• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Grease Telescoping (adjustable) Steering Post

F
Jan 3, 2008
Heard from a guy that you can grease the telescoping steering post so they don't stick and are easy to adjust to get the exact height. After I did this it moves up and down so much easier and I get the exact height I want. There are actually a lot of notches to set the height at but when it doesn't slide easy you would never know it. Step 1 take the handle bars off. Step two remove the snap ring at the top of the column. IMG_3681.JPG

Telescoping feature will now slide off the steering shaft, there might be a little bit of a burr holding it on just pull hard and it should come off. Step three put the telescoping mechanism on a bench and remove the bottom snap ring.

IMG_3680.JPG

The locking mechanism for the telecscoping adjustment will now come apart. There are detent balls in there so you want to do this over a bench. Most likely the balls are stuck in place but one or two might fall out so be prepared. Just use grease to hold the balls in place during reassembly.

IMG_3677.JPG

Now with it all apart you can grease the shaft up so it slides nice and easy. I also greased the telescoping mechanism where it slide and the lock ball also so it can slide easy.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Just finished mine. Watch those balls. About lost one when I was cleaning it and dropped it. Heard it hit something that sounded like plywood and then it rolled a little. Cleaned my lower shelf off and nothing. Then started looking under that on the floor and to my disbeleif it was sitting on a scrap piece of vinyl.

M

meierjn

Nov 11, 2008
Great info here. Thanks! I'm assuming we should use low-temp grease?

F
Jan 3, 2008
In regards to grease I just use the same low temp grease that I use for the skid and front end of my snowmobile. On a side note my steering post got bent so I picked up another used steering post. Took it apart to grease it and couldn't get it back together. Took my old one apart and put it back together again to see if I was doing something wrong. For what every reason this different used one took a lot of my body weight to push it back together. Seemed like the spring didn't want to slide over the adjustment ball. Never could figure out why my original one went back together so easy and this different used one was so difficult. Just wanted to put that out there in case someone else was having a hard time.

Premium Features