• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Has anybody ever blown up a boosted Phazer?

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
Going from memory and not personal experience there was several gernaded Phazers 5+ years ago.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
i cant say if they were set up proper but i have seen allot more phazer motor go than nytro or rx-apex motors.at least 2or3 to one,they just dont take boost as well.

Y

yamahajohnson220

Jan 4, 2008
Mine runs strong with 13lbs, no headshim, 100LL at 10,000 feet. Key is to keep afr's in check. Its a ripper. I did loose a piston a few years back when all I had was a cheap boost gauge and riding at home at sea level. It was detonation due to high compression ratios. As far as grenade, I am yet to see one also.

Last edited:
S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Mine runs strong with 13lbs, no headshim, 100LL at 10,000 feet. Key is to keep afr's in check. Its a ripper. I did loose a piston a few years back when all I had was a cheap boost gauge and riding at home at sea level. It was detonation due to high compression ratios. As far as grenade, I am yet to see one also.

Yeah I had two boosted Phazers, turbo I rode last season. Girlfriend rode the 160hp Supercharged last season and part of this. The only ones I know had issues were above 160hp or had issues when ran out of specs.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
A buddy had his go down a couple of years ago. The root cause was he had the boost cranked up (don't remember how high) and was running only 50/50 race/pump fuel at the time.
He rebuilt it with new rods, lower comp pistons and now runs less boost to be on the safe side. The sled has been trouble free since.
As far as I know he has restrained himself from dialing the boost up farther, but did say that if he did that he would run straight race fuel in it!

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
I had one go, to much boost 16lbs with a head shim, on race fuel. It would creep in to the 18 lb range at altitude. Mcx kit, The rod failed and out the block it went.

Last edited:

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Just as reliable as a nytro, prob easier to blow up since it doesn't handle big boost and when it's 160hp @ 14lbs. I know I would wanna crank it up " oh just a few more lbs wont hurt". Boom

I still like the phazer and will eventually be looking into options such as sleeves or a ductile iron block. 200+ hp phazer would be amazing

M

MRFUSION

Aug 8, 2008
Peace River AB
I have a question off topic here. I just bought a wrecked 07 MCX Phazer for my wife and built the engine with no head shim and am looking to run at 5psi. Testing it I am unable to get below 6.5psi without having my waste gate slightly open, I was going to port the wastegate to help me out. Anyone try this route on this turbo before. Should be a fun sled for her. Thanx
Shad

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Porting the wastegate may help but maybe not enough if you want 5 psi, you should be able to pic up a new wastegate for fairly cheap

M

MRFUSION

Aug 8, 2008
Peace River AB
I was thinking of that but when I got this wreck it the turbo was damaged and its a one off Mitsubishi that MCX gets made for them, had to bite the bullet on the cartridge and go through MCX. I will check on the actuator see if that's easier. Thanx

H

HANDSOME

Nov 28, 2007
Pouce Coupe
Yeah I had two boosted Phazers, turbo I rode last season. Girlfriend rode the 160hp Supercharged last season and part of this. The only ones I know had issues were above 160hp or had issues when ran out of specs.

I dont mean hijack but which do you like better ?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have thought about boosting one of my phazers many times, but that rumor of GRENADING was dang prevalent here on SnoWest.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I have thought about boosting one of my phazers many times, but that rumor of GRENADING was dang prevalent here on SnoWest.

I thought we put that rumor to bed Christopher, the only ones that are real not rumors were set up wrong. Funny how rumors become fact and people don't ask the poster "did it happen to you or see it in person?"

I sold both mine so I no longer care about Phazers it just kind of aggravates me when rumors are more real than fact.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I dont mean hijack but which do you like better ?

Two different animals.

Turbo Phazer nice take off and great top end. Only Turbo I know of was MCXexpress and I had a less than pleasant experience.

Supercharged Phazer will pull yours arms on take off and instant power after letting off and acceleration.

If I did it again, Supercharged for sure on a Phazer.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Two different animals.

Turbo Phazer nice take off and great top end. Only Turbo I know of was MCXexpress and I had a less than pleasant experience.

Supercharged Phazer will pull yours arms on take off and instant power after letting off and acceleration.

If I did it again, Supercharged for sure on a Phazer.
That would be the route I would go as well.
I would think 6-9lbs would be pretty solid on that little sled.

We should get MATT from MPI to jump in on this and offer his comments.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I thought we put that rumor to bed Christopher, the only ones that are real not rumors were set up wrong. Funny how rumors become fact and people don't ask the poster "did it happen to you or see it in person?"

I still have two of them and we ride them pretty much every weekend.
There always seems to be someone who wants to come riding that doesn't have a sled and they are darn near bulletproof little sleds. So they are perfect loaners.

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
My take on the Phazer is that Yamaha squeezed out everything they could out of that little motor from the factory unlike maybe the Nytro or the Apex. So when you add boost it becomes more on the edge as far as reliability goes. The Phazer with boost requires more of a hands on experience. The Nytro and the Apex and now the Viper motor can take a lot without any problems.

Premium Features