• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How bad can scarred cylinders be and still be usable?

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
I have a 04v REV I am rebuilding, and the mag side has some gouges in it. Smooth, but gouges, can I use it. Just a back up sled, new crank, pistons, stator and MAg.

Thanks for the input.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
I have a 04v REV I am rebuilding, and the mag side has some gouges in it. Smooth, but gouges, can I use it. Just a back up sled, new crank, pistons, stator and MAg.

Thanks for the input.

I used to run some pretty scary looking cylinders on my 900 1m never really had any trouble but piston and ring sealing are not as good . it never stranded me but those cat 900 s were pretty strong and could run with a lot of damage. nothing better than new though good luck

K
Nov 27, 2007
Washington
Haha

I once got a sea doo boat with twin 582s running in which all the cylinders were ! Filled! With rust and corrosion. They were frozen so that I had to use a 3x3 and a full size sledge hammer on the high Pistons along with about a gallon of wd40. Once they were loosened up I put it all back together and ran the boat all summer. Probably 200 hours. One of the cranks broke in half on the last time we had it out in the fall. So... I guess I agree with the guy above. It will go, just don't know how long.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
If a ceramic plated cylinder is scared the ceramic will continue cracking flaking of more and more bits. Behind the plating is just aluminium that will be eaten away by the rings quite fast. A damaged plated cylinder should be fixed/replaced asap.
Something what at first glance looks like a damaged bore is actually metal from the piston burned to the cylinder wall. In this case the aluminium can be removed from the cylinder with acid.

A steel cylinder will take more damage and still be usable, it wont work perfectly though.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Just exchange your core for a replated cylinder mine was only $215 through millennium technologies for my 08 RMK 600 CFI, great customer service.

Premium Features