• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How Do Your Protect Your Balls?

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Thanks for looking. Not what you think though (probably).

I have a B&W adjustable hitch and the unused ball rubs the ground (imagine the balls rotated 90 degrees so one faces down) if I am not careful while turning into some driveways. Anyone made a small skid plate or other protective metal cover so the ball doesn't have direct contact with the pavement?
BW.PNG

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Simplest answer is to, Raise ur balls so they don't drag.

Wear tighter underwear, that should keep them off the ground...

Now the funny is out, how about a real answer, raise the tongue on ur trailer's so they are all at the same height so u don't need a long drop hitch. Then u just rotate the balls for the different size holes.

Sent it

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Raising the coupler or tongue is not something I wish to pursue. Sometimes I pull others trailers and their height varies and that is another reason I dropped the dough on an adjustable hitch.

Curious if anyone has any type of protective cover which can handle some minor scraping if I misjudge my speed or angle while turning off a street and there is a dip before entering a gas station etc.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Airbags or better 3/4 ton truck.

You pulling with a Honda truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Has nothing to do with his truck.
The trailer he is towing has a tongue that is to low for a multi ball hitch.
The correct solution is to raise the tongue or buy the proper sized drop hitch with just 1 ball for that trailer.

I chose to cut the tongues off my low trailers and put heavy duty adjustable tongues on so that they are all the same height.

Sent it

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Yes, tongue is too low for adjustable hitch with opposing balls. Realize that now and in retrsopect I should have chosen an adjustable hitch which has the balls that can be swapped out by removing a pin which holds the ball on the ball mount.

This isnt a huge problem and I can live with it and be careful. I just thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone had made or bought an inexpensive way to protect the ball against those occasional scrapes.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I would have considered that hitch but didnt even know it existed until after I bought the BW. Looks pretty slick.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The rhino hitch is badazz but it also pushes the trailer back 8-12". My next hitch will be the anodized black Rhino.
With hopes that the winter road salts won't destroy it like the other $250 Aluminum drop hitches i have.
The best part is adjusting the tongue height with trailer attached !

If u have a GM product with the trailer plugin up on the top of the bumper, make sure ur wires from the trailer are long enough.

Sent it

Premium Features