• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

good pin spanner for KYB shocks ?

P
Dec 5, 2021
Lake Tahoe
anyone know a good pin spanner for the KYB shocks on the Freeride ?
it's roughly a 3" collar.

i nominate the ski-doo OEM multi-tool for worst tool of the year. It doesn't fit the KYB tooth span, and the steel is so soft, it starts to round over the hook immediately. Once that happens, it's all over.

normally i'd guess something from motion pro or race tech, but maybe you snow experts have something better suited to this particular sled / shock combo ?

thx

P
Dec 5, 2021
Lake Tahoe
in case someone else has a similar problem, here's what i ended up doing to remove some preload:

jack the side/front of the sled up to remove as much spring tension as possible
use a clicker strap from the highest spring coil you can fit the hook around to the trailer bed
pull the spring down until it clears the collar
turn the collar down until the lock ring is accessible
move the lock ring up out of the way with screwdrivers or possibly snap ring pliers
spin the collar to slightly more than the desired measurement
push the lock ring down
spin the collar up to the lock ring
re-measure and adjust
release the spring as carefully as possible

never put your fingers between the collar and the retracted spring, easy way to lose a finger

my guess is that the shock is a 68mm spanner, like this one:

good luck

P
Dec 5, 2021
Lake Tahoe
FYI, the linked motion pro tool isn't nirvana. after cutting it in (just less than) half for clearance, it works.
it still doesn't fit the curve great, i used a die grinder to make it fit better.
it still isn't nirvana, but it doesn't slip like the oem one, and since the handle is in plane with the collar, it tends not to walk as much as the oem tool. YMMV.

the better solution would be to replace the preload collars with proper aluminum collars like many motorcycle shocks use. they are thicker so the grip is better and the pin spanner walking is minimized. possibly could only do this when rebuilding the shocks.

Premium Features