it'll set up hard as a rock. It saved me from having to buy a new hood. If you want pictures let me know!

Snorider

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2008
fiberglassing it is probably the best way, but i'm a big fan of the zip tie cross stitch myself

good luck:beer;

K

KidWalleye

Dec 5, 2007
Glasgow, MT
Crack in hood

I Havent used this on a snowmobile hood but its fixed a few cracks on my 4wheeler plastic.

Drill small hole at the end of crack like stated above to stop crack from spreading. Then i got sum JB Plastic same as JB Weld its just for plastic and apply to the Inside of plastic. then you can touch it up with paint if you like. The local napa has it i think the tube was like 5 or 6 dollars. I am sure fiberglass works just as good if not better i just never thought of that i guess...

Gary

M
Dec 18, 2002
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Drill a very small hole at the end of the crack to stop it from running any further. Then, as Powder stated, use some zip ties to hold it together.

ditto!!

Personally I think the zip ties look cool. And its a bit more subtle than duct tape.

The zip ties work. ...unless u are not planning on rolling the sled ever again :)

Stay away from fiberglass. Generally the repair will need to flex with the hood. It really depends on what type of material the hood is made from. There might be some plastic weld or epoxy that'll work for your material. But I'd still put the zip ties in anyway to give the repair strength.

U might want to mention what type of hood u have. Could help u with Cat 1M material. (edit: oh ya - u did already. 2003 Poo. Sorry cant help u there.)

If u do too good a repair, I'd bet there's a tree out there with your name on it waiting for ur nxt ride. Murphy's Law I think.

Last edited:

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I just repaired the hood on one of our sleds. Go to a shop that sells paints and repair stuff for cars. They have a plasitic repair kit (like a two part epoxy) for plastic bumpers and such that you can buy in different sizes depending on how much you need. Can get the big tube(s) with the mixing attachment..kind of spendy if you are going to use only a small amount, or there is a small tube. I got the small one and hand mixed it. Was about $10.00. Had a crack that was about four inches long and was just enough. Try to get it as straight as you can and make a V with a dremel or die grinder in the back side of the break...not going all the way through. Then rough up around the sides and used a plastic mesh that drywallers use for taping, is about 2 inches wide with adhesive on one side. Stickes to the plastic well enough to hold it in place to mix the repair material and spread it on covering the mesh. Takes anout 15 minutes and is basically dry. It stays somewhat pliable and sticks real good. No holes or anything from the outside you just see the crack. If you go past the crack an inch or so it should keep it from running. I have another hood that was fixed the same way 3 years ago and it looks just the way it did when it was repaired.

stum1967

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central North Dakota
cut a thin strip of metal window screen abount 1/2" wide. Lay it over the crack on the back side [clean it first] . Use an electric soldering gun with a wide flat tip to melt the screen into the bare plastic until the screen is covered with the melted residue. Then put a layer of 2 part urethane repair material over it. You can get that from most body shop supply stores. We use this way of fixing cracked car bumpers and it seems to be pretty strong.

D
Nov 28, 2007
Kamloops
I just repaired the hood on one of our sleds. Go to a shop that sells paints and repair stuff for cars. They have a plasitic repair kit (like a two part epoxy) for plastic bumpers and such that you can buy in different sizes depending on how much you need. Can get the big tube(s) with the mixing attachment..kind of spendy if you are going to use only a small amount, or there is a small tube. I got the small one and hand mixed it. Was about $10.00. Had a crack that was about four inches long and was just enough. Try to get it as straight as you can and make a V with a dremel or die grinder in the back side of the break...not going all the way through. Then rough up around the sides and used a plastic mesh that drywallers use for taping, is about 2 inches wide with adhesive on one side. Stickes to the plastic well enough to hold it in place to mix the repair material and spread it on covering the mesh. Takes anout 15 minutes and is basically dry. It stays somewhat pliable and sticks real good. No holes or anything from the outside you just see the crack. If you go past the crack an inch or so it should keep it from running. I have another hood that was fixed the same way 3 years ago and it looks just the way it did when it was repaired.

I used the same stuff... works awesome! Right near a tie down spot as well. Its called urathane structural adhesive. or panel adhesive. I didn't even use a dremal I just sorta spred the crack and got the glue in between. The plastic mesh is a good idea.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
I got the cheap welding kit through Northern Tool. It works great. great DVD and instructions. This thing has a million uses, don't tell your friends on Snowest though, you'll we repairing full time. lol. Good luck.

100_4337.jpg

100_4336.jpg

100_4333.jpg

100_4341.jpg

T

TravRMK

Feb 1, 2004
Pocatello, ID
Go to the autobody store and get this
DSCN1397Medium.jpg

then get you something like this
DSCN1395Medium.jpg

then drill out the ends of the cracks like this
DSCN1388Medium.jpg

then grind a groove in the underside of the crack, and roughen up all around it like this
DSCN1392Medium.jpg

apply tape on the outside to keep the crack closed, and from moving. It also helps keep the adhesive from seeping through ont the top. like this
DSCN1389Medium.jpg

DSCN1390Medium.jpg

DSCN1391Medium.jpg

then apply the fiberglas reinforced drywall tape like this (I added additional layers not seen here. Then take and apply the adhesive liberaly, and spread it out, and push into the mesh, and cracks with a bondo spreader.
DSCN1396Medium.jpg

Went from this
DSCN1387Medium.jpg

DSCN1386Medium.jpg

Last edited:
T

TravRMK

Feb 1, 2004
Pocatello, ID
....To this
hooddone4.jpg

hooddone3.jpg

hooddone2.jpg

hooddone1.jpg

You obviously don't have to repaint your hood if you don't mind seeing the crack. But since I like to airbrush, and paint stuff, I did so.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
WOW......Forget the plastic welder, the clear choice is just send your stuff to Trav RMK. That looks great. EW

G

GADGETMONKEY

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 27, 2007
GRANITE FALLS
I Agree Send It To Trav Rmk

That Is Awesome, Look Like That Hood Was A Basket Case Before You Started Would Like To See The Under Side Just For Morbid Curiousity

H
Mar 13, 2013
Hi!

I have a snowmobile hood that needs some tabs repaired (see pics). I'm not sure what the material the hood is made from (Lexan maybe? I read somewhere on the net that it might be Lexan).

Any advice on how to repair this? If you don't know, know someone who would know?

Tab #1
Tab 1.jpg

Tab #2
Tab 2.jpg

H
Mar 13, 2013
Go to the autobody store and get this
DSCN1397Medium.jpg

then get you something like this
DSCN1395Medium.jpg

then drill out the ends of the cracks like this
DSCN1388Medium.jpg

then grind a groove in the underside of the crack, and roughen up all around it like this
DSCN1392Medium.jpg

apply tape on the outside to keep the crack closed, and from moving. It also helps keep the adhesive from seeping through ont the top. like this
DSCN1389Medium.jpg

DSCN1390Medium.jpg

DSCN1391Medium.jpg

then apply the fiberglas reinforced drywall tape like this (I added additional layers not seen here. Then take and apply the adhesive liberaly, and spread it out, and push into the mesh, and cracks with a bondo spreader.
DSCN1396Medium.jpg

Went from this
DSCN1387Medium.jpg

DSCN1386Medium.jpg
What products did you use Trav? The photo bucket images are not available.

Premium Features