• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Highmarking etiquette

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
There you are dozens of guys staring at the big climb and no one taking it on but everyone wants to see the big crash:face-icon-small-ton. So you give it a go and lay down a nice highmark. Than you get the ball rolling and more guys jumping in and it becomes fun. Just a couple pet peaves of mine. There is that guy that hits it and comes up short only to repeatedly keep turning back and not letting the next guy take a run at it.. Then there is that guy that poaches your line and still cant get the mark...:face-icon-small-coo Anyway I thought it was always a "unwritten" rule but I am going to WRITE it. Just my opionion..

• Always try to cut a new track when possible or cross over
  • Its nice to ask a guy if you can play along.. plus makes a good ice breaker for good conversation after.
  • an obvious one but **one guy on the hill at a time**
  • Win be humble, lose with humility
  • Make a run and let the next guy go

Everyone enjoys good fun...and be safe!

eyefish123

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2010
Northern Idaho
One thing I always try to do, depending on the hill of course, is go down the hill in a track to leave more powder for the climbs.

Totally agree. I try to get in my track as soon as possible after I turn out so I leave more untouched snow for the next trip up, whether it is me or someone else. After reading one of the previous posts maybe I should be in the old track going up since I am on a Polaris. Guess I need to be a better rider because it gets high enough for me.
face-icon-small-happy.gif

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Why not just put the high mark on the hill. Why all the rules. Next you guys will want to weigh everyone's sled before they go. If someone poaches a track, who cares. Doesn't get fun until the hill gets rutted up anyway. That's what separates the men from the boys.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
1. "safety" meeting must be conducted before first run up the hill
2. You have to finish the beer before you can start moving. It isn't cheating to poke a hole at the bottom to shot gun it. First to finish is first to climb it.

just kidding

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
One thing I always try to do, depending on the hill of course, is go down the hill in a track to leave more powder for the climbs.
Nope, not this guy. I have just as much fun going down as going up. Lots of powder drops and big carves to be had. Plus, I'll often turn back up the hill half way down. I don't often just go up and straight back down. That's not very exciting. Yeah, I'm a hill hog....

A

AMAX

Dec 22, 2014
With today's sleds , I thought everyone just went over the top anyway?

"Heys guys, mind if we join? Wow, looks like someone took a dangerous line back down through those rocks. Thats crazy. Hope he's ok"

"I'm pretty sure he's fine, he's the guy sitting in the snow up there at the top of that left mark with no sled. I think he's on the phone with insurance company"

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
With today's sleds , I thought everyone just went over the top anyway?

"Heys guys, mind if we join? Wow, looks like someone took a dangerous line back down through those rocks. Thats crazy. Hope he's ok"

"I'm pretty sure he's fine, he's the guy sitting in the snow up there at the top of that left mark with no sled. I think he's on the phone with insurance company"

Sounds like you know our buddy Oberti!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Who still highmarks? I say cut a couple of nice sidehills all the way across and then park right in the middle of the hill with a ski hanging in the air and have a samich:) People who drink and ride are stupid:face-icon-small-sho

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Why not just put the high mark on the hill. Why all the rules. Next you guys will want to weigh everyone's sled before they go. If someone poaches a track, who cares. Doesn't get fun until the hill gets rutted up anyway. That's what separates the men from the boys.

Get some 3 to 5 foot holes to navigate up and down that's when you find out what you got

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
If you are leapfrogging as I call it where everyone runs the same track in an effort to finally make it over the top then trackpoaching is perfectly legal. As far as the guy who keeps turning around and hitting the hill simply jump in front of him and if he follows you can give him a friendly facefull of roost (good clean fun) no sense being overly courteous when on the mountain there is already to much of that politically correct overly courteous BS in the world already, don't need to carry it over to my playground. I had a riding buddy tell me the other day he considered me one of the "Top ten track poachers in the world", I am going to put that on the back of the enclosed trailer I buy someday.

Premium Features