• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HELP! 2016 m8000. Broke steering post in back country.

Z
Jan 5, 2019
I broke my upper steering post on my 16 m8000. Had to leave it at the bottom of a bowl because it was too steep to tow out. I ordered the parts to fix it and will be returning this next weekend to fix it and ride it out. I’m just wondering how hard it is to change it and if there is any advice for me because this will be my first time changing it. I am trying to prepare myself as best as possible because it is a 3 hr drive from home and it’s an hour sled ride into the back country with no service so I do not want to forget anything! Thanks ?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Isn't the upper post part of the whole pyramid structure cap?
I would practice on a buddies sled before i tried to wing it, up on the mountain.

Sent it

Z
Jan 5, 2019
Unfortunately I don’t have that option as none of my buddy’s have a sno pro. My sled is sitting on the mountain broken down and my only options are to spend $2500 to get choppered out or to fix it and ride it out.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Bring a spring puller. It's way easier with the pipe out of the way. Bring a small flathead screwdriver too. There's a little c-clip on the bushing that holds it together that black cap thing on top of the pyramid. Needle nose pliers/vice grips too.

Z
Jan 5, 2019
Bring a spring puller. It's way easier with the pipe out of the way. Bring a small flathead screwdriver too. There's a little c-clip on the bushing that holds it together that black cap thing on top of the pyramid. Needle nose pliers/vice grips too.

Sweet thanks! I will make sure to bring those items. is it possible to change the shaft without taking the ‘pyramid assembly’ completely off.?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
here's a decent video of everything you need to take apart

You MIGHT be able to leave the cap on.

Maybe

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
This is one piece, only way to take the post out is to remove the welds and then u would need to reweld a new one in.
2dba510eaf25c3372509bba1aa5e4454.jpg

Sent it

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Ur gonna need to remove handle from the pull cord, the hood, the exhaust pipe.
U will need torx t-30 and t-40 to remove the upper tierod and cowling. 10mm, 13mm for the pyramid and upper tierod. Maybe a 15 also?
Not sure if u gotta remove the shroud around the gas cap? If so, bring some large channel locks.

Sent it

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Yes, u must remove the shroud from the gas tank filler neck to get to the rear spar bolts.
U have 2 bolts going to the front 2 spars(front cross member), 2 bolts going to the 2 side spars(behind the clutch and oil tank), 2 bolts going to the rear spars(along gas tank and seat)

Sent it

Z
Jan 5, 2019
Yes, u must remove the shroud from the gas tank filler neck to get to the rear spar bolts.
U have 2 bolts going to the front 2 spars(front cross member), 2 bolts going to the 2 side spars(behind the clutch and oil tank), 2 bolts going to the rear spars(along gas tank and seat)

Sent it
how do I remove the shroud? Is it fairly straight forward? I couldn’t see anything on YouTube.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Its been quite a few yrs since i removed the shroud to install the tether. I remember it being a pain in the arse.
U need to access the bolts where the blue circles are.

Remove side panels and hood.
Remove the 2 screw in red circles. I think there are more under the hood plastic?
Remove gas cap and giant nut below it(thats what the large channel locks are for). Remove handle from pull rope. Carefully run the rope down through the steering post support, Don't let the rope go back into the starter...!

20200305_210408.jpg
Remove the front/lower steer post support bracket(mine is aftermarket) from the upper post support.remove the 2 10mm bolts from the front 2 spars.
Remove the tierod (t40 /13mm) from under the support not the end u see in the pic.

20200305_210539.jpg
Here is the bottom of the upper steering post. This is why u need pliers(cotter pin) and the reason for removing the pipe. Not sure if that's a 13,14 or 15mm?

20200305_210315.jpg

I didn't take my sled apart far enough to take pics of the 2 side spar bolts but they are self explanatory .

Sorry it took so long but it takes time to upload pics .
I didn't cover evey step but enough to give u a good idea of the task at hand.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Its been quite a few yrs since i removed the shroud to install the tether. I remember it being a pain in the arse.

Remove the 2 screw in red circles. I think there are more under the hood plastic?
Remove gas cap and giant nut below it(thats what the large channel locks are for). Remove handle from pull rope. Carefully run the rope down through the steering post support, Don't let the rope go back into the starter...!

View attachment 341939
Remove the front/lower steer post support bracket(mine is aftermarket) from the upper post support.remove the 2 10mm bolts from the front 2 spars.
Remove the tierod (t40 /13mm) from under the support not the end u see in the pic.

View attachment 341940
Here is the bottom of the upper steering post. This is why u need pliers(cotter pin) and the reason for removing the pipe. Not sure if that's a 13,14 or 15mm?

View attachment 341941

I didn't take my sled apart far enough to take pics of the 2 side spar bolts but they are self explanatory .

That is so cool. You took the time to draw and post pics to help a feller out. Good on you. 3 karma points for you!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
That is so cool. You took the time to draw and post pics to help a feller out. Good on you. 3 karma points for you!
That's why i am on Snowest and not faceyspace.. i enjoy being able to help when i can. And people are generally a lot nicer here.

Sent it

Z
Jan 5, 2019

View attachment 341939

View attachment 341940

View attachment 341941

Z
Jan 5, 2019
Hey thanks man that helps me out big time. I’m confident I’ll get it done. Sounds like it’s gonna take a bit of time and patience tho but that’s ok I will have a few extra hands to help me out and a full day to do it. Thanks a lot for helping me out I appreciate it.

E
Feb 22, 2009
Do you have an aftermarket riser? If not just grab a CFR riser and attach one end horizontally to the broken post and stick the other half of the riser into the other riser and mount to the bars, ride it out. Change the post in a nice dry warm shop. Good luck

006e4f11a9080b49d929011a82a60ae1.plist
425cd2f7c1b977ca85547f6f348a1689.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
^I'm not sure which pic looks scarier

Last edited:
Premium Features