• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Grippers vs 19 Cat skis

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
So ran 19 cat skis all winter long on my alpha and MC. Had grippers on my 18 all last winter. Think the 19 cat ski is a huge step up from all previous Cat skis. They look so similar. But after today I am back on the gripper train.

I put one grippers ski and 19 cat ski on my alpha. Road it today in 12" of fluffy pow on top of rock hard snow. So there was little push back and some unpredictable nature of the snow. This is where I noticed the biggest difference on why I like the gripper ski so much. I tried to throw every maneuver down I could on both skis. The gripper was the clear winner for me. The 19 cat ski has wierd spot when you have it on one ski that is grabs bad and makes for tough steering and less predictable nature until is breaks free. Where the gripper easily slides past this grab point and slides back and forth easier. Was a lot less taxing on my shoulder and hand on that side today.

The gripper is lighter. They look similar, but the keel on the gripper goes almost to the tip and tapers down where the 19 cat ski keel stops well before the tip. The 19 cat ski is longer in the rear and the carbide is a tad longer. It tips up more in the rear. The front tips up more by a good margin. The loop on front of the cat ski protrudes forward and is larger where the gripper is smaller all around and curves back quicker. The gripper flexes more at the tip.

So yes I was surprised to see the difference. Didnt think it would be as much as it was. On trails the cat ski is better as it grabs to corner better instead of sliding out as quickly. But Id take that downfall of the gripper compared to how much more predictable it is in one ski conditions on sidehills, donuts, etc. I purposely swung each ski around a ton doing all tech maneuvers to try to make each ski mess up and catch itself in different spots. I knew the only way to compare them equally was to run them both the same day on each side in the same snow conditions

rR6NWAP

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
So less steering effort in all conditions?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Haha,
That's exactly what i was going to do!
I'm glad u posted. Save me the trouble.
Grippers back on in a few minutes.

Now, did u notice the track washing out on sidehills with that crusty layer? Mine was so bad last weekend, i just quit sidehilling anything over 30°.

Legends ZX2 SR

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Think you can modify the stock skis to work better? Id like to keep the stock green skis on the 2020

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Also if you can would you mind weighing the stock ski vs gripper

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Track does wash out in that type of snow. Id rather have rode my MC today. I'll weigh the skis once I get the other pair of grippers for the MC.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Damn, i just swapped them. I honestly thought about weighing them. Grippers are definitely lighter.
Keel is about 1/4" shorter on gripper. (Depth)

Legends ZX2 SR

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Damn, i just swapped them. I honestly thought about weighing them. Grippers are definitely lighter.
Keel is about 1/4" shorter on gripper. (Depth)

Legends ZX2 SR
Found a post that has a pic of gripper weighing 6.25 lbs with the spindle bolt and a skidoo rubber. What does a stock 19 ski weigh?

a5f2dd573ba66cd2cec522ccffd02f49.jpg

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Found a post that has a pic of gripper weighing 6.25 lbs with the spindle bolt and a skidoo rubber. What does a stock 19 ski weigh?

I swapped them on the sleds. My Hawk had the grippers, now it has the 19's.

Legends ZX2 SR

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.

a5f2dd573ba66cd2cec522ccffd02f49.jpg
Because u seem like a nice guy, i just pulled off the ski. I got exactly 7lbs all hardware.

Legends ZX2 SR

Last edited:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
The 19 cat ski has wierd spot when you have it on one ski that is grabs bad and makes for tough steering and less predictable nature until is breaks free. Where the gripper easily slides past this grab point and slides back and forth easier. Was a lot less taxing on my shoulder and hand on that side today.

rR6NWAP

yes! exactly what was wearing me down with cat skis. bigger gym hitting dudes like Caleb K. won't notice as much.
and the loops sticking out that extra inch up front, just uncalled for :yuck:
:)

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
PM me , whoever wants to sell their '19 NEW or LIKE NEW stock skis for a reasonable price!!

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
CO 2.0, you have any access to the slydog Attack? They are heavy, its the only draw back, i think 1.5Lbs more then the gripper. I really liked the Attack over the gripper. The one slight problem I saw with the gripper this year was in some heavier snow conditions the gripper would flex too much on a sidehill and almost act as a brake. The gripper is still the lightest, best mountain ski out there. Weighed the gripper 6lb 3oz with all hardware, 19' cat ski 6lb 15oz.

Last edited:

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
I like grippers, they work well on my 18. Plus i paid 150$ for a gently used set. They other day i saw a pair of take offs for 200$. I really like the color combos slydog is pushing with the new attacks but man they are a pretty penny.

E
Aug 28, 2017
So out of all the aftermarket skis, slydog, grippers, mowhawks, etc....... Who’s will lessen steering effort the most on a 19 Alpha?

Premium Features