• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Heated brake leaver

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Screenshot_20190918-064752.pngScreenshot_20190918-064752.pngthink one of these kits would work to add heat to the stock brake leaver? Just wire it into the d.c. power? Or splice it in with the thumb power ?

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
I don't see why that wouldn't "work" but personally I'd go with the Skinz heated lever. Yes, it's expensive, but so is everything in this sport. And it's clean, and plug-and-play.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I know the skinz would be better, but it's 320-330 cnd. Or 50 to make it.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I bought a Skinz heated lever for my Doo. The design of the lever is great, nice and short but has good leverage for one or two finger use but it was so HOT I couldn’t use it so I had to unplug it. I use thin gloves on the palm side and I am sure that makes a dif.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Definitely burn your hands when loading or unloading without gloves.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I bought a Skinz heated lever for my Doo. The design of the lever is great, nice and short but has good leverage for one or two finger use but it was so HOT I couldn’t use it so I had to unplug it. I use thin gloves on the palm side and I am sure that makes a dif.

Couldn't you wire it into the factory controls or have a switch/thermostat controlling it? You would think for the price of it Skinz would include this type of set up..

To the OP. I'm sure if you done a little research you could find a thin enough 12v flexible strip heater you could mount on the lever.. Probably just a single layer of black vinyl tape to cover it. Wire it to a thermostat, and you'd be good to go.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
they send it wired with a plug that fits the accessory plug for the doo. No control on that circuit. I never tried anything else. I don’t think a layer of shrink wrap would be enough. I though about wrapping it in paracord but never tried.
The adjustability of the lever is really nice and the shape and length are great too. I leave my finger on the brake all the time and that finger can get numb on cold days. Be nice if it was adjustable for temp.

MDEVO

Chic Chocs Addicts
Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2011
Oshawa, ON,Canada
I would use shrink wrap over the strip heater instead of tape. My experience is the glue on the tape will come loose with the heat, constant use and the elements.

Not sure this would work. The shrink wrap works with heat too so would likely move around??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
The heat shrink works awesome and does not move. I even use it under my stock handwarmers, alot better then adding cork under them.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
From the comments above, I'm starting to think about a game plan when my new Skinz heated brake level gets too hot. Wrap with hockey stick tape .... (glue?). Or add a layer of shrink wrap ... or two ? Hmmm

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
I agree - not too hot with gloves. Sometimes I load the sled in the morning without gloves, and it's almost too hot for that. But just a thin pair is all that's needed to make it comfortable.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
At this time Skinz does not sell a switch for this heated break lever. I love mine and can't live without it now. My current one has lasted on my last few sleds and I just installed it on my 2020. Keeps my brake finger warm, its adjustable and I really like the angle it has. Plus, its just plug and play, so no wires to splice! If you want you can see how easy it is to install here:

Premium Features