• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help with basket case rmk 900

S
Oct 19, 2021
Salt lake utah
Brand new here, been reading for days, learned a ton and now just looking for some general advice on this basket case. Last year my brother bought his first sled and fell in love. Since he was hooked I saw it as an excuse to buy a timbersled for my dirt bike and wow did I fall in love! I will have a snow bike the rest of my life! Before last year I had never played in snow on anything. I did have fun in a sled though. Anyways tail end of the season I was given 2 rmk 900’s for free, one even had a title! But wow we’re they rough. Dropped the crank off to get rebuilt and that wasn’t finished until the snow melted, so it sat all summer on the side. Well I’m back at it, wanna get this sled running for this season because between my roommate, other brother and dad there’s always someone wanting to come and the more the merrier. So this is more just a back up, buddy sled. So as it sits the engine is all new, had the crank rebuilt, new pistons and gaskets, I’m just waiting for my last cylinder to show up in the mail. What sucks is that stuff was bought, feels like a year ago, like 95% sure I bought spi pistons, and now I’ve been reading all the horror stories about the spi pistons.. idk I might try them for this season at least. Both sleds looked like they were crashed into a tree with the front ends smashed. I was able to source a metal bumper, forget which brand though and between the 2 I think there was enough plastic to rebuild a functional front end. I did buy a new hinge for the hood as well, just need to install that still.
Neither came with an intake, one sled had 2 silicone pipes off the throttle bodies with cheap motorcycle pod filters on the end, so probably wanna find some kind of proper intake. It has an SLP pipe and can and a nice camoplast big meaty track, the other parts sled looks like it has the oem track and it doesn’t look meaty as aggressive. Suspension is weird, it has one walker evans up front and a ride fx on the other side. I think the parts sled has one ride fx shock up front though too that I can take. It’s also missing where on the track, I’m guessing to put the ice scratchers on? The other sled still has those wheels I can take though. And then clutches, well they’re there, but I don’t know a thing about anything about sled clutches. Over the next few days I’ll get it put up in the garage and really cleaned up so it starts to resemble something decent. What would some of y’all do just to make this a good reliable sled?
It seems like getting the clutch balanced is crucial, is there anywhere along the wasatch mountains that does that?
The motor mounts on this don’t have any logos or anything but they look like they’re billet aluminum, is that the oem motor mount or have they been upgraded? This is a 2006 I’m pretty sure, so do they really even need to be upgraded if they haven’t been yet? This is a whole new game for me, I’m a bike guy through and through

9CE6A033-A80D-4E4B-BA84-EB7676CEB5FA.jpeg 73301133-9B36-4607-9D20-3B11C4A74592.jpeg 1BEB5200-C9ED-4627-970C-DC7478728639.jpeg 4BC0CA00-4398-46BC-8551-5ACD3CEF47DC.jpeg 2ED93357-8561-4BC4-AF14-FB3B29A8FA88.jpeg EA7E18F2-7243-4AD5-A4A6-E61CB3BA49AF.jpeg

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
It actually looks like you do have an intake....Fire N Ice.... laying next to the sled in the 4th photo.

With the relative low value of the sled.... (I've had my share).... I'd run what you have.... and make sure you add some premix to the fuel in the tank.

The best motor mounts, IMO, are the factory 2006 mounts.... and, If they are used parts, you have to check them well for any rubber tearing by prying them side to side while locked in a vice.... bad mounts look good till you do this.

Brokenmount.jpg

Mandatory is the 3211115 belt as it is about the only one that holds up... and good basic clutch setup which is posted all over the place here).

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
And just go through this post with it's links...

The oil cable to the pump from the throttle body is important as are many other DIY steps that can keep this sled on the snow and reliable.

S
Oct 19, 2021
Salt lake utah
And just go through this post with it's links...

The oil cable to the pump from the throttle body is important as are many other DIY steps that can keep this sled on the snow and reliable.

Yup I’ve read through a good chunck of those. Was a long weekend with lots of other projects on the block, but I was finally able to pull the sleds out and start looking them. And yes! That is a fire n ice intake, well part of it, didn’t know what that was till reading through the forums, but all I have is the belt cover, and then that big long intake I believe sits over the belt. But nothing to connect that intake the throttle bodies. The parts sled also turned out to have a decent skid plate on it and has lots of vents too. So that good which was in better shape anyways with the vents is getting used. The parts one also has vents behind the a arms I might move over because part of the plastic is broken on it. Also the steering/pillow ball joints on the parts sleds are super solid, the other one, and like every other sled I’ve seen has a lot of play in the steering, so I’ll move all that over too. I was ready to start putting this together to be ready and I totally messed up cuz I’m not super familiar with these. Got the engine all put together, went to install the fuel injectors and noticed my new cylinder didn’t have a port for the fuel injector… so now more waiting for the right part

7938A9B8-E53D-4BFC-B7EA-D1DB82AC0904.jpeg D14CE7DB-454F-4C3E-BA3A-84CC50B7849A.jpeg F2688AD5-AABC-4485-AEE4-11BC91798AC0.jpeg

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
You did not state the mileage but the drive axle bearings are usually shot if the sled has over 2500 miles, regardless of whether those bearings were greased. Same with the rear idler bearings.

Premium Features