• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help burn down one side

J
Aug 10, 2010
Hello i have a 2000 polaris 800 RMK it got hot on me on the way out last year and melted down. I spent all summer putting a brand new top end and ice scratchers everything to help prevent this again. But it melted down in one tank of gas and the same side as before. Thought maybe i screwed up replaced and it did it again. I am hoping for some hints on what i am doing wrong or need to check. thanks.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Which side? Possibly a pluged oil line or air bubbles in oil line? I always premix the first tank of gas when I rebuild an engine, gives you time to get any air bubbles out of oil lines and make sure the oil pump is working. What do the pistons look like?

Z
Jan 19, 2008
Wrangell, AK
Kinda hard to guess without a pic of the piston, but I would venture a lean conditiion- either an air-leak or a lean carb.

Inspect very carfully the carb boot and gaskets on that side, along with the crank seal. PTO crank seal may require pulling of primary clutch to inspect, MAG seal will require removal of recoil assy, and removal of flywheel and stator.

Go through the carbs very carefully, completely dis-assembling them, looking for any obvious blockage/debri. Blow out every passage with compressed air before reassembly. Check float levels. Inspect fuel lines for cracks/leaks, along with fuel pump pulse line. You may wanna take apart fuel pump and make sure that there is no crud partially plugging the outlet to the fuel line feeding the carb on the burned-down side. (I've seen stranger things happen!)

Like Jay said, EVERY time you are into the motor, run pre-mix in the gas. It is a cheap insurance policy against a no-oil burn down, and will help break in the motor. Once you are satisfied that you are showing oil usage (mark your oil bottle level, and monitor it for a couple hours of riding to see if the level drops), usually after two or three tanks of fuel, you can then rely on oil injection alone. This got me thinking- You might want to remove the oil line near the carb on the burned-down side, and make sure that it flows freely. Check the check-valve on that line as well, and make sure it is not stuck. I would think that of the two lines that feed each cylinder, if the one near the carb is plugged, it would more likely cause a lack-of-oil siezure of that piston.

Sometimes, if you are not knowledgeable... it may be as simple as finding somebody with enough experience to look at your sled, and go "Hey! look at this....." to find your problem. I've done it for guys over and over again. I know you are reaching out by asking us on the 4m, but it is much easier sometimes to find and pinpoint a problem in person. Don't be afraid to find someone and ask for help.

Post pics of the piston if you can. I'm curious.

montanagrizzly

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2010
Polson, MT
Was it the PTO side. common on those. were you running 87 oct or 92. should be 92. wheres it jetted at and are you running twin pipes or a single. lots of variables and very expensive. dont run it till you figure out what is wrong with it or you will burn her down again.

Premium Features