• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Greatest guitarists ever?

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Meridian, ID
Alex Lifeson, eh?

#1 on my list too. If you're talking a top list then Eddie Van Halen and Jimi Hendrix are up there too. Hendrix is all the more impressive since he played by ear and didn't really formally learn to read music or the underlying theory before learning to demolish guitars musically. Eddie is on there because he's amazing and had such a distinctive sound you could always tell when a Halen song was on.

So, so many good ones.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Speaking of Canadians, Brian "Too Loud" MacLeod Of Chilliwack and Headpins had a very recognizable signature sound.
We lost a good one far too early.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Ok, we've named many.
Pick only one.
Here's the twist..... You must pick one that someone else named, not one that you named.

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
Ok, we've named many.
Pick only one.
Here's the twist..... You must pick one that someone else named, not one that you named.

Well, OK if you're gonna throw a wrench in there, I'm going to say Eddie Van Halen...

But here's my "honorable mentions" (and just for the record I listen to several musical genres but the one I keep coming back to is 80's & 90's Metal...)

George Lynch of "Dokken"
Steve Vai
Michael Schenker "McCauley Shenker Group"
Mick Mars of Motley Crue"
Joe Satriani

Last edited:

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Since I'm gonna be seeing him tomorrow, I am gonna throw Brad Gillis in there.
And if we were talking greatest guitar duo... Gillis & Jeff Watson would have to be in top ten.
Great idea for new thread!

Last edited:

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
Since I'm gonna be seeing him tomorrow, I am gonna throw Brad Gillis in there.
And if we were talking greatest guitar duo... Gillis & Jeff Watson would have to be in top ten.
Great idea for new thread!

Who the hell are they?

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
My vote for best guitar duo would be Gary Rossington and Alan Collins. Of course when Steve Gaines jumped in he was also just as awesome as a duo.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
The best of the best are certainly mentioned in this thread. Hard to argue many of these.

Years ago, Eric Clapton was interviewing with Rolling Stone magazine.

The reporter asked him, "What is it like to be the greatest guitarist of all time?"

Clapton looked him right on the eye and dead-panned "I don't know, ask Prince."

Last edited:
Premium Features