• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help with code ECU 16 ??

A
Oct 15, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska
Hang with me. I live in Fairbanks, AK - it's cold here :).

So last weekend I took my 2009 M8 SP out for MY my first real ride with the machine (bought it this fall - 1,000 miles). It ran great - for a while. It was about 25 below zero and part of the time I was breaking trail in about 18" of powder. Naturally some snow got through the vents and into the engine compartment. So I shut the machine off for about 30 minutes and when I re-started it gave code ECU 16 and ran ****ty. I headed for home and fricken ran out of gas at 71 miles on the tank! I was not riding it hard and I should have had ample gas to make it home until it threw the code and then it starting sucking the fuel. I rode it over 20 miles in limp mode. I had to walk 12 miles at 25 below zero to get back to my truck - not fun!

I figured it was something frozen since it ran fine and then sat for 30 minutes at 25 below zero and then ran ****ty. Anyway, I retrieved the machine (pulled it home) and then thawed it out in a garage. Apparently ECU 16 means something is wrong with the APV valves, cables, or servo motor. I checked the cable length and both were within specs. I put 5 gal of gas in the tank and it fired up - code gone.

I rode it again today. Same thing, let it sit at 20 below zero for a half hour and it throws the same code. I turned off the machine, open hood, turned the nut on the end of servo motor by hand, start up machine and code gone runs great again. It did that twice today, both times after sitting for 20 or 30 minutes at 20 below zero. Clearly the dang thing is freezing up at these temps and throwing the code. On a side note, today I also rode 71 miles and only burned 7.1 gallons. So apparently the servo motor or cables are freezing up?

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas on how to fix it? Yeah, I know, don't ride when it's 20 below zero! That's most of the winter up here.

Thanks for any ideas.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
they need to be cleaned, or they're iced up.

Happens to me on cold snowy days, happened this AM. I either reach under & turn it by hand or just let it warm up.

btw, happens to me because I don't have headlights or vents in right now, so if I leave on sat & it's snowing, somehow they get sticky on sunday morning.

A
Oct 15, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska
Have you cleaned your valves?

It seems weird that the only time the valves would stick is in cold temps AFTER running through some powder snow. The machine started and ran fine first thing this morning at 20 below. Hmmm.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I was planning on cleaning them this week... but it's clearly icing somehow, rather than being because of oil residue... so not sure what else to do other than make a point of putting a cover on it when I leave, or running it an extra 10 min at the end of the day maybe? It's only happened to me a few times, but it's obvious what the combination of things are that cause it.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Are you running headlights? any reason snow would be getting into the engine compartment more than the average guy?

I just assumed it was because of my lack of lights (open holes right now).

A
Oct 15, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska
Yes, factory headlights on the machine. No mods to the hood. It has the factory frogskins on the front, lower most hood vents. I added a layer of petscreen to the mid-hood vents. Seems to be a decent amount of snow in the nose of the machine? Snow definitely comes in the vents nearest the base of the windshield. Our powder snow up here in interior AK is super dry and fine. Maybe I need to add frogskinz to ALL the vents?

Going riding tomorrow and it's suppose to be much warmer so we'll see if she freezes up in warmer temps.

Thanks

A
Oct 15, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska
I rode 80 miles today with no issues. Temps were much warmer at 5 to 20 above zero. It's clearly an icing issue at cold temps.

I'll clean inspect and clean the exhaust valves soon, although that's not the issue. Thanks

C
Feb 18, 2020

So last weekend I took my 2009 M8 SP out for MY my first real ride with the machine (bought it this fall - 1,000 miles). It ran great - for a while. It was about 25 below zero and part of the time I was breaking trail in about 18" of powder. Naturally some snow got through the vents and into the engine compartment. So I shut the machine off for about 30 minutes and when I re-started it gave code ECU 16 and ran ****ty. I headed for home and fricken ran out of gas at 71 miles on the tank! I was not riding it hard and I should have had ample gas to make it home until it threw the code and then it starting sucking the fuel. I rode it over 20 miles in limp mode. I had to walk 12 miles at 25 below zero to get back to my truck - not fun!

I figured it was something frozen since it ran fine and then sat for 30 minutes at 25 below zero and then ran ****ty. Anyway, I retrieved the machine (pulled it home) and then thawed it out in a garage. Apparently ECU 16 means something is wrong with the APV valves, cables, or servo motor. I checked the cable length and both were within specs. I put 5 gal of gas in the tank and it fired up - code gone.

I rode it again today. Same thing, let it sit at 20 below zero for a half hour and it throws the same code. I turned off the machine, open hood, turned the nut on the end of servo motor by hand, start up machine and code gone runs great again. It did that twice today, both times after sitting for 20 or 30 minutes at 20 below zero. Clearly the dang thing is freezing up at these temps and throwing the code. On a side note, today I also rode 71 miles and only burned 7.1 gallons. So apparently the servo motor or cables are freezing up?

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas on how to fix it? Yeah, I know,

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas on how to fix it? Yeah, I know, don't ride when it's 20 below zero! That's most of the winter up here.

Thanks for any ideas.
hi I’m having the exact same problem when I leave it in the shop over night it runs amazing the next day but when I leave my sled out side over night I get these codes and my fuel gage can’t make up it’s mine it going down to nothing and if I shut it of and start it up it jumps up to three bars ..... I also noticed it was happening yesterday when I took it throw some trails with quite a bit of powder and the same code came on ECU 16

Premium Features