• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help with choosing a bike for dual use

E
Aug 28, 2017
Looking for help on choosing a dirt bike. I'm looking to sell my sled and get into snowbiking, I also would like to use the bike in the desert and on the dunes in the summer. Everyone seems to like the Yamaha YZ450FX for a snowbike. What about the Honda CRF450RX? The other bike that I'm interested in is the KTM 450 SX F. I weigh about 170, am about 5'8", any reason one of these bikes should be considered over the rest? One thing I will mention is that the Yamaha dealer here in town is terrible.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
I have the fx. Buddy has rx. Both 120's. Pretty similar power while riding hills and powder. On the trail fx will walk away from rx, probably related to gearing. Fx seems to have better stator. FWIW.

B
Even just going by the poll on this site, most have a Yamaha 450 and most all the race snowbikes at the X-Games were Yamaha's.

What would turn me away from the Honda would be that it still uses a carburetor.

Of those three I'd go with the Yamaha.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
for dual purpose duties, you may want to stay away from the mx/sx bikes (like the sx ktm you listed) due to shorter gear ratios, and 5 speeds trans)

most dual sport cross country purpose bikes have wide ratio trans, and have 6 speed boxes. once you swap over and re valve for snow/dirt a few times, you will get tired of it, and get out of one or the other, and or buy a purpose built bike for snow, and one for dirt. it is just inevitable.

I am doing just that right now (searching for the second bike for dirt/woods, trail, dual sporting). ktm xc-f 350, 450 on my short list, with the beta 390RR, husky fx350, and Yamaha fx450. I wished Yamaha would have put the new platform stuff from the 18 yz-f, into the fx platform too. would be a no brainer, for me. ski

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Even just going by the poll on this site, most have a Yamaha 450 and most all the race snowbikes at the X-Games were Yamaha's.

What would turn me away from the Honda would be that it still uses a carburetor.

Of those three I'd go with the Yamaha.

Fyi the crf450RX named above is fuel injected.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Looking for help on choosing a dirt bike. I'm looking to sell my sled and get into snowbiking, I also would like to use the bike in the desert and on the dunes in the summer. Everyone seems to like the Yamaha YZ450FX for a snowbike. What about the Honda CRF450RX? The other bike that I'm interested in is the KTM 450 SX F. I weigh about 170, am about 5'8", any reason one of these bikes should be considered over the rest? One thing I will mention is that the Yamaha dealer here in town is terrible.

Where you located? I grew up in baker city and know there is a group of snowbikers there.

E
Aug 28, 2017
I live in the Ontario area, actually spend allot of time up in Sumpter above Baker city. I would love to meet some other snowbikers!

E
Aug 28, 2017
Fyi the crf450RX named above is fuel injected.

Correct, infact its pretty much a crf450r with a bigger fuel tank and a kickstand. It shares the same cr tranny with the R. I assume its the airbox location that makes it a less desirable snowbike. I thought the yamaha and honda were pretty equal on hp/torque for MY18

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
i think one of them is on an rx. Let me know when you get setup and ill get you the contact info. I don’t make it home too often but i was thinking of trying to hit closing weekend at anthony lakes. Ski closing day (and party) then ride the resort on the bike the next day. Hopefully the snow spigot turns on there soon.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
From what we've seen so far...the KTM's adapt better to cold weather use than the CRF450RX. We're running a 2018 CRF450RX with an ARO 137 and it works very well - but the bike is harder to keep warm (over fuels) and finickier to start than the comparable KTM's we've run in years past. Also, the hydraulic clutch in the KTM is butter, and the bike makes the most power, has a clear fuel tank in the XC-F model, it's easy to install a cheap thermostat from the EXC model, yada yada. Can't really compare the bikes in the summer....I'm a single track rider and frankly any 450 is waaay too much for the tighter trails. Safe to safe any modern fuely 450 is fast as hell with tires on it. KTM brakes and clutches always feel the nicest to me, suspension is really subjective.

The comparable KTM to the RX would be the 450XC-F ... as the SX-F is the full motocrosser. In your situation, I would look at the 450XC-F or 350XC-F. Can't really comment on the Yamahas....no one really rides them around here.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
I'd probably go KTM/Husky for the 6 speed, or Honda for their air forks. Supposedly the Honda air forks work on snow? If so, might be the easiest/ cheapest for swapping. Air up for snow, back down for dirt.

If your desert is flat and fast, 5 speed might be ok. When i'm geared low for mountain single track, 6 speed sure is nice for the gravel roads.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I'd probably go KTM/Husky for the 6 speed, or Honda for their air forks. Supposedly the Honda air forks work on snow? If so, might be the easiest/ cheapest for swapping. Air up for snow, back down for dirt.

If your desert is flat and fast, 5 speed might be ok. When i'm geared low for mountain single track, 6 speed sure is nice for the gravel roads.

Honda actually went away from air forks for 17/18.

E
Aug 28, 2017
From what we've seen so far...the KTM's adapt better to cold weather use than the CRF450RX. We're running a 2018 CRF450RX with an ARO 137 and it works very well - but the bike is harder to keep warm (over fuels) and finickier to start than the comparable KTM's we've run in years past. Also, the hydraulic clutch in the KTM is butter, and the bike makes the most power, has a clear fuel tank in the XC-F model, it's easy to install a cheap thermostat from the EXC model, yada yada. Can't really compare the bikes in the summer....I'm a single track rider and frankly any 450 is waaay too much for the tighter trails. Safe to safe any modern fuely 450 is fast as hell with tires on it. KTM brakes and clutches always feel the nicest to me, suspension is really subjective.

The comparable KTM to the RX would be the 450XC-F ... as the SX-F is the full motocrosser. In your situation, I would look at the 450XC-F or 350XC-F. Can't really comment on the Yamahas....no one really rides them around here.

I've heard the Hondas are the worst for getting gas in the oil.

E
Aug 28, 2017
The more people I talk to about it the more the YZ450FX is suggested. It does really sound like it's one of the best options. The other place I would be riding would be the sand, I'm assuming that the little wider transmission ratio would be better in the sand than the cr ratio. I'm going to go look at the Yamaha in a couple days, that dealer also carries camso.....bonus! Haha

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
how come people are recommending ktm 350s?!? 450 minimum...come on guys. we need all the power we can get. even my big bore 520 isnt enough sometimes... and were getting 350 recommendations?! why???

also, whats with the WR and EXC recommendations? ive been told you want to avoid wide ratio, offroad, 6 speed transmissions. you want the bottom end, grunty SXF transmissions.

ive been racing dirtbikes competitively for 15 years. KTM is a way higher quality than yamaha. brakes, clutch, suspension, overall quality. honda 4 strokes left a sour taste in my mouth. I dont trust them and their TI intake valves.

ktm sxf is where its at for snowbikes. the electrical is a tad weak, but thats an easy upgrade.

the offroad KTMs (EXC, XCW) really shine with their 18" rear wheel, larger tanks, no linkage rear shocks, headlight, and 6 speed wide ratio trannies. when buying a snowbike, only 2 of those things benefit us (larger tank and light). youre paying extra for better parts in the rear and and not even using them. better off getting the SXF version, and adding a LED light and larger tank yourself. win win.

Last edited:
B
The only reason why some are suggesting a 350cc is that the OP has to ride the bike on the dirt/sand, and we all know that not all of us are SuperMuchacho-enough to handle a 450cc bike in tight trails, no sir-ee. I can see the reasoning behind it.

Not everyone is riding at altitude or needing to climb where the baddest snowmobiles go, and some don't feel the need to hump-azz at the fastest speed that they can go to have a good time, instead, would be happy loping along, just chugging through the snow and in between the trees, happy as a clam.

When I was shopping for a dual sport, I thought I'd be happy with a CRF250L. Then thought about a WR250R, then came to my senses and realized I needed a 500cc dual sport.

Last edited:
C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
I see your point I guess. if hes a sand rider, he probably doesnt ride much tight, technical, rocky single track though. so a 450 might be his best choice.

im curious as to what background snowbikers come from. are you guys mostly ex sledders or hard core dirtbikers all summer or what? ive ridden bikes, and only bikes my wholeeeee life. sleds seem like the quads of the winter. ew.

its kind of... you either got a beast snowbike, and an average dirtbike, or vice versa. I got two dedicated machines, and theyre polar opposites. what you want and what works in the winter is way different than the summer. big bore 4 stroke vs a little 2 stroke.

E
Aug 28, 2017
how come people are recommending ktm 350s?!? 450 minimum...come on guys. we need all the power we can get. even my big bore 520 isnt enough sometimes... and were getting 350 recommendations?! why???

also, whats with the WR and EXC recommendations? ive been told you want to avoid wide ratio, offroad, 6 speed transmissions. you want the bottom end, grunty SXF transmissions.

ive been racing dirtbikes competitively for 15 years. KTM is a way higher quality than yamaha. brakes, clutch, suspension, overall quality. honda 4 strokes left a sour taste in my mouth. I dont trust them and their TI intake valves.

ktm sxf is where its at for snowbikes. the electrical is a tad weak, but thats an easy upgrade.

the offroad KTMs (EXC, XCW) really shine with their 18" rear wheel, larger tanks, no linkage rear shocks, headlight, and 6 speed wide ratio trannies. when buying a snowbike, only 2 of those things benefit us (larger tank and light). youre paying extra for better parts in the rear and and not even using them. better off getting the SXF version, and adding a LED light and larger tank yourself. win win.

I do know a guy that rides a ktm 350 for a snowbike, hes a big guy too and says it hauls him around pretty good. That being said his next one will be a 450. As far as the ktm's go wouldn't the 450 xc-f be the best choice? If a guy did go ktm is the airbox a big deal to make work in the snow?

I'm not going to be riding this bike in the woods, summer use would be fairly open desert and sand.

As far as my riding background goes I started riding when i was 4. Honda 70 3 wheeler death machine.....haha. Survived that, but really I've ridden everything from dirtbikes to two stroke race quads to utility quads. As far as snow goes I'm relativly new, I currently ride a 163 Axys. I'm not very good at it, the snowbikes just look more enjoyable and easy to ride than a snowmobile.

Premium Features