• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help with motor

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
So my wife ran her 488 last weekend and sled ran great. Started fine and no issues. Started today and it made a sound that obviously wasn't there last weekend. As soon as it started motor revved really high and made a funny sound like a exhaust leak? Didn't want to stay running. First thing I did was compression test which was showing way low at 75lbs each cylinder. I'm going to tear down tomorrow because obviously something is wrong but why would it make the sound? Could it be a gasket failure somewhere?

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
I understand the engine rev up but what about the sound? Crank seal was my first thought as well. I need to do a leak down test before I tear down.

J
Jan 2, 2016
Spray starting fluid by clutch while it's running. NOT A LOT. just a tiny puff. If the seal is bad it will rev up. My little brother will spray it in the timing hole of the recoil housing too but i don't have the stones for that. My luck the stator would spark and burn a bunch of wiring. But that is a sure way to test crank seal.

westsledin

Lifetime Membership
Nov 23, 2008
I think I have a gasket kit if you need one....PM me. I am in Portland area too.

Premium Features