• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Heading West to Ride, need assistance on sorting out options

J
Feb 17, 2018
Not sure where is was supposed to post but here is where I landed.

Looking to take the family out west (Michigan) to ride, maybe Yellowstone area but open to suggestions.

Its me , the wife and my two young adult kids. We have all been riding a long time with the minimum experience being 18 years. It’s all been in Michigan so although we have some practical experience we don’t have any out west experience.
What we are looking for is maybe a guided tour one day to get our bearings and then another day to go out on our own or a tour that lets us get off the trail and experience some powder.
I really don’t know where to start looking? Area? Tour guides? Rental outfits? We would fly out and bring only our must have gear. Otherwise we would rent everything we need while we are out there. Any assistance in getting started sorting this trip out would be appreciated.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002

Togwotee would be perfect. They also have there classic winter package sale on right now. You fly into Jackson Wy, and they pick you up. They have everything you need right at the lodge.... Several lodging options, rental sleds, tour guides, bar, restaurant.
The riding is great and there is a wide range of options for different skill levels and a good trail system to get around.

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
Not sure where is was supposed to post but here is where I landed.

Looking to take the family out west (Michigan) to ride, maybe Yellowstone area but open to suggestions.

Its me , the wife and my two young adult kids. We have all been riding a long time with the minimum experience being 18 years. It’s all been in Michigan so although we have some practical experience we don’t have any out west experience.
What we are looking for is maybe a guided tour one day to get our bearings and then another day to go out on our own or a tour that lets us get off the trail and experience some powder.
I really don’t know where to start looking? Area? Tour guides? Rental outfits? We would fly out and bring only our must have gear. Otherwise we would rent everything we need while we are out there. Any assistance in getting started sorting this trip out would be appreciated.
If you want a bit smaller place and don't care about nightlife but had the rentals, guides, all types of terrain check out Beaver Creek Lodge in Utah. You can fly into SLC and rent a car. About a 2 to 21/2 drive. They have all the gear you need, Klim, good food and skiing across the highway if should want to do that also.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I would also suggest a long hard look at Togwotee as a possible first western destination.

Which is NOT to say that you wouldn't have a blast in West Yellowstone or Island Park.
Only that you "MIGHT" find an integrated solution like Togwotee Lodge very friendly for you and your family on your first visit.

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
Tog is awesome. Don't get frustrated with how tracked-out it gets in the meadows near the lodge, especially if other mountain regions are low on snow. Hire a guide to get you to the stashes. (Scenic Safaris might be surpassing Togwotee for guide quality, but both can still be great). Early season snow at Tog already = sketchy avalanche conditions later. Another reason to hire a good guide.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I wouldn't rule out West Yellowstone. You can fly into Bozeman and then you have about 90 miles south to West Yellowstone. There are tons of hotels, restaurants, dealerships, rental shops and guide services located right in town. As far as riding you have tons of options there as well including trails, and several different levels for off trail riding. Lodging is typically reasonable that time of year and with several options for restaurants, overall pricing for a trip usually isn't bad. You also have a local grocery store as well as "some" of the gifts shops will be open. You also have the option of running back up to Big Sky if anyone in family enjoys skiing.

Like I said, don't rule it out!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Go to Tog if you want...
A smaller more isolated facility that is a one stop shop environment.
One Lodge
One Restaurant
One Bar
One Rental facility
Ect...
Very Good "Highway" grade trail system that will get you to some VAST open riding areas.

Go to West Yellowstone / Island Park if you want
MASSIVE groomed Trail system, something like 600 miles total groomed trails in mountains and valley.
Night Life
LOTS of different hotels to chose from
LOTS of different restaurants and bars
LOTS of different rental facilities
Opportunity to ride into Yellowstone National Park (Heavily controlled riding)
Opportunity for some serious

Both places offer a VERY wide variety of riding.
Both have Great Mountain riding opportunities that will easily match up with ANY of your riding abilities.

A guide at Tog is well worth your investment though..

J
Jan 20, 2009
Northern Utah
I agree with everything already said. I'm not sure how your time or budget looks, but Utah would probably be more budget and time friendly. You'll have many more flight options, riding areas, lodging, night life within a relatively shorter range from Salt Lake City airport than you will into Idaho and Wyoming. The further you get away from Salt Lake and Park City, prices on everything generally go down and availability goes up. Riding areas are generally close enough to the cities, that you don't have to stay in the woods for days. You could lodge close to tourist life , then head back to the mountains to ride. Check out Monte Cristo range, The sinks, Heber City, Fairview skyline drive, Bear Lake, Kamas and Woodland. Lots of great options where Salt Lake will be your best airport option.

Premium Features