• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Heat Wrap and Turbo blanket?

B

BrachtMotosports116

Aug 21, 2014
Cant seem to find any information if anyone is doing this or not... seen a few m1100t's doing it, but no turbo Pro guys? I've personally seen some great benefits on Turbo cars. maybe im just bored waiting for snow but im looking for another project, but also dont want to waist my time. :juggle:

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I push 30-35psi with race gas on my GT2867R on my audi. Reason I don't run one on my car is it gives it a greater chance to crack the exhaust housing. I've seen many crack without a turbo blanket. But with a sled only pushing 5-7psi, it isn't gonna get anywhere near as hot, so I can definitely see a benefit from it without any worries of cracking the housing.

D
Oct 31, 2013
NH
I push 30-35psi with race gas on my GT2867R on my audi. Reason I don't run one on my car is it gives it a greater chance to crack the exhaust housing. I've seen many crack without a turbo blanket. But with a sled only pushing 5-7psi, it isn't gonna get anywhere near as hot, so I can definitely see a benefit from it without any worries of cracking the housing.

What kind of Audi you running? I have a pearl white B5 Avant RS4 conversion running 770s at 34lbs of boost putting out 600AWHP

IG dubaudigreg

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Nice dude that thing is a beast! I have an 03 A4 avant with a bored/stroked motor to 2.0L. I'm putting down a little over 400AWHP right now. I go by CO AVANT on audizine. Don't post anymore though. You on E85 or race gas? I'm on Sunoco GT plus 104 unleaded. Expensive stuff though at about $10 gal. Good thing it's not my daily driver.

Sorry for the thread de-rail OP

D
Oct 31, 2013
NH
Nice dude that thing is a beast! I have an 03 A4 avant with a bored/stroked motor to 2.0L. I'm putting down a little over 400AWHP right now. I go by CO AVANT on audizine. Don't post anymore though. You on E85 or race gas? I'm on Sunoco GT plus 104 unleaded. Expensive stuff though at about $10 gal. Good thing it's not my daily driver.

Sorry for the thread de-rail OP

93 and meth, BTW my Avant was from Ft Collins was owned by Keith Salmon, and it was Avalong Motorsports car before that.

Last edited:
D
Oct 31, 2013
NH
To keep this thread going I too have been wondering about heat wrap on my Silber turbo set up. I know with my turbo car its known that if you wrap or heat coat the exhaust and dowpipes, holding the heat in the exhaust creates better flow and spool. I have a feeling with such low boost it really wont make a huge improvement.

T
Oct 15, 2009
SE idaho
I have personally not tried it because this year will be my first boosted sled but some of the guys around here claim with a blanket having better response and power. This season i will be trying one out on my axys with a mtn tek kit. I will be running on pump gas first then to race gas. Get ahold of Levi from turbo performance products if interested in having one built. He has built some for sleds before and can build whatever for any turbo/system with some measurements you give him. He will be building mine when i get the kit here and installed in the next couple of weeks. He is a great guy to deal with and supplies a large number of aftermarket diesel turbo builders with blankets and turbo socks.
Admin hope the link is ok just trying to point people to a product/service not readily available to the sled industry.
http://turbo-performance-products.myshopify.com

T
Jan 4, 2011
It's surprising to see so little interest in turbo blankets with so many people running turbo sleds these days, especially considering the advantages seem even more useful on snowmobile applications.

The only drawback would be higher internal exhaust and turbine temperature which could cause cracking and early turbo failure.

Advantages:
  • cooler underhood temperatures, which will help with belt drive longevity
  • better turbo spool, which will translate into better throttle response
  • keeps heat away from compressor side of the turbo, reducing inlet air temperatures, which will make more power at the same psi

I am thinking of running a basalt based turbo blanket for the EFR 6258 such as one of these:

Has anyone experienced any noticeable benefits first hand with a turbo blanket?

V

Vailguy

Apr 24, 2008
Foothills
@CO 2.0 @Dubaudi
I know this is a 4.5 year old thread but it made me smile as I was researching turbo blankets for my boosted gen4 850. All the Audi talk brings me back 20 years to my AWE K04 tuned B5. McA4 on audiworld. CO birds of a feather indeed.

-vailguy

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
i run a 2867r on my sled and i am literally working on stainless heat shields built out of the stainless main bearing spacers from multiple duramax engine builds i have done over the years. tial houseing, sure ain't worried about cracking it! @meethooker i know my experiences on snow is that DEI brand likes to light your sled on fire! ask me how i know lol

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Turbo blankets and heat wrap on my last 2 turbo pros, will continue to do so, much less under hood head, ran my last sled without for a bit because proper turbo blanket was like $250(borgwarner efr ) definitely helps on the axys since the tps sensor is on the right side as that has been an issue on my 17’, it doesn’t like that heat and moisture. It now has blanket and heat wrap and won’t go without again

Premium Features