• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Grip n rip alighnment tool?

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
Anybody have a alignment tool for rent? Or for sale I hate to buy one for a one time use but I wanna set my new sled up right out of the box. Are guys that are doing alignments seeing them off a long ways? are they off enough to worry about? Any input is appreciated, thanks

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Anybody have a alignment tool for rent? Or for sale I hate to buy one for a one time use but I wanna set my new sled up right out of the box. Are guys that are doing alignments seeing them off a long ways? are they off enough to worry about? Any input is appreciated, thanks
Was wondering the same thing. How many of you have realigned your clutches? Seems to be the new todo, but is there really any benefit on the 2019-20s ? Seems like all the belt issues have gone away, or am I wrong?

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
Was wondering the same thing. How many of you have realigned your clutches? Seems to be the new todo, but is there really any benefit on the 2019-20s ? Seems like all the belt issues have gone away, or am I wrong?
I think they are better yes, but setting it perfect or closer can't hurt anything. That's my thought anyways.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Talked to Big John the other day, he said that just installing the Grip N Rip poly bushing and adding one shim to distance the clutches will make a 50% improvement in belt life. I want the tool also, but spendy. Local shops in town (private) already said that they would be willing to borrow it, lol.

greeneman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2001
Fairbanks Alaska
Just checked 2020 expert X 154 and alignment was just a bad as all the 18 and 19's I have done.

I
Jul 5, 2001
Have done over a dozen of them, 2018, 19, 20 and all out about the same + or - .030" from factory.......
front PTO = .150", Mag side = .085", drill stainless plate with 3/8" bit and push motor fwd against bolt and shim QRS .060" top shaft and you will be good ( all with in + or - .015" )

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Just checked 2020 expert X 154 and alignment was just a bad as all the 18 and 19's I have done.

Doesnt mean anything actually, If doo is using the same spec than of course GNR settings will make them be off.

Lots of newer sled with no belt problems, turbos etc and have never had an alignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
Have done over a dozen of them, 2018, 19, 20 and all out about the same + or - .030" from factory.......
front PTO = .150", Mag side = .085", drill stainless plate with 3/8" bit and push motor fwd against bolt and shim QRS .060" top shaft and you will be good ( all with in + or - .015" )
I just did my 2020 expert. Gnr torque stop 2 shims in the front pto and 2 in the mag side 5/16 hole in the mag plate and a 3mm shim in the qrs and that put me dead on the grip n rip specs

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana

So are you really noticing a difference in belt life? Have you rode any of the sleds stock and then after aligning them? THanks

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
They are going to be off, as I'm sure ski doo has aligned the clutches with no load. With the grip n rip alignment, it aligns them as if the clutches were under load. The real question is, has it really made a difference?

Last edited:

greeneman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2001
Fairbanks Alaska
They are going to be off, as I'm sure ski doo has aligned the clutches with no load. With the grip n rip alignment, it aligns them as if the clutches were under load. The real question is, has it really made a difference?
Yes have done several that where getting under 300 miles a belt, since alignment getting way more.

greeneman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2001
Fairbanks Alaska
Doesnt mean anything actually, If doo is using the same spec than of course GNR settings will make them be off.

Lots of newer sled with no belt problems, turbos etc and have never had an alignment.

Personal sled, 2018 850 154. Running same clutching for over 800 miles. It was working pretty good and rpm was always 7900 to 8000 in the area I ride. Did full alignment and first ride after sled what pulling 8400 rpm. Had to add weight to my ZRP ramps. I did not change anything except alignment. That was enough to convince me that I was wasting power riding it misaligned.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Personal sled, 2018 850 154. Running same clutching for over 800 miles. It was working pretty good and rpm was always 7900 to 8000 in the area I ride. Did full alignment and first ride after sled what pulling 8400 rpm. Had to add weight to my ZRP ramps. I did not change anything except alignment. That was enough to convince me that I was wasting power riding it misaligned.

Did you check your shift out after the alignment??

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
I don't believe that the alignment alone will fix every problem with belt problems. Calibration is the #1 problem, possably venting is another. I no the 19s were a lot better due to venting and calibration changes from brp. But it's common sense to no that if your clutches are in good alignment under load the belt is gonna last longer, and clutching and performance are gonna be more on point all the time. Just the center to center changes .150 from off load to under load so its almost like a sacked out belt when new.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Yes marked clutches with stripe and was shifting out same as it was before.

Your alignment must of been off alot, or something is amiss.
I personally know people who have used that tool, and between this forum and others i e talked to.
What you claim is a first. 4-500 rpm increase??? I take it you were not using the “max rpm” to gauge that difference???

Is the center to center is changing that much, belt deflection will be different.

greeneman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2001
Fairbanks Alaska
Your alignment must of been off alot, or something is amiss.
I personally know people who have used that tool, and between this forum and others i e talked to.
What you claim is a first. 4-500 rpm increase??? I take it you were not using the “max rpm” to gauge that difference???

Is the center to center is changing that much, belt deflection will be different.

You can believe whatever you want, don't align your clutch thats cool, has worked great for a lot of sled I have done that where eating belts. Have talked with Big John about some clutch and he nothing but good to say on the sleds he has aligned. You don't like don't do it.

Premium Features