• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help putting together Mod sled!

S
Dec 24, 2009
Northern Minnesota
Ok so I have an 02 MC 800 144". Blew it up 2yrs ago, but slowly been building it back up. So far i got an 04 kk bulkhead/tunnel 162, and a 05 M7 162 skid. What im asking is for help on building it light, and getting the best performance out of it. So who can help me????

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Find the front end off a 05 or 06 KingKat, lightweight and the ZeroPro's with Ti springs are within ounces of the Floats from 06. Buy a lightweight bushng kit from your Cat dealer, under $100.
Chaincase will work, it's just rolled back from where yours sat.
CR Racing tunnel extension saves a lb or two, keeps the rear end from dragging in the snow, and looks PIMP.
Gut the hood or buy a aftermarket one from BR tech/MountainFit etc.
Piaa lights get rid of the stock headlight and saves a few lbs. Piaa's for sledding apps are usually in the $200 for 2 brand new.
Forward mounted post and a higher seat are almost necessities.
SLP for intake mod to the airbox, SLP for the exhaust(single) get the front dump exhaust and buy a new side panel with the hole there, keeps the look clean and factory like.
Take the clutches to a machine shop, all apart, sheaves and spyder apart etc......get them to blance them, then put them back together and get them to static balance them again. Buy a gram scale to .01 and balance every removable piece that bolts into your clutch.
Jackshaft and driveshaft should get new bearings, hyvo chain and gears(gear it down btw)
Mount the electrical low in the bulkhead, in the channels in the bulkhead is where I have everything mounted.
There's lots that can be cleaned up and moved and remounted if you spend enough time looking at it all!
Good luck and post up pics of your progress!

S
Dec 24, 2009
Northern Minnesota
Thanks a ton! Im going to get the bdx bumper kit. Ive been looking at D&D for a complete exhaust system. And reeds. Not sure whos is best, Rage cage, or V force... After i do the air box mod, add a complete exhaust system and reeds, what do you think i would be putting out for hp on my 800?

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Boyesen RAD Valves are the way to go. I felt D&D pipes were too thin and didn't take abuse as well as a soild single from SLP(others may want to chime in as I've always run either Jaws, CPI, or SLP.)
I would strongly suggest looking at a aftermarket head for your unit as well. Not only does the mono head give the rigidity factor, but often more cooling and of course some compression to bring the HP #'s up a bit.
To be honest, not a fiddlers clue what it is supposed to make for power.

S
Dec 24, 2009
Northern Minnesota
I tried calling my local AC dealer for the lightweight bushing, no dice. They just tell me to go to BDX for $400. Is there something i should be asking for specifically? Is there anything i can cut off, or not put on the new skid to lighten it up more? Prob next yr I will add floats front & rear. I thought about blocking off vents cut open in air plenum by clutch. Sealing all holes so its pure cold air, and pre vents on outside, as well as side vents in side bellys... Am i on the right track? Can i just put my steering post on the other side of upright, or will that wack everything up? And lastnight i found 2 lil vertical cracks in my rails, directly accross from eachother, about 1/8 inch.... can i have this welded? i will try and post pics. Thanks

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I tried calling my local AC dealer for the lightweight bushing, no dice. They just tell me to go to BDX for $400. Is there something i should be asking for specifically? Is there anything i can cut off, or not put on the new skid to lighten it up more? Prob next yr I will add floats front & rear. I thought about blocking off vents cut open in air plenum by clutch. Sealing all holes so its pure cold air, and pre vents on outside, as well as side vents in side bellys... Am i on the right track? Can i just put my steering post on the other side of upright, or will that wack everything up? And lastnight i found 2 lil vertical cracks in my rails, directly accross from eachother, about 1/8 inch.... can i have this welded? i will try and post pics. Thanks

Mine had both the 1M and M-Series ones earlier this season. Otherwise CR Racing has them for less than BDX.

You are definately on the right track, plugging all intake holes from warm air is a for sure, venting heat out of the engine bay is a big one, can't force air in if there's nowhere for the hot air to get out.

Steering post can be moved forward, only issue will be with carb/injector clearance. Wildchild or CR Racing makes a forward mounted offset steering post. My CR post was a plug and play set-up, no cutting, grinding, filing, simple bolt in.
As for the rails, they can be welded, I'd weld a plate or brace over them as well. But that's me, most people can get away with just a weld.

When I have some more time we can talk some more about the odds and ends that you'll come across.

Premium Features