• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Half Links - What's working with the EK 520 SR05?

K

kell8071

Feb 4, 2013
Vashon, WA
As the title says what chain 1/2 link are people having good luck with? Adding a weak link to the system makes me nervous but if others are having good luck I will give it a shot.

I'm on a 530 and want to try 15/17 & 17/20 but can't make the 15/17 combo work with the standard length chain or with an additional 2 links.

Kell

Motogeek33

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2009
North Idaho
I've been going all season so far (about 8 good rides) with the half-link from this chain repair kit:
https://www.denniskirk.com/parts-unlimited/520-standard-chain-repair-kit.p113131.prd/113131.sku

I also carry the rest of this chain repair kit, an extra eBay half-link and two or three extra master links.

I started out this year with a non o-ring chain and the half-link, but I started getting worried that the chain would break because of how much it was stretching every ride. So for the last couple rides I've been using the same half-link with my original o-ring chain and it's working fine so far.

I also have a Tsubaki non o-ring chain and half-link that I'll install if the current setup starts looking like it's going to fail.

All this anxiety over whether my chain will make it through the day has me thinking about doing something else for next year. I might swap the sprockets in the chain case to get the gearing I want, or just live with the lower gearing of the stock setup without a half-link.

K

kell8071

Feb 4, 2013
Vashon, WA
Thanks for the info, maybe I'll try it for the short term to get a feel for that reduction. After just toasting my side panel, case cover, bearings and tailbone due to a snow covered stump I would like to avoid other causes of anxiety!

So far I tried stock 13/17 & 17/20 (1.54) and 12/17 & 20/17 (1.2). Stock left me over revved in 3rd and not pulling 4th in the deep The other setup was good but I wanted a little more reduction to help get into 3rd gear in deep/steep. Hence the 15/17 & 17/20 (1.33) that sounds like it would be the best of both worlds (for me any way...).

Kell

I've been going all season so far (about 8 good rides) with the half-link from this chain repair kit:
https://www.denniskirk.com/parts-unlimited/520-standard-chain-repair-kit.p113131.prd/113131.sku

I also carry the rest of this chain repair kit, an extra eBay half-link and two or three extra master links.

I started out this year with a non o-ring chain and the half-link, but I started getting worried that the chain would break because of how much it was stretching every ride. So for the last couple rides I've been using the same half-link with my original o-ring chain and it's working fine so far.

I also have a Tsubaki non o-ring chain and half-link that I'll install if the current setup starts looking like it's going to fail.

All this anxiety over whether my chain will make it through the day has me thinking about doing something else for next year. I might swap the sprockets in the chain case to get the gearing I want, or just live with the lower gearing of the stock setup without a half-link.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I've used the Tsubaki non oring with their half link kit. Worked fine on the 500 ! Seems to be nice and strong !

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Just ordered some. Thanks for the link. Ha HA. That should let me run a 13T on my 300.

K

kell8071

Feb 4, 2013
Vashon, WA
Summitboy, can you post a link to the tsubaki link you had success with? All the images from searching for their 1/2 links shows a regular clip style master link or no image. I just wan't to make sure I order the right thing up.

I've used the Tsubaki non oring with their half link kit. Worked fine on the 500 ! Seems to be nice and strong !

Kell

M
Oct 11, 2019
Sorry if this is a double post - I'm new on here and not very familiar with forums...

Motogeek - what bike did/do you have the half link on? Just wondering how much power that link is handling.

K
Oct 2, 2008
Clarkston W.A.
I ran a 15 tooth primary on a 17 YZ450Fx with a 137 sx timbersled and it worked really well. It fit the torc curve of the bike well. Had to use a half link to make the chain work. Rode it for 2 seasons. About 30 to 40 rides total. FYI...

2smokin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2018
Bozeman MT
Thanks for the info, maybe I'll try it for the short term to get a feel for that reduction. After just toasting my side panel, case cover, bearings and tailbone due to a snow covered stump I would like to avoid other causes of anxiety!
Kell
I wish that didn't sound so very familiar haha!

M
Oct 11, 2019

I see they also have an HD version of the kit. Was it just the standard kit that you have been using?

M
Oct 11, 2019
The Dennis Kirk kit looks to be fairly well made but it wouldn't work with my chain (EK 520 SR05 O-ring) as the EK pins are 0.2mm bigger than those in the kit/the ID of the half link. An other big problem is that the space between the side plates in the half link is very similar to the width of the EK link that it slides over but the EK link (standard chain link) has protruding bushings that don't allow the link to fit - even with force. These protruding bushings are possibly a difference between O-ring and non O-ring chains...

If anyone in Alberta has a chain that they are good for we can make a deal...

Premium Features