• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED A 2019 AXYS 850 ENGINE FAILURE ?

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
My buddy's friend knows a guy who's friend has a blown 850 didn't happen without pics. Whatever it's worth my dealer has 36 850s with no problems. There will always be some failures is with every brand. With more power the axys will dominate the mtn segment.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
have you ever found a dealer willing to admit a common problem with the product they sell? let me know because all the ones around here never heard of a problem on the 900's or the dragon 800's when i was purchasing.

My dealer said to not to buy 2010 Assault on the showroom floor...
I didn’t listen :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
B
Oct 31, 2010
Do you know if it was seized piston or crank/bearing?
Piston.
Just making an observation here seems like alot the 850s that are blowed up are posters with low post numbers. Hmmmmmm
Yeah it could also mean I have other things to do than spend my life on internet. Believe me or not, I give zero ****s. I personally own an 850 patriot and have had a 16-17 and 18 Axys if this increase my street cred to you :brokenheart:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Just making an observation here seems like alot the 850s that are blowed up are posters with low post numbers. Hmmmmmm
Do i have enough posts to be credible?
How about my rep power?
My time on the forum?
The fact im a lifetime member?
Together, do those numbers help u to believe what i say?
I get what ur saying/where ur coming from because we have had our share of sh!t talkers and trouble makers. To me, The posts in this thread don't seem absurd or unbelievable. I have no reason to doubt them.

I spoke directly with the Mechanic that tore down the 850 with the seized crank bearing.(pistons looked fine, plenty of oil throughout the engine) Yup, 5miles on the sled.
I believe the bearing issue will be on more than one sled. Not epidemic but not the only one. That is not the big concern to me. The top end has me worried more than the bearing. This may be like the bearing issue, related to a 'batch' or 'lot' and not widespread.
Only time will tell.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Straight goods in the interest of information... we have had one 850 fail. Center crank bearing seized up (rider over the bars) at approx 8 hours. Tech was able to get it to release after it cooled down. Pulled engine down and everything looks great, other than the bearing itself. Oil line was fine, inside of the engine oiled well....best guess is that bearing just wasn't quite right. So far an isolated thing, we have many others running well. A couple have fouled plugs, other than that all good so far.

At this point, I am ok to write off 1 out of dozens as an anomaly. Polaris has parts, so it should be running in a reasonable time.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Straight goods in the interest of information... we have had one 850 fail. Center crank bearing seized up (rider over the bars) at approx 8 hours. Tech was able to get it to release after it cooled down. Pulled engine down and everything looks great, other than the bearing itself. Oil line was fine, inside of the engine oiled well....best guess is that bearing just wasn't quite right. So far an isolated thing, we have many others running well. A couple have fouled plugs, other than that all good so far.

At this point, I am ok to write off 1 out of dozens as an anomaly. Polaris has parts, so it should be running in a reasonable time.

OMG you mean the "poorly honed" top end didnt fail? I was told the top end was going to blow apart and all 850s were doooomed :face-icon-small-con

A
Dec 16, 2018
update:

Sled at the shop. Polaris requested computer data. Everything looked fine except for low voltage ECM code.

Asked to look at reeds and crank. Noticed metal in bottom end and waiting to hear back from Polaris on how they want us to proceed. I hope they send a new crate motor :face-icon-small-con

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
OMG you mean the "poorly honed" top end didnt fail? I was told the top end was going to blow apart and all 850s were doooomed :face-icon-small-con

Not really.

You were told that IF all of them looked like the one dan had, it was HIS OPINION that there would be a lot of failures.

Subtle difference.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
My opinion on all of this is that it is not due to Polaris design, but due to poor quality parts that they source. Parts all come from somewhere, not built by Polaris in house. Polaris puts them together. For years, electrical issues, crank issues, etc. Side by sides with massive repeated recalls. Sleds. Polaris needs to source the parts as cheap as possible, to make money. The cheapest parts fail. Polaris has to pay warranties, which puts them further back. A downhill slide.
If all of the parts that Poo wanted/ordered were what they really wanted, I don't think that there would be many issues. (Perfect world.)
Same with any manufacturer, I just think that Polaris got very big very quickly with all of the different lines and got upside down with massive amounts of warranty claims that cost them a lot.
Just a theory.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=445843

Check out this thread. Original poster was new to forum-- BUT Dan from Indy Specialty chimed in with observations from his own 850 that he tore down to inspect.

It's going to be an interesting year.

I have read that thread also Dan has a great reputation and business just stating what he has seen on his sled and problems that might arise. In mass production getting a great finish on the inside of a motor will never happen costs to much. I was also stating a fact on low post numbers with engine problems. I don't care if I offended anyone because of the trolls that want to bash any product if it be Polaris, ski doo,Artic cat and Yamaha. I've had failures on them all.

J
Feb 26, 2018
update:

Sled at the shop. Polaris requested computer data. Everything looked fine except for low voltage ECM code.

Asked to look at reeds and crank. Noticed metal in bottom end and waiting to hear back from Polaris on how they want us to proceed. I hope they send a new crate motor :face-icon-small-con

Thanks for checking back in. Keep us posted. Any chance of getting some pictures of the failure for reference?

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018

Well they probably are... Takes a while to ruin the top end with a poor hone. The thread started with dismay about how the finish was worse than the 800's which had been improving over the years and was reflected in the Axys 800HO's improved reliability.

Still my 800HO blew up with only ~100 hrs, 1100 miles on it. I knew better than to trust them again with a first year offering. Looks like that was probably the right decision.

He (Indy Dan) keeps repeating the mantra that we shall see and that time will prove it out one way or the other. I for one trust his judgment and experience.

I think Polaris dropped the ball on a first year motor, again. Big surprise.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
My opinion on all of this is that it is not due to Polaris design, but due to poor quality parts that they source. Parts all come from somewhere, not built by Polaris in house. Polaris puts them together. For years, electrical issues, crank issues, etc. Side by sides with massive repeated recalls. Sleds. Polaris needs to source the parts as cheap as possible, to make money. The cheapest parts fail. Polaris has to pay warranties, which puts them further back. A downhill slide.
If all of the parts that Poo wanted/ordered were what they really wanted, I don't think that there would be many issues. (Perfect world.)
Same with any manufacturer, I just think that Polaris got very big very quickly with all of the different lines and got upside down with massive amounts of warranty claims that cost them a lot.
Just a theory.

Polaris wants cheap parts, and that's exactly what they get.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
15k views. This is good chit!(in a eye squinting, puffing on a joint and handing it your buddy kinda way).

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
15k views. This is good chit!(in a eye squinting, puffing on a joint and handing it your buddy kinda way).

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Yep, and good laugh after spending the day WOT on our 850's. Four years to get a new engine, I like it and should help resale. Hell I might lend mine to TRS for
Bit???

Premium Features