• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Goose Neck trailers vs 5th wheel

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I've got a 5th wheel with Anderson goose conversation.
Best move I ever made.
Can't stand the bulk of the 5th wheel hitch on the back of my truck. It's a pain to take in and out.
I watched that video. Makes sense.
Luckily I only tow my camper twice a year. Up to the lake in May, and back home again in September.
About 200 miles round trip per year.

Now my sled trailer is a goose. Love it!!

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I've got a 5th wheel with Anderson goose conversation.
Best move I ever made.
Can't stand the bulk of the 5th wheel hitch on the back of my truck. It's a pain to take in and out.
I watched that video. Makes sense.
Luckily I only tow my camper twice a year. Up to the lake in May, and back home again in September.
About 200 miles round trip per year.

Now my sled trailer is a goose. Love it!!

Why do you LOVE the Goose sled trailer?

Have you ever seen a 5th wheel snowmobile trailer?

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I also run the Andersen ultimate 5th wheel hitch. I have probably pulled mine 6k miles with no problems. After watching the video the thing you need to remember is a gooseneck trailer is designed to handle the loads of the lower hitch point. The problems come when you install the ranch adapter to make the trailer hook to the ball on the trucks bed floor. The Andersen uses a ball hook point rather than the plate and pin hook, but the ball is elevated to the 5th wheel height in the bed.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I also run the Andersen ultimate 5th wheel hitch. I have probably pulled mine 6k miles with no problems. After watching the video the thing you need to remember is a gooseneck trailer is designed to handle the loads of the lower hitch point. The problems come when you install the ranch adapter to make the trailer hook to the ball on the trucks bed floor. The Andersen uses a ball hook point rather than the plate and pin hook, but the ball is elevated to the 5th wheel height in the bed.

Im looking to go gooseneck and not 5th wheel.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Why do you LOVE the Goose sled trailer?

Have you ever seen a 5th wheel snowmobile trailer?

Got too tired of taking 5th wheel hitch in and out.
Cleaner look, more room for other stuff in bed when using goose ball than with 5th hitch.

No, I've never seen a 5th wheel sled trailer.

briandride

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2016
Fruita, CO
I have a Andersen hitch for my big toy hauler camp trailer and love it. I have never seen a 5 th wheel snowmobile/enclosed trailer before. I think the video you posted pertains more to camp trailers due to weight but not sure. I have a feeling most if not all the enclose snowmobile trailers will be goose neck. I could be wrong though.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Snowmobile gear , sleds trailers don't have dealers around here so looking to you guys and the web for advise.

The video seems to argue a 5th wheel setup is better than a GN but I figure the design of a GN compensates for the added leverage

Since there are no REAL snowmobile 5th wheel hitch trailers it is a moot issue.

With the EXTREME temps of SOCAL I would not take a SOCAL designed trailer to the snow … again. Have an old "winter" pull behind trailer and the walls are destroyed from -20 to +60 weather.

I don't even buy local wood to use up in the mountains.

Last edited:
I
Nov 14, 2018
5th hitch advantages.... your hitch is already in the truck after towing the 5th wheel camper.
No safety chains needed
Some states allow you to tow doubles, but usually the first trailer has to be a 5th wheel... not sure a cop would get to picky about GN though.
When you hook up you the 5th wheel catches the pin on the trailer.

GN advantages.
No extra 5th wheel hitch needed.
simple ball setup
stronger hitch on the trailer

I wish my 5th wheel RV was a GN

halffast800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2011
Hazel SD
I use the 5th wheel adapter for my sled trailer and my gooseneck 36 ft flatbed. Easy hook up and no neck flex are reasons for doing so. And BW hitches are so easy to remove I love it. No more lifting the trailer up to clear the tailgate and getting exactly over your ball. Just back up and it latches itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Premium Features