• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hood bolt

beerios5

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2013
east kootney
Well it was bound to happen, I lost my lower hood bolt/screw. Anyone figure out a substitute yet at $16 each? Or could find the thread pitch?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dunatyk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Screw is an M6x1.0 . I seen how much the cost is also because I was going to by a spare just in case I lost one. My plan is to get an M6x1.0 button head cap screw that’s is the correct length and just machine myself a little bushing to cover part of the threads to mimic a shoulder bolt. Hope this helps

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
16! I might look elsewhere also.

Last edited:

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
I take them out and never put them back. If you have the hood set correct it can't move anyway. I like the new plastics but this should have been designed to take the hood off without tools.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I’m thinking about one similar to the proclimb clutch side that can be twisted by hand.

R
Dec 28, 2007
I replaced mine on my pro climb with an old style rubber hood hold down strap . Worked well
Still running the bolt on the Alpha . Don't run without it. Supports the weight of the hood and will stress the intake seal .

N
Nov 14, 2012
I replaced mine on my pro climb with an old style rubber hood hold down strap . Worked well
Still running the bolt on the Alpha . Don't run without it. Supports the weight of the hood and will stress the intake seal .
100% does not support the weight of the hood. There’s a small ledge above the air box opening that supports it. you can usually see the rub marks when the hoods off.
probably could ride without the bolt, but why chance it... bring a torx with you.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I forgot to tighten mine down before my first ride. Unknown to me, it was in the driveway as I left on a trip. About 5 miles down the trail I realized it. Kept on eye on it and hood stayed put, but I was nervous. Ended up "drilling" two holes adjacent to the bolt and running zip ties to keep the hood sucked back tight. Worked great. Found the bolt in the driveway later that week but now I have a good backup plan.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Not to derail your thread but in response to some of the comments in here I also had some buddys tell me those werent needed. I made them open their hood for me on the mountain. Guess what? Intake packed with ice. You are just asking for a failed engine due to ingestion if you aren't running one. It literally takes 8 seconds to take that screw out.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Not to derail your thread but in response to some of the comments in here I also had some buddys tell me those werent needed. I made them open their hood for me on the mountain. Guess what? Intake packed with ice. You are just asking for a failed engine due to ingestion if you aren't running one. It literally takes 8 seconds to take that screw out.
Seems relevant to me. Best to do all you can to keep these sealed up. I wouldn't trust the 1/4 turns alone to keep it in place for long. Bolt sucks the hood back so the above mentioned shelf can bear the bulk of the weight (as well as the lips inside the rubber seal).

Premium Features