• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

high idle problem

K

kyle28

Jun 26, 2012
Bigfork Montana
Im having a high idle problem on my 2004 rev it has rk tek drop ins, computer remap and porting. it stays in the 4k range and will only go down if i flip up the choke. this happens when the sled is cold and hot but mostly when its hot. i have tried ajusting the idle screw, cable, and turning the air/fuel skrew on each carb out half a turn to richen it up with no luck. also there is no air leaks :face-icon-small-fro any ideas on how to fix this?

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
Well if you're sure there are no vacuum leaks, richen up the pilot circuit. What size PJ you running? When did this problem appear? after any mods?

K

kyle28

Jun 26, 2012
Bigfork Montana
nope it was like this when i bought it and im not sure what pilot jet im running. how do you find out is there a number on it? should i get the next size up on the pilot or try another half a turn on the air/fuel skrew?

and ill try cleaning the dpm out friday. would that just be cheching the lines and cleaning out the black tube thing?

sorry for all the questions just want to figure this out

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
The stock pilot jet is 17.5 & will be stamped on the side of the pilot jet. I would check with RK tec & see if changing it was required for his modifications. I would also make sure it's not plugged, you should be able to see through it. If you can't see through it, spray some carb cleaner through it until it's clear. Also spray carb cleaner up through the hole where the pilot jet goes & make sure it sprays through the two small holes into the carburator bore.

K

kyle28

Jun 26, 2012
Bigfork Montana
ok so still no luck! ive cleaned carbs,jets,dpm,lines, ect, ive checked the carb slides and al is good there. i also turned the air/fuel screws out another half turn with no luck. there is no air leaks anywhere or anything. what else could this be?

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
ok just talked to rk-tek and they sayed to put in some 20 pilet jets and that will solve my problem

20 pilots, 2 turns out on fuel screws. Trust me on this one. Also make CERTAIN that you are using the leaner main jets that Kelsey recommends for your altitude with his kit.

Have FUN!

G MAN

B

BackCountryBob

Aug 7, 2001
Arvada, Colorado
kyle28--good work--it's great to see a 14 yr. old get into the inner workings of your sled including coming to this 4M and asking for advice. Your REV will become a special hobby that will give you years of satisfaction and accomplishment.

BCB

K

kyle28

Jun 26, 2012
Bigfork Montana
Gman-I have 340 mains in there right now and that seems all good. runs perfect in all rpm range (except for idleing) and plugs look just right after a long pull.

BCB-Thank you! snowmobiling is my life! idk what i would do with out it. and it certanly is a hobby, I have had a rev down to the frame and rebuilt the engine and I restored my old 2001 by my self this summer. I had that one all the way apart and rebuilt that enging also. plans for next summer are making a carbonfiber/tube frame for my rev just like the ones in "the new tubie"

thanks for the help!

D
Dec 11, 2008
Livingston MT
340 mains?!? woah, thats way lean. im running 370s and i tried 360s and it seemed after long wot pulls it was fighting for fuel, put the 370s back in and seemed to pull better. that seems lean.

K

kyle28

Jun 26, 2012
Bigfork Montana
hmmmm im in arizona right now so when i get back ill put the 20 pilets in and might expariment a little with the mains. after a long pull the plugs sure dont look to lean or to rich they look just right. and it sure doesnt seen like its fighting for fuel?!?!
and Danzick what are you running a stock 800ho or rk-tek drop-ins and porting like me?

S

Sawking

Dec 21, 2008
We had a 06 in are group with 1300 miles on it. It ran perfect except high idle would have to choke to get idle down, made it 40 miles locked up tighter than ****. Either cranks seal or carb boots. Good luck

Premium Features