• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gps

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I bought a rhino 530. They don't hold up very well to my black lab. He chewed one up but didn't get the other one. I am going to make him give me directions until I get it replaced.

L

Letitsnow***907

Jan 9, 2008
Soldotna, Alaska
I love to ride with my Garmin Rino 530 mounted on my handle bar! They are so nice to use with other Rino users! You can poll each other if you get separated and can find each other really easy!
I mounted a light weight batttery from Snobunje.com so it is powered up all the time.

S
Jul 7, 2001
Kent WA
Rino 520/530 vs 520hcx/530hcx ?

I have a 5 yr old Rino 120 that has poor reception in the trees. While hiking, it has about a 50% chance of reception. The guys @ Tourtech in Seattle claim the HCX on any Garmin GPS is the only way to go. For my bike, they recommended a 60CX, but I can't give up the radio and peer to peer of the Rino.

Anyone have info on hcx being better?

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Garmin Oregon 400T, with the marine mounted on the dash in front og the Speedometer. Love it. Zoom into 500ft on the topo side and you can see everything. Simple to use, waterproof. Lithium batteries will get you two days of riding. I will probably look into hard wireing for this year.

MtnCat800,
I only get about 4-5 hours out of my Oregon 400t. What am i doing wrong? I'm using Ni-MH batteries now. Do Lithium batteries do that much better? If so, where can i purchase them? Have looked all over for re-chargable Lithium AA batteries.

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
washington
oregon 400 t

Hey Timbre---I am in the same boat. I have tried several different types of batteries, and if it is cold the oregon will eat them up. I love the oregon and the features it has (this is my 3rd gps for my sled), but battery life is and issue. I ran 12 volts to the mount, and plug it in. It runs on the 12 volt supply while the sled is running, and gives you the option to either stay on running battery, or shut off when the sled is shut down. My experience has been leaving the unit running on battery when the sled is shut down allows me to run one set of batteries for multiple trips.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Hey Timbre---I am in the same boat. I have tried several different types of batteries, and if it is cold the oregon will eat them up. I love the oregon and the features it has (this is my 3rd gps for my sled), but battery life is and issue. I ran 12 volts to the mount, and plug it in. It runs on the 12 volt supply while the sled is running, and gives you the option to either stay on running battery, or shut off when the sled is shut down. My experience has been leaving the unit running on battery when the sled is shut down allows me to run one set of batteries for multiple trips.

Snomofo,
Yeh, kinda frustrating for me. Always gotta pack extra batteries. LOVE the screen and everything about it except the battery life. A couple questions...

What kind of mount did you use?
Where on your sled are you mounting it?
Any pix you can share of your setup?
What about waterproofing...will this stand up to a soggy day when on a mount and exposed to this kind of weather?
Is yours mounted in a position that will not damage the unit if the sled rolls over?

Sorry...guesss that was more than a couple questions...lol
Any info or pix would be appreciated....thanks much!

S
Nov 26, 2007
washington
garmin oregon 400t

Here are some pics of my setup---had a pretty hard crash last year, and ripped off the left side suspension, broken windshield, etc. but gps was ok. Water is no problem, I mounted the 12 v plug under the hood and brought the connector through the dash with a grommet.

Last edited:

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
nice setup! Where did you get the mount?

Wish i had a little more room on the dash for that on my dragon but with the dash air intake and the guage, there is not enough room for it.

Hummm...may have to go to plan B :)

T
Nov 27, 2007
Los Alamos, NM
Rino 520/530 vs 520hcx/530hcx ?

I have a 5 yr old Rino 120 that has poor reception in the trees. While hiking, it has about a 50% chance of reception. The guys @ Tourtech in Seattle claim the HCX on any Garmin GPS is the only way to go. For my bike, they recommended a 60CX, but I can't give up the radio and peer to peer of the Rino.

Anyone have info on hcx being better?

Snowlover,

I have read the same thing about the non hcx. I just ordered a Rino 530 HCX from Amazon.com for $364 and then you get a $50 rebate, free shipping, no tax.
All the reviews I have read state that the HCX is much, much better at picking up and KEEPING a signal. There are quite a few reviews on the web of people going from the older rino's to the newer chipset HCX's. All were impressed at the better performance.
Sorry I can't give you any personal feedback but that's what my research uncovered.

:beer;:beer;:beer;

Stovebolt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Tetons
www.bustedcompass.com
Hi,

Your mileage may vary, of course, but to pass on precaution that might save somebody some trouble and expense, Garmin specifically warns AGAINST using lithiums in the 60CSX models. Yes, lithium batts are great, and really great in the cold, but they have a potentially higher than 1.5v startup voltage spike that can cause the units to malfunction. It's right in the current 60CSX user's manual.

For what it may be worth, I got almost 4 full days of battery powered use on my unit last week on an 1134-mile trip through the desert, off-road on a dual sport motorcycle before having to change batts. Temps were in the 30's to 70's - not a terrible battery drainer as far as temps go by comparison, but I was happy with the life out of duracell alkalines. (I was on a borrowed bike without hardwired power for this trip. My personal dual-sport machine is hardwired for Garmin V and 60CSX units. Will do the same for my M8.)

Good luck and don't forget our compasses.....

Regards,

Stovey
Team Ruptured Buzzard
http://bustedcompass.com
"Never Give Up"

I use my Garmin 60 CSX with lithium batteries. The batteries are good to -40F, and I have never had trouble. It is mounted on my handlebars, and I never lose reception.

Premium Features