• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Has Polaris issued a recall for the oil cap?

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Some times the easy things in life make to much sense .

IMG_20140419_132406_714.jpg

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Here is another idea. When I had a Doo, it had a vent line and if you filled the oil tank too high, it would puke out if the oil warmed up and expanded. I simply added a little filter on the line that would allow 2 way flow of air bit it was too restrictive to let oil flow. Worked like a charm. If a one way check valve is used, I can see the tank pressuring up after being filled in the cold and then being brought into a warm trailer or garage. Some guys also plugged the line and switched to the Artic Cat cap and that fixed them up. Not sure if they use the same valve design but they also have a ball in them.

A
Nov 12, 2010
Would you really need a check valve on the venthose?
If you route the hose to a lower point then the oil canister the oil should not be able to flow thru the venthose while upsidedown if the checkvalve on the cap is working since there should more or less be a vaccum in the canister.

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Would you really need a check valve on the venthose?
If you route the hose to a lower point then the oil canister the oil should not be able to flow thru the venthose while upsidedown if the checkvalve on the cap is working since there should more or less be a vaccum in the canister.

I thought about the same thing, but I am pretty sure that once it is upside down, some oil will flow into the vent tube and when you roll it back over the oil will run out of the tube - so if you use a really small diameter tube you wont end up with much leakage but you will have some.

I went with the PASSO cap - seems like the perfect solution.

C

Carlos Randolph

Dec 2, 2007
Northfield Mn
OIL CAP

I am a true believer in "Re" venting the tank or cap. I personally just did the cap. Used way more oil in my 13 this way. Did it to my 15 straight away when I got it home from the dealer. I am just more than aware if the sled spends any time upside down or on its side, I gotta get it stood back on the skis soon or there could be a drip.

Call me crazy, but I will take a little oil film on the tank over a burnt piston any day. Shoot I usually am the guy who forgets to put on the oil cap at least once a year! That little drip is nothing at that point:face-icon-small-con.

Also, that little drip is nothing compared to the mess the hose off the power valves make in the bottom of the bulk head.

My next invention......double trouble oil cap vent, in line into power valve dump that exits the belly/bulk head just in front of the can.

I smell a kit coming......2 birds one stone. Pat pending on this idea.....lol

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Not trying to take anyone's business away, but for those looking for low cost alternatives to both issues - a #20 or so drill bit, a hole or two in the right place, and $4 of Napa 3/8" fuel hose pretty much solves both issues. Speaking from my experience with three pros. I like smiple fixes. Yep, cap will definitely weep if left upside down. Don't leave it upside down. Wipe up if you leave it upside down. Haven't had it weep, yet, with a rollover unstuck. I'm also convinced that there is an oil cap vent issue with the stock oil cap, especially if the oiler is turned up.

Last edited:
R

rilesman5

Jan 21, 2009
MT
I got a hold of paaso from hardcoresledder.com. He is a vendor on that site but his e-mail address is paasoracing@gmail.com. Drop him a e-mail and he will send you the information and pricing you need.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I'm venting my 2015 as cheap as I can, been off work for 6 weeks after knee surgery... funds are tight lol.
I picked up a Polaris 1/4" check valve, and some hose at the dealer a few days ago. They did not have any grommets or barbs though. Trying to find a buddy with a old junk oil bottle laying around to rob from.

If I decide to vent from the cap itself, what sort of fitting am I going to be looking for?
Obviously it would be better if it swiveled on the cap and even more awesome if it was a 90deg fitting to keep it low profile. All I have access to in town is a hardware store, and an industrial supply shop that deals with alot of hydraulic hose / fitting making... I'm just clueless as to what to go in asking for.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I suppose something like this could work, so long as I can convert to barb, or a 1/4"ish threaded off the swivel 90?

*edit* I just realized the swivel is on the wrong side of the 90, crap

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
If you can not find the tank grommet and fitting (used on both oil tanks and fuel tanks for the last couple decades). In a pinch I'd drill a hole in the tank or lid slightly smaller (a 1/16" or so should yield adequate compression, without making assembly impossible) than the OD of the hose and use the memory of the hose to keep in in place and sealed. You can always drill it larger later once you locate the grommet and fitting.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I suppose I could just thread an NTP 90 into the top of the bottle too... I had worries this might not be tough enough, but it would probably never be an issue

Premium Features