• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How often does your "SHOT" work?

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
Maybe I better take mine and get it checked out. My 2020 expert works less times than it does. Sounds like I better just have mine looked at is it may be a fluke that could be fixed

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have a 2019 850 SP 165 with less than 100 miles on it. Shot seems to work about 2/3 of the time, if that. No consistency at all. One time I can ride 10 minutes straight and it wont work. Sometimes I ride 2 minutes and it works. Sometimes I hold it 3-4 seconds and it works others 6-10 seconds, and sometimes not at all. What is normal?
I have had ZERO issues with mine.
Absolutely LOVE IT.

snow-doo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Atascadero Ca
2019 had a big problem with the capacitor,if you look around you can find the fail rate.Take it to a dealer and have it replaced.I took mine in last year,has operated ok since

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
We had ours fail. But it was a software update that the dealer didn't install properly. For some reason the update needed to be re installed 3 times before it was confirmed. YAY computers!!!
Been fantastic since then.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Had a couple of issues with mine after the dealer did an update when new.Took it to a compatant tech and part of the repair was to replace the capacitor,Too bad really, that capacitor was hot as a firecracker. Would hold a charge for hours..literally. I've had zero issues going into my third year...

D
Feb 20, 2009
I have a 2019 850 SP 165 with less than 100 miles on it. Shot seems to work about 2/3 of the time, if that. No consistency at all. One time I can ride 10 minutes straight and it wont work. Sometimes I ride 2 minutes and it works. Sometimes I hold it 3-4 seconds and it works others 6-10 seconds, and sometimes not at all. What is normal?

I have a 2019 Summit SP, 165, and last with virtually now miles on it, the SHOT quit working. Took it in to the shop. They checked it out, said the shot was faulty, had seen a couple similar issues. Replaced on Warranty.
Good luck: Dennis

mtnxtreme1

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
redding ca.
My 2019 x worked great all year
A couple of xp sleds did not work till the end of the year
it just took them that long to get them in for the up date
you have to be patience and hold the button down longer than expected

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
2019, pull start in the morning then 100% flawless for the past 1.5 seasons.

like others have said, you have to push the button just right and hold it for a few seconds

I love having extra energy to ride rather than pulling the rope 50 times a day. I didn’t think it was a big deal till I had Shot. There is no going back for this guy.

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
Tried to patient again yesterday. Only worked about 50% of the time. If i turned the kill switch off and then back on again, then it would generally work after that. By the time I get done screwing around with pulling the brake lever, waiting for 3 to 5 seconds holding the shot button down, and then half the time having to cycle the kill switch, it's easily just to pull the stupid rope.

I'll definitely have the dealer look at it next time its in the shop, but not really impressed so far. Other than that, I don't regret the new 850 expert at all

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
With SHOT, I find the button really needs to be pressed down. Something I don't always doo with gloves on. Other than that the 5 of us that have it have no issues and all would get it again.

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
I am not a shot fan. I switched over to electric start years ago and dont consider this an improvment. More weight for electric start blah blah blah. I've never noticed the weight nor was I ever at a competive disadvantage over my pull start hot rodded buddy's. My 18 shot failed twice. I was so irritated the 2nd time I just parked it for the rest of the season and rode my 17. So far my 20 Expert has worked. I have a freind that his 18 shot just failed. Had he not elected for the longer waranty the dealer said the failed capacitors are $700. Im a die hard Ski-doo guy but this seems like a mess in the making. I only keep my sleds 1 or 2 seasons but those capacitors dont seem to me like a part that's going to have longevity. My electric start sleds going back to 2010 failed zero times.

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
I am not a shot fan. I switched over to electric start years ago and dont consider this an improvment. More weight for electric start blah blah blah. I've never noticed the weight nor was I ever at a competive disadvantage over my pull start hot rodded buddy's. My 18 shot failed twice. I was so irritated the 2nd time I just parked it for the rest of the season and rode my 17.

The 18 still has a rope. Did you switch to the 17 because you didn't want to deal with the temptation and eventual frustration associated with the shot button?

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
i am a shot fan, granted i have a 2020 and low miles but no issues and i love the convenience. sounds though like this technology has some teething issues which are hopefully sorted out.

Premium Features