• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help needed : M8000 Cat roller primary question

M
Apr 5, 2015
Michigan
Anyone one what exactly this .116” shim does in the M8000? I upgraded my 2016 to the new roller clutch and mine don’t have it. Wondering if it’s worth adding or not? Looking for feedback in what it actually does.

I ride the UP of Michigan if that matters.

39B32253-CA89-4B9A-A902-9F2158EABA8D.jpeg

C
Sep 19, 2010
That is a shim to move the spider out and allows the weight to untuck sooner.

The clutch you got without the shim was used on the low elevation sleds like ZR and XF’s with 8000 engine.

It’s what you will want. You can just throw in you old weights and spring and will work fine. If you have the shim the you will need a different spring for sure. The engagement will be way too low for the old 800 engine.

M
Apr 5, 2015
Michigan
That is a shim to move the spider out and allows the weight to untuck sooner.

The clutch you got without the shim was used on the low elevation sleds like ZR and XF’s with 8000 engine.

It’s what you will want. You can just throw in you old weights and spring and will work fine. If you have the shim the you will need a different spring for sure. The engagement will be way too low for the old 800 engine.

Thank you for the feedback. Besides needing a new spring, is there any disadvantages to not having the shim? I can get the engagement up to around 3800 if needed. Looking to run MDS weights and without the shim Steve’s weights won’t work apparently.

C
Sep 19, 2010
Thank you for the feedback. Besides needing a new spring, is there any disadvantages to not having the shim? I can get the engagement up to around 3800 if needed. Looking to run MDS weights and without the shim Steve’s weights won’t work apparently.
Correct to run Steve’s weights for the 18 and up mountain sleds you would need the shim.
Give Steve a call. He does have weights for the 16/17 sleds that would fit. He would Also know if the profile of the weight would work for how you ride.
The 2020 clutch uses a different thiner shim I believe as well. Something to consider if you are going to put it in.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I got one without the shim and tried to run it with the MDS weights. First time I fired the sled up it took off across the garage on it's own. Different clutch with the shim it works fine.

B
Thinking I'm going to get mine though racin station. looks like they sell balanced clutches and can setup how you need. I'm assuming they have the shims in the clutch since they will install mds wieghts. Which I plan on doing this summer. I plan on getting the 17 upgrade kit with alignment bar and shims no wieghts or spring.

B
Looks like 540 from racin station I believe that is balanced but not sure. I got the update kit for a 17 for 715 and it is balanced and comes with new belt alignment bar and shims. 699 through bdx no alignment bar and not sure if it's balanced.

Premium Features