• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HMK Backcountry pack

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I've been riding with the HMK Backcountry pack so far this season (2009-2010)

HMK's specs:
ALL_PACKS_LG.jpg

# 1200 cubic inches
# Constructed of 420D rip-stop nylon & 1680 D Ballistic Nylon
# Vertical Snowboard or Skateboard Carrier
# Large Zip Front Pocket
# Zippered tool pocket with key clip
# Top Grab Handle
# Two mesh side pockets
# Padded Shoulder Straps and padded back
# Adjustable Sternum strap and adjustable waist belt for added torso support
# Separate Zippered Access to Hydration System Pocket with Drink Tube Port
# Hydrapak® 100 oz. Reversible Reservoir System Compatible (not included)
# Two External holsters for shovel handle, ice ax or probe
# External shovel blade pocket with venting bottom mesh
# CD/MP3 music pocket with cord port
# Orange lining to attract help in case of emergency
# Rugged scuff resistant bottom

I'm impressed with the quality and comfort. It is large enough to hold everything I've needed so far (first aid kit, water, food, extra clothing etc...)

If you have a long shovel handle or probe, they do stick up behind your head and I've caught a couple tree limbs with them. It's not a huge problem, just something I'm not used to yet.

The pack is short enough that it doesn't bother me sitting down or standing. (I'm 5'11') The straps have a large amount of adjustment for all sizes of people.

The shovel pocket will collect snow throughout the day, but it is easy to open up and clean out.

The pack has quite a few pockets that I haven't really found a good use for yet, but I'm sure many people would use them all. With the shovel I have, it's a little difficult to get some of the small pockets open.

The zippers seem to stay easy to use even when cold and iced up.

I'll try and get some more pictures when I have a chance.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
That is the pack shovel and probe system that we all use and they are excellent. Up to 87 days in the field with my first pack and it's still perfect! Great product from a great company! HMK all the way!

heinracing

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
mina sd
That is the pack shovel and probe system that we all use and they are excellent. Up to 87 days in the field with my first pack and it's still perfect! Great product from a great company! HMK all the way!

I second that.

PhantomCat

Phantom Goblin
Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2008
NW Montana
Have had my HMK pack for 4 years now. I am not the most delicate person on stuff,but I still take care of it. This pack is great. I have a lot of stuff packed in it and have not had one problem with the pack in quality nor comfort. It has a great range of motion for mountain riders to move and not feel constricted. Would recommend this pack to anyone :)

diggler

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Kalispell, MT
also believe pack is great, only downfall i have to say about it is that while riding in the trees last year shovel handle must have got caught on a limb somewhere and didnt notice it for about an hour when i needed it, really stunk needing a shovel to build a lip and no handle.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
also believe pack is great, only downfall i have to say about it is that while riding in the trees last year shovel handle must have got caught on a limb somewhere and didnt notice it for about an hour when i needed it, really stunk needing a shovel to build a lip and no handle.

Great pack , I also have one for KTM riding. And girlfriend has a Pink one.Pack that is!I also lost my handle in the trees and put a strap that hooks on the the handle,now it stay with me even if pulled out,There new boot is Real sweet, Had a chance to hold it in my hands and tested bone dry and light.

Last edited:

mc2stroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I'm probably not the easiest on items I own. MY HMK pack has held up OK, but 1 zipper failed and I broke the main plastic buckle last season. Plus the shovel always coming loose is a bit annoying. Maybe we need to due some more logging... :)

I give it an OK rating...

J

jbsleds

Feb 15, 2009
Idaho
Bought 4 this season

We bought 4 HMK packs w/ shovels and probes this year for my wife and I and family members. We're satisfied so far. Comfortable to wear, straps adjust easily, pack rides well, shovel is easy to get to when needed. Main compartment is large enough to carry first aid supplies plus everything I need to spend the night if necessary. Zippers working well. Only dislike so far is that the upper outside compartment is difficult to get to when the shovel is in place.
Sturdy construction, reasonable price. Would buy again.

NapaMatt

Matryx 850 Pow Slayer!
Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2009
Stewartville, MN
www.napaonline.com
i have had this pack for 3 years now..

Love it..

Only one bad thing i have found..

The shovel handle sticks up and hits tree limbs and such.. this putting the force on the bottom mounting point..

and it tore the stiching out on the inside.. Fixed it right up.. and a shoe fixing place.. Good as new now!!

Premium Features