• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hello from SE Idaho!

M
Jan 13, 2013
Ririe
Hello ladies!
I am not new. Been around a few days. 40+ years to be exact. However I am new to sledding entirely. Not even a machine yet. Rode with my BFF a couple of times and am totally hooked! Once DH gets home from ND we will begin really looking for sleds. We will start out with older stuff and see what the future brings. I can honestly say I have hated winter most of my life since my horse trail riding gets put on hold for what seems like forever. Now, I may have found the answer to beat the winter blues! So excited!
While I contemplate getting a second job to pay for the gear, (so expensive), I wonder if I would be better off waiting for a better time of year. Please tell me if there is a time of year to buy the jacket/bibs?
Also, same question for used sleds. Should we wait until the end of the season? Beginning of next? I know there are some frugal ladies who might help me with these questions?
My main riding will be trails. Dont need a go fast machine but a dependable one. My BFF has a RMK 550 so would like something similar. Any thoughts? How does a 440 touring compare? Anyway, thanks for help.

L

live2ride

Moderator: Premium Member
Nov 11, 2001
Gillette, WY
www.kristyharnish.com
Welcome!!!! We have many ladies on here that can help with these questions. I first off would say we are so excited to have another hooked gal on the forum. As far as gear usually is forsale thoughout the year, so just watch the clothing section. As a sled usually in the summer or fall is when people are trying to sell as they purchased a new one from my experience. Also a 440 touring is usually a 2 seater sled, way different than a 550 trail. A 600 would also work well for you from the sounds of what you are wanting. I hope you find the powder room very resourceful!!!

B

bigislandgrrl

Dec 17, 2010
Milliken, Colorado
Yep ^ what Live2ride said. Id watch the clothing section on here and you will find a great deal, just need to be patient and persistent. I havent found much luck with craigslist, but maybe in your area it might be better. You might even post your own "wtb" thread with what size you are and what you are looking for. Im sure many ladies here on Snowest graduate to new gear every other Christmas or so :) - I believe the sizing on most gear to be off or not what you would expect. Take a trip to your nearest retailer and try some stuff on -

I prefer Klim gear to all other brands - and if you are going used gear Id stay with KLIM - the stuff holds up!

As far as sleds.....I cannot comment. Id work a second and third job to afford a new sled if I had to! Welcome to your new addiction!

Snow Duck

The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Kuna Idaho to Elk City Idaho..
Hello ladies!
I am not new. Been around a few days. 40+ years to be exact. However I am new to sledding entirely. Not even a machine yet. Rode with my BFF a couple of times and am totally hooked! Once DH gets home from ND we will begin really looking for sleds. We will start out with older stuff and see what the future brings. I can honestly say I have hated winter most of my life since my horse trail riding gets put on hold for what seems like forever. Now, I may have found the answer to beat the winter blues! So excited!
While I contemplate getting a second job to pay for the gear, (so expensive), I wonder if I would be better off waiting for a better time of year. Please tell me if there is a time of year to buy the jacket/bibs?
Also, same question for used sleds. Should we wait until the end of the season? Beginning of next? I know there are some frugal ladies who might help me with these questions?
My main riding will be trails. Dont need a go fast machine but a dependable one. My BFF has a RMK 550 so would like something similar. Any thoughts? How does a 440 touring compare? Anyway, thanks for help.

WELCOME!! SLEDDING IS SUCH A FUN WINTER SPORT...
I will be getting rid of my wifes gear at the close of this season..it is all Klim gear..so if you are in no hurry and the size is correct then i may have a start for you..pm me if interested

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Check out Action Motor Sports in IF. I think they have their Klim stuff on sale. The men's stuff is getting slim, but they seem to have a decent selection of Klim gear for the ladies.

Q
Feb 9, 2013
our fave boots

Welcome to sledding! I am new to snowest (well, I have been reading over my husband's shoulder for several years) and today we are headed to the Snowies and I decided to finally get my own account. I just got a new Klim jacket- can't wait for it to arrive, but I wanted to suggest to the original poster that if you are looking for amazing but inexpensive (relatively) boots, I LOVE my MuckBoots for sledding! the first few years I used the plain ol' farm version, but there wasn't enough traction and I wanted a little more insulation so now our whole family uses the Arctic Sport Muckboots for sledding. And the old ones just stay home and get used for winter chores. (and YES- such a bummer the weather's too nasty this winter for riding the horses, but WOOT for the snow so we can sled!:)
The muckers (as we all call them) are waterproof clear up to your knee- and if you have "thick" calves they stretch right over and the elastic stuff at the top keeps every flake out, even with the really ungraceful "dismounts." :face-icon-small-ton

Our local farm supply store carries these- I think they are in the $85-95 range (well, in Iowa, anyway) and make a great boot to keep you warm and dry. The men's and women's sizes are both printed in the boot, I wear an 8/8.5 women's shoe and get along great with the size 8 muckers. One of my favorite things about them is the shaft folds down for easy on/off, and it's got that scuba gear stuff at the top (the boot itself is covered in 1-piece rubber, super sturdy, never had a hole or a leak in either pair) that just rolls right up and around my fleece pants, still room for your foot to move and breath but still watertight. (you could stand in water almost to your knees and never get wet.)

Ok, so there it is, my first snowest contribution. have a great time, I'm envious you live in Idaho and are way closer to the mountains.

Premium Features