• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How to block wireless from your Computer?

S
Nov 30, 2007
centralBC
Somebody told me that he's using his laptop with a wireless device, and uses other people signals.
How can I block somebody from doing this to me?
I find that somedays my download speed is way down fluctuating. Please help.

S

snowrdr

Nov 26, 2007
Reno, NV
You need to change the settings on your Router. The setting needs to become encrypted with a user name and password versus an unsecure connection. You will need to check your Router makers website on how to go in and change the settings. Just did my Linksys the other day.

S
Nov 30, 2007
centralBC
You need to change the settings on your Router. The setting needs to become encrypted with a user name and password versus an unsecure connection. You will need to check your Router makers website on how to go in and change the settings. Just did my Linksys the other day.

Can you do this, if you don't have a router?

M
Nov 26, 2007
Okotoks
you can also make your wireless hidden. No one else can use it unless they know the network name. You should have an ip address with your router that lets you change settings like enrypting and hidden or not. I have to let my neighbor know that I can access his son's wireless access. Plus he's using his son's full name as the network name. Not a good thing.

FirstPlaceParts

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Mina, SD
www.FirstPlaceParts.com
Go to this URL and download ZoneAlarm: www.ZoneAlarm.com. It is personal firewall, it will keep people out and let you know when someone is trying to access your machine. I've used it for years and have to say it is a great piece of software. If you don't understand it just read the help menus or PM with some questions.

It is free and works great. I know windows has a built in firewall, but does MS build anything that is great.

T
Dec 15, 2007
WEP Encryption is not the best if your not hiding your network name as well. :( Give me a laptop and allow your network SSID to be broadcast and I can crack WEP in 5 minutes or less depending on the traffic on the network. ;)

Go here and find your router and you should be able to find the instructions that will help you SECURE your wireless network. :D
http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways.aspx?for=Home+Networking

If your Netgear wireless router supports WEA Encryption use that instead of WEP. WEA can still be cracked but it is a los less feasable than cracking WEP.

L8R
Todd
:cool:

Premium Features