• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help from the Edge Crew

T
Nov 12, 2015
I posted this message in the general Polaris forum and didn't get any responses . . . so I was hoping I might get more feedback from the Edge group . . .

Greetings all,

First timer looking to get some advice and direction.

My dad has a 2005 Edge Grand Touring with a 550 and very low miles.

The engine lost a cylinder, which we had repaired . . . and then only a few hours after the rebuild, the engine seized up.

My dad wants to fix it because a two-up trail machine is what works for his needs and it is in great condition (except for the engine). I understand that the 550 fans of this era were problematic for a lot of people . . . so I am hesitant to have him spend a lot of money on an engine that may not last for him.

My questions are. . .

1) Are there other engines that could essentially "bolt in" without a lot of modifications, but would be more reliable or provide greater longevity?

and

2) Can anyone recommend a good Polaris mechanic or shop in the Salt Lake/Davis County area? Quality work at reasonable prices . . .

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Thrillatheride

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
There has to be a underlying issue. Guess I am not a 550 expert, but I thought they were pretty bullet proof. You see a lot of them with a pile of miles.

The 5 & 600's run forever and for the most part bolt right. Shop, no idea.

W
Mar 12, 2008
You are going to be stuck with a fan cooled engine. Any of them should bolt in fairly easily. You could convert to liquid, but it would not be worth you time and money to just move on to a new sled.

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
I agree with WIPolaris. Without the heat exchangers built in it's a ton of work to go to a 500 or 600 Liberty.

There used to be some pretty extensive postings outlining some issues with the 550 fan. I have a 2002 Edge SS with the 550 fan. Haven't had any issues with it.

If you go to an older engine you will have to see if you can still use your stator and flywheel to retain PERC.

Premium Features