• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How NON-Motorized activists will restrict Snowmobile access to US Forest Service Land

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
R
Mar 30, 2009
gypsum colorado
I will and have supported many causes to protect motor sports. But here it is in a nut shell politicians are there to do what is best for those that voted them to office which dose not include you or I. It only includes the ones that filled there accounts to get voted into office.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Lets not waste time over beating this to death with "That's not fair" OR "Them greenies.. I won't give them an inch" OR "They will never be satisfied unless...."

Instead, spend your time, get off your butt and do something positive and constructive.

Make no mistake, this is the huge open "BACK DOOR" into changing this legislature...

They will simply "clarify" with a few lines and backcountry sledding as we currently know it is over... This could happen this year NATIONWIDE!!

If you have read this... Do MORE...MUCH MORE... than just "FWD" this link to a fellow sledder/supporter. Get your local business that get money from sledding involved too.
A simple click on your out box is good... following up with an email that wont get deleted because it says "FWD" on it is better.

As Dave said, this is ONE thing that SW and BCR members CAN and SHOULD agree upon.

Make no mistake, if this petition takes root, it will eliminate your sledding like a BOMB and all those powdercoated, billet or turbocharged purchases wont do SQUAT for you.

Last edited:
S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
IMO if they don't occupie areas in the backcountry, they should have no say in what goes on there. As stated above they are only found just a few short miles form the parking lots.
With that being said, I write a fear amount of letters to my Represenitive, congress men, U.S.F.S. so on and so on. What is the best place to send letters, about these issues. From most effective to least. Should we focuse on one, or several, or all?

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
christopher
If you have not yet need to set this thread up so all can read it.[/QUOTE]

This is in the ANNOUNCEMENTS SECTION.
Should be UNLIMITED READ/POSTING for all members??

S
Feb 4, 2008
Seattle wa
my .02 rant

I understand where they are coming from on the snow level issue and do like the idea of having a minimum snow level to ride off trail. Dont most places have this anyways? I was pretty sure mt. baker closes at a certain snow level same with govenment meadows.I can imagine alot of places have this rule.
How many cross country skiers make it 20 miles from their subaru? by the way not a green vehicle by any means not diesel and approx. 24mpg?

Also how do backcountry skier's get out to where they ski?not everybody has a helicopter. Who pays for their groomer on the cross country trails and our trails they use.
They dont even allow fellow granola's with dogs on their cross country trails because the dogs poke holes that their ski poles get stuck in. I laughed when I heard this. I told the person that was rediculous and she replied
"a lot of things are rediculous" I think she was refering to sledding.
I always wave and try to slow down when approaching and passing fellow snow lovers on the trails. Isn't that common courtesy? In the lots I always wave or say hello. They wave about half the time the other they frown because your ruining their experience because they wanted to see an animal out on a trail where theres no one around.Wolves like vegitarians remember....:face-icon-small-hap

D
Dec 11, 2007
Why are our Freedoms being attacked?

This is just a petition to have some law maker create a bill on their behalf? I don't know what it takes for the USDA to amend the rule. The only way to fight their petition would be to sponsor our own making OSV permanently excluded from the 2005 Travel Management; Designated Routes and Areas for Motor Vehicle Use Rule (CFR Parts 212, 251 and 281).

This is like any other legal issue....whoever has the most money wins. I don't want to get people down and I love the sport as much as anyone (live in SC), but we need money and representation on this issue.

Who is spearheading a campaign to fight this petition directly? I will do what I can to help, as I have called my state representatives when wildlife area votes have come up in congress.

G
Jan 19, 2008
DO THEY REALLY HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO?

I HATE THE FACT THAT ALL THESE ENVIRONMENTAL GROUPS HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO THAN DESTROY THE ENJOYMENT OF THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE HERE. WHAT GIVES THEM MORE RIGHT TO CONTROL THE FOREST THAN US?

July 15, 2010
Now This Is Scary

http://www.snowest.com/news/index.cfm?ID=2482
spacer.gif
If you thought that environmental groups and their allies in Congress would be happy with just locking up vast in Wilderness to eliminate motorized recreation, boy were you wrong.

We received an e-mail today titled: Petition to Remedy Snowmobile Exemption from Travel Management Rule. It is being circulated by the Winter Wildlands Alliance.

Here is an excerpt from the e-mail that is being circulated nationwide. I am emailing with the hope that you and your organization will sign on to the attached petition asking the Department of Agriculture to remove the over-snow vehicle (OSV) exemption from the 2005 Travel Management Rule and thereby bring snowmobiles and other OSVs under the same management standards as other classes of off-road vehicles. The 2005 Travel Management Rule restricts off-road vehicle use to designated routes, trails and areas on National Forest System lands.”

With the e-mail there is an attachment (see the attached PDF) that goes into great detail about what the Winter Wildlands Alliance (along with anyone else who will sign on) is proposing. In short, they want to eliminate cross country travel from all national forest lands.

Go ahead and have a look. It might just ruin your whole day.

Stay alert sledders and be involved in keeping public lands open to the public and not restricted to a select few.
I love how they complain about the noise and devastation we cause riding snowmobiles and atv's in the forest. Then they come along and log half of the god damn forest and totally ruin it. This is the biggest bunch of bull**** ever. I,m sick of hearing the D.N.R. whine about this.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
So what's the plan of attack?

What representatives do I need to send letters to, just my state reps?

What organizations are going to fight this cause and whom can I send $$$ to?

I'm sure there are many of us freaking out about this issue, but some like myself need more info so we can actually start helping the cause here instead of talking about it.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have written to both SAWS and BRC asking for comment on this proposal as I was NOT able to find anything on it on either of their websites.

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
I just sent my letter to this Mark Menlove in Boise. His last name says it all.

I sent in my fifty to SAWs as well.

I sent my letters to the Forest service and to State Senators. I would guess that most of these letters fell on deaf ears.

We need the manufactures to help out with some Pro Bono legal service.

I agree we are only ever on the defensive..it is time we go on the offensive and have our own petition that will nullify any other types of domestic acts of terrorism.

Do we have any Attorneys or close friends or family of an Attorney that could help out?

It seems that with the amount of revenue to be lost from Polaris, Ski-Doo, Yamaha and Arctic combined that they could bring in some big hitters and get this resolved oir at least keep it in court for 10 years.

Can this Mark Manlover be sued for falsifing his so called "conflicts" they are heresay at best and with no proof they should be deemed inadmisable in any legal document.

He should have added how a women on skiis on the groomed snowmobile trail flung her ski pole at my wife while she rode down from Blewitt pass snowpark.

On the WMC version of land grabs, I have requested under the freedom of information act for the names on the petition and have had no reply.

Manufactures are you listening?

Last edited:
T
Jan 3, 2008
Yes we can too.. I think we should all put a fund together and do our own research on the cross country skiers how they impact the wild life, forest ,fish,tress etc I know they litter when they are in the mountains they hike all day and ski with no outhouse"s fecal waste toilet paper in the wilderness area just to mention a few ideas. Why should they be granted access to the area? seems unfair......... I think we need to find a veteran and other people in our sport that is HANDICAPPED and sue the state for not allowing them access as to where skiers can go.. Can snowest have a trust fund account so we the members donate into it for legal issues like this and or other issues like trail maintenance warming huts etc?

ONe more question why is it we cant ride on any cross country ski routes? But they can go on our trail system? hmmm

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I would think this is something that _ALL_ snowmobile manufacturers would want to be involved in as well.

That is the one trend I hate to continually see is the companies' whose bottom line is effected by this really don't do a damnned thing to support our access rights.

snomoride

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2009
Sierra Village Ca.
Wow, BRC has known about this, I'm a member of that this pisses me off, Everyone is right on this 'Is there any stopping these people,We working folks do not have the time that they do because most of them probley don't work, Plus they lobbist on there side along with every other greenie out there, My wife and I we will write a letter or too to the right people hope others do, Plus I'll still ride where I need to.

Premium Features