• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How are the 2017s holding up

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
Just curious how they’ve been holding up after 4 years, i’m in the market for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
Just curious how they’ve been holding up after 4 years, i’m in the market for one.

If possible I'd say step up to 18s unless all recalls done, mine burned up as in full on fire, and clutch improvements done as well. I've heard that also the wiring was very tight, not much slack, and those wires have become brittle bc of being stretched.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Idahodoo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Pocatello Idaho
www.jcscutomvents.com
I had all updates done, + complete 2019 engine wiring harness all under warrantee, now I have no issues with my 2017, last season with warrantee.
  • Grip N Rip Alignment/Mounts + BRP updated Motor mounts & BRP clutch cover/vent + Joes Clutch Kit, clutching perfect + no belt issues.
  • RPS Full Skid Plate
  • All Grip N Rip Braces for bulk head and arms
  • Raptor Performance shocks all around With Ace Coil Over, Best suspension I've ever had on a sled.
  • JCs Custom Vents for more cooling
Great Sled & I will keep it when I get My Turbo.

96-ramair

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2012

Like Idahodoo, I've had all the updates done, with an emphasis on the bulkhead brace kit and the Doo factory clutch vent kit, both of which are standard on new sleds. My riding crew has 7 17's and never have been towed out. We had 2 sleds with harness pin issues at the boost injectors (a known issue covered under warranty). That's it. They've been very reliable and are still going strong.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Idahodoo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Pocatello Idaho
www.jcscutomvents.com
Harness pin issues at the boost injectors (a known issue covered under warranty) Yeppers mine went into limp mode 3 times because of pin issues at the boost injector, never had to get towed out and one time I didn't have to tow another guy in our group that had front drive bearing fail on the belt drive side on a pro. Kind of glad as the trail conditions real crappy that day.
Dealer said after the 3rd time they would just put the updated harness in, I said (y) Get R Done

Last edited:

Tjtwenty

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2016
I bought a 17 165 brand new and flogged the crap out of it for 4 years. Only thing I did was zrp clutching, bulkhead brace and 1 shim on clutch side motor mount. 2000 hard miles, no blown belts, however, I check them every ride and change at about 500 miles just to be on the safe side

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
17 sleds were a gamble. There were good ones and bad ones. The head o-rings caused a lot of burndowns here. Updated part in 18. The clutching was a real mystery. There were some as mentioned above that were great. A guy I know here still has his 17 and never had a belt issue. I couldn't get 100 miles out of a belt and I was very careful with them/side panels open a huge part of the day cooling them down. I hated both of my 17 sleds so much that I sold one in the middle of the season, I was scared that i was going to get stuck with it. 18 was considerably better, 19 was great, 20 was amazing. Huge improvements every year.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Bought 3 2017 sleds.
None of them had any manufacturing defects, but I managed to do some significant impact damage to each of them.
If you're going to get a 17, be ready to do some structural upgrades as outlined in some of the previous posts.
the GRIP N RIP is well worth it.

Of the three, I still have one, and she runs great.

R
Nov 16, 2016
Would some of these issues apply to the 2016 800 Summit Xs?
I have a friend who just bought one with 900 miles on it.

Tjtwenty

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2016
The 16's are a completely different sled, chassis and motor. However, they definitely will benefit from a bulkhead and nun brace

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
My 2017 x 850 had the cracked bulkhead,
wire harness problems (rubbed wires from zip ties being too tight from factory)
coolant temp sensor wire broke on sensor
pto then mag side piggyback injector wires breaking at the unit,
2x on the electric starter bendix; (this is fkin near a $700CDN fix at the dealer each time) if the engine does not have the pull recoil, I very much recommend to spend the $-raha-$ on the pull start kit and then you won't have down time because of it. (AND put reflective aluminum foil tape all over the cover to reflect exhaust heat)
BRP Engine mount update
BRP gearing updates. (19-45 to 21-53)
...Really, if you found a 17, its high probability all what's gone wrong with it has been fixed. (except for maybe the starter bendix)

Recommendation: grip and rip complete alignment procedure, using the supplied torque tool. You'll lower the temperatures from a possible 310F down to 200F and less. Unreal how this lowered belt temperatures.

I hammer my 17 and its a fkin joy to drive.

T
Oct 1, 2020
For the price, I wouldn’t bother spending the money on the Grip and Rip alignment tool unless you know you have a belt problem. It’s hit and miss. Many of the ‘17s don’t have any issues with blown belts. For the price of belts though I can’t imagine someone is still riding a ‘17 without fixing the problem. Sounds like the alignment is practically a sure thing.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
plan on losing the antifreeze out of the bottom of the engine in the near future

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
rod bearing goes bad due to a poor oiling system and pops a whole in the case. 19 and 20 are fixed of this issue.

B
Dec 3, 2001
No. Utah
2000 trouble free miles. All updates done still on the original belt. I’ve hit a couple of things where I worried about the bulk head, but it’s straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
i would say 2500 miles is the life of a 17. ours started with not ideling and headed back to town and didnt make it the 20 miles to get back.

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
I appreciate everyones comments. despite a pretty strong to desire to make a home brewed expert, I came across a new hold over Axys that I couldn't pass up. The used market prices are pretty astronomical. Plenty of people are asking 9-10k for 2017s yet....

Premium Features