• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Home Theater Dimensions

R
Nov 28, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
I'm finishing my basement and want to put in a "theater" with multi-leveled seating areas, etc. I have 2 options for where to put it - both of which seem a little less than ideal from a size standpoint. They are 11' x 16' or 9-1/2 feet by 22 feet. These are max dimensions and certainly could be cut down as needed.

I don't have any equipment yet but was thinking about something like a 60-inch screen with some stadium type seating and a good audio system. There are only 4 of us so I suspect the set-up will only seat 6 to 8.

My question is - which "space" would be better? 9.5 seems too narrow to me. Any thoughts?

J
Nov 26, 2007
Denver
The 11 x 16 will also sound better. I'm an Architect and live on the north side of Thornton, let me know if you need any ideas. Its a small world, I store my sleds at the Erie airport just west of you.

R
Nov 28, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
THANKS a ton for the offer. I'm liking that 11x16 space the more I look at it. I have the basement about 1/3 framed -I needed an office and decided the kids needed a play room so I have about 1/3 left to finish with the remaining 1/3 mechanical and storage. Theater either goes north/south or east/west with the remaining storage and a bathroom.

Do you lease storage over there or is it a buddy's place? I'm going to need some extra stroage space in the coming year and that would be nice and close. I'd prefer a garage/workshop type storage deal but that could be tough to find.

R
Nov 28, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Thanks for the link MP - I was planning to wire for 7.1 but I definetely not "up" on the sound world.

I have had sound people tell me to forget the expensive Monster Cable and just run coax. You bring up a good question - what kind of wire for the prewire??

M
Oct 15, 2001
Forest Lake, MN
Thanks for the link MP - I was planning to wire for 7.1 but I definetely not "up" on the sound world.

I have had sound people tell me to forget the expensive Monster Cable and just run coax. You bring up a good question - what kind of wire for the prewire??

Yes stay away from the Monster Cables. They are not bad cables they are built with quality in mind BUT honestly you will not hear the difference between expensive and cheap.

Some higher end receivers will have an auto adjust feature that will automatically setup your speakers for you with a mic and a button. Granted a bigger room will work maybe a little better, a small room can sound just as good.

They key is to keep vibration down. You could have the best system in the world but if chit is vibrating it will sound like crap.

Just my .02cents.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
My theater room is 22' with 2 rows (back one lifted 13"). I also run a 7.1 and love the sound transfer difference I get having that kind of length for the surround to travel over. You can get directional (dipole) speakers for the surround and really set up some awesome effects.

The catch for a room that long is where to put the projector. There is price jump from a standard lens projector (up to 15' or so) and a long throw that is required for good HD quality beyond that.

If you can hang the projector over head in the ceiling, your probably OK. I didn't want it there due to looks/motor sound, so I mounted a long throw on the back wall and love it. Make sure you get some good advice when installing the screen and projector as the relationship of the two to each other is very important depending on the model you choose.

I also wired a 50 amp home run or dedicated power supply from the panel to the projector. Good idea if you can pull it off. You don't want the typical house flicker that happens when the fridge compressor fires up to effect the power supply to your most expensive piece.

As you travel from store to store looking at picture and hearing the different sound systems remember how well the dealer room is set up will change things a lot, also, take your own dvd for the demo so you are hearing the same scene over and over for an apples to apples comparison. Some dealer dvd's are recorded much better than others making their equipment seem better. Matrix is a good one to take, make sure the gun shots echo and fly by and that you hear every shard of broken glass.

The real test for quality sound is if it sounds good at lower volumes too. Dont let the salesman just crank it up, cause thay all have a WOW effect at high levels especially if this is your first. Look for quality sounds at lower levels too. Good luck. EW

R
Nov 28, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Thanks Eric - that is great info and advise.

I can hang the projector and running a dedicated circuit is a piece of cake at this stage of the finish.

How wide is your room? I have 22' long but only 9-1/2 wide which makes me nervous.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
14' wide in the main theater room, but the room opens into another room that is large as well. I am hanging a curtain soon. I also have a vaulted ceiling which made things interesting as well.

I used a guy that works the Spokane, WA area to advise on my layout and equipment. Where are you located? I bought many of my components from him as well and he just drop shipped them to me. I can get you his info if you like. Great guy to deal with & fellow motor head. EW

Premium Features